Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mangobits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
For those who prefer/need touchy feely keys for typing, BoxWave announced a new slim slide-out keyboard for the the iPhone 5.

BoxWave's iPhone 5 Keyboard Buddy - Backlit Edition

apple_iphone_5_keyboard_buddy_case_main.jpg

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
very nice. if battery life on the 5 is good, then i might get this. otherwise i'll be occupied by a battery case

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
A tiltable model also, please!

For those who prefer/need touchy feely keys for typing, BoxWave announced a new slim slide-out keyboard for the the iPhone 5.

BoxWave's iPhone 5 Keyboard Buddy - Backlit Edition

Great! But please also make a tiltable model, where the screen and the keyboard can be placed in an appropiate or natural angle in relation to eachother! Really hope this can be done! Perhaps with a solution or mechanism involving a case to provide the angle.

I really think that many users will appreciate such an option, where you can put the device in front of you on a table and use it as a tiny computer!

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
oh wow! that's so nice! I wonder how bulky this will feel though... might purchase if it receives good reviews here.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
oh wow! that's so nice! I wonder how bulky this will feel though... might purchase if it receives good reviews here.

The unit composed or combined of both the iPhone (screen) part - although now a VERY thin one! - and a hardward keyboard with a natural/right angle to the screen part, would of course be a bit bulky, but having this combined device as an option, I think many users will choose to carry it and be able to use it for instance placed on the table in front of you, and use it to write longer texts, and perhaps also at the same time using the phone part for calls.

Especially for many professionals, lawyers etc., this is a solution that is wanted and needed, and I think there would be a solid market for such an optional accessory.

I really hope a manufacturer will make it, and I hope they will make it ALSO TILTABLE, not only as a slider (as is already available), because the natural angle between the screen and the hardware keyboard is of great importance for many of us.

All in all: Given the technological development that has taken place recently to make the parts very thin and light, I really don't think that such a combined unit will be so "bulky" or "heavy" that it will be unconvenient for most of the users who need and want this optional accessory. Perhaps Apple itself should make such an accessory.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I guess some of you will be surprised that the iPhone actually has a built in keyboard! It's awesome.

No really, why add that much bulk to have a physical keyboard? Not sure why one would like to take a step backwards. To each his own I guess.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Hardware keyboard OPTION: Not at all necessarily a step backwards!

I guess some of you will be surprised that the iPhone actually has a built in keyboard! It's awesome.

No really, why add that much bulk to have a physical keyboard? Not sure why one would like to take a step backwards. To each his own I guess.

It is evident that for many users that it will NOT be experienced as "a step backwards" to have the option or possibility of being able to write (esp. longer texts) on a hardware keyboard with a good angle to the screen, and thus NOT being CONFINED TO having to use the virtual touch screen keyboard, which many users think is not so good or convenient in life's many situations.

It would be a step forward to have the possibility of being able to choose, and a hardward tiltable keyboard/screen would still only be an accessory, which then can be removed when not needed or wanted.

And one more thing: With the present day technological development such a combined unit will NOT necessarily be bulky or heavy: The iPhone 5 "stand alone" measures and weight are now so amazingly thin and light, that a thin and light hardward keyboard to be put in a natural angle [thus must be tiltable] to the iPhone as a screen, as an accessory, is no longer "unthinkable" - but it would certainly be a very good solution for the many users who want and/or need a hardware keyboard, which really would expand the usefulness of the iPhone a lot, without being a burden for those who are not interested in it.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It is evident that for many users that it will NOT be experienced as "a step backwards" to have the option or possibility of being able to write (esp. longer texts) on a hardware keyboard with a good angle to the screen, and thus NOT being CONFINDED TO having to use the virtual touch screen keyboard, which many users think is not so good or convenient in life's many situations.

It would be a step forward to have the possibility of being able to choose, and a hardward tiltable keyboard/screen would still only be an accessory, which then can be removed when not needed or wanted.

And one more thing: With the present day technological development such a combined unit will NOT necessarily be bulky or heavy: The iPhone 5 "stand alone" measures and weight are now so amazingly thin and light, that a thin and light hardward keyboard to be put in a natural angle [thus must be tiltable] to the iPhone as a screen, as an accessory, is no longer "unthinkable" - but it would certainly be a very good solution for the many users who want and/or need a hardware keyboard, which really would expand the usefulness of the iPhone a lot, without being a burden for those who are not interested in it.

Ok. Guess you missed the "to each his own" part of my post. Have a good one.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Ok. Guess you missed the "to each his own" part of my post. Have a good one.

To put my point in a simple way: It is really my hope and wish that companies that make the present slider hardware keyboard accessory also will make a version or model that involves TILTING, so that the keyboard and screen can have an angle comparable to a tiny computer when placed for instance in front of you on the table.

This is wanted and needed by many users, and I think that it can be made in many different ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.