Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daerve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Just noticed this.

ScreenShot2012-09-14at093508.png

Nice one Apple and the least you could do.

Linky

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
i didn't see that when i preordered at 3am :confused:

i used the iphone app ,was i suppose to select that?

roken

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
I see that on the site too.

But when you look anywhere with info on "whats in the box", the adaptor isn't on the list!

So which one is right?? :confused:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
UK has different laws. I am not sure if US will get it.

We don't have a law that says Apple must include an adaptor to ensure compatibility with previous charging leads though! :D

I think the "law" you may be thinking of is an EU ruling that says all phones must come with Micro USB compatibility from Jan 2012 (I think that date is right).

It doesn't mean they must have a Micro USB connection, just that you must be able to charge via a Micro USB cable (hence Apple's adaptors).

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Perhaps that's the reason they've increased the price by £30?

Only on the 16 gig though.

16 gig i5=up £30, but with a "free" adaptor!

32 & 64 gig i5s=same price with adaptor-result! :D

----------

The extra adapter is a deal cut between the UK and Apple. USA units will only come with a lightning USB cable and charger. No adapter.

The thing is, even on the UK i5 page where it says "What's in the box", it doesn't mention the adaptor and the UK "What's in the box" page is identical to the US's....

The website is a little maddening unhelpful - I'm considering the iPod touch 5 and there's no mention of a free one included with that on the UK page. I'll see whether Amazon will be offering the adapter cheaper or in a bundle as you can usually get the iPod there for 30 quid off.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
We don't have a law that says Apple must include an adaptor to ensure compatibility with previous charging leads though! :D

I think the "law" you may be thinking of is an EU ruling that says all phones must come with Micro USB compatibility from Jan 2012 (I think that date is right).

It doesn't mean they must have a Micro USB connection, just that you must be able to charge via a Micro USB cable (hence Apple's adaptors).

If UK does get it, do you think its out of the goodness of Apple?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Saw this too, as I was about to add one to my order. They're either doing it to avoid uproar, it was a mistake or there are some consumer protection laws in place.

Either way, I took a screenshot too. If I don't get one in the box, I'm trudging down the store to show them this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.