Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
STATUS UPDATE: Lots and lots of users getting their new iPhone 5s today. Best of luck to everyone!!

Phones are currently well on their way to their future owners. Some phones originated from warehouses in the US, Apple seemingly already prepared ahead of time for a large demand. These originated in Memphis, TN and Addison, IL. Many others have been making their way from China by way of Anchorage, AK. It appears many of them are now sitting in Louisville, KY at UPS' World Port facility getting ready to be sorted and distributed to UPS' regional delivery centers.

For those who have not had status updates on their phones in over 24 hours, it likely means it is sitting in the UPS World Port warehouse awaiting processing. For example, the flight from Anchorage at 12:58 AM on 9/18. There is no need to overanalyze this. UPS misses scans (reported to the consumer tracking system) all the time. Trust that they have your package and it's not sitting on the frozen tundra in Alaska.

You can attempt to lookup your shipment in UPS' system by following these directions:
1) Go to the UPS Tracking Page
2) Select "Track by Reference"
3) Under "Shipment Reference" enter the phone number listed in your iTunes billing information. 10 digits, no spaces, dashes, or leading 1.
  • Also try checking any other phone numbers you have such a your cell #
  • Pay attention to the account that you were signed into on the PC placing the order (some have found another family member was signed in at the time)
  • Some have also had luck using their Apple order # or just the first 8 digits of the order #
4) Click the Track button

So for any UK'ers

Syncreon 1st box: Tracking Number / 2nd box: Apple Order Number

UKMail Tracking Number goes into the "Reference Number" box. Then click on "Unsecure" and you should see your package ready for delivery!

https://www.ukmail.com/ConsignmentStatus/Default.aspx
https://seal.syncreon.com/synview-on...iew_tracking.p

If you are unable to locate your shipment in this method do not worry. It may be that the reference number is some other number you have not tried or it may mean your phone hasn't made it to UPS yet. However, in the past many phones didn't begin the shipping process until Wednesday and still arrived on Friday. If your Apple order says delivers Sep 21, all indications are that you will in fact receive it on the 21st as indicated.

You may be able to lookup your serial number by checking your Apple Support profile.
https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

Once you have your serial number, you can check it here for production details
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html
If anybody has further updates, please let me know. If you don't have a serial number yet, keep checking back. Most likely you also didn't get a tracking number yet, but a few reports say that you may get a tracking number before a serial number.
Update: Harald has updated the serial number decoder for all models we have provided info for. It should now show you your capacity/color/region when you type your serial number in.

Here is a list of the last for digits of the serial number and their corresponding model (as assembled by SmacTX):

Here's what we have so far:
64GB Black (at&t or Canadian carriers) - F38W MD644LL/A
64GB White (at&t or Canadian carriers) - F38Y MD645LL/A
32GB Black (at&t or Canadian carriers) - DTTQ MD636LL/A
32GB White (at&t or Canadian carriers) - DTTR MD637LL/A
16GB Black (at&t or Canadian carriers) - DTTN MD634LL/A
16GB White (at&t or Canadian carriers) - DTTP MD635LL/A

64GB Black (Sprint) - F8GM MD667LL/A
64GB White (Sprint) - ???? MD668LL/A
32GB Black (Sprint) - F8GK MD660LL/A
32GB White (Sprint) - F8GL MD661LL/A
16GB Black (Sprint) - F8GH MD656LL/A
16GB White (Sprint) - F8GJ or F8G7 MD657LL/A

64GB Black (Verizon) - F8H7 MD664LL/A
64GB White (Verizon) - ???? MD665LL/A
32GB Black (Verizon) - F8H5 MD658LL/A
32GB White (Verizon) - F8H6 MD659LL/A
16GB Black (Verizon) - F8H2 MD654LL/A
16GB White (Verizon) - F8H4 MD655LL/A

64GB Black (European/World Model) - F39C
64GB White (European/World Model) - F39D
32GB Black (European/World Model) - DTWG MD299B/A (UK-Unlocked)
32GB White (European/World Model) - DTWH
16GB Black (European/World Model) - DTWD
16GB White (European/World Model) - DTWF

Please let me know if you have any of the missing serial #s.

Last edited:

55test55

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Same. Were people able to change their addresses the phone ships to, or did it default to the account shipping address? I was too worried I'd have something go wrong to check. :p

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
wohooo! worked on apple store app. Got my email confirmation! FYI I was able to use different shipping address from my billing ccard.

iphone5_preorder.jpg

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Mine defaulted to the account shipping address, but I didn't try to change it. I did change the credit card from my standard card.

Rohit89

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Order Status

Hello to all my best friends for the next 8 days!

I successfully ordered the iPhone 5 before the server went down. It gave me the issue with changing the shipping address too, but logging in to AT&T and changing the account address to the shipping address did the trick for me. Now awaiting my new toy's arrival with bated breath...

On a side note, what do you think are the chances of recieving it a day early, as has been reported by fellow Apple fans in the past...

:apple:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Hahaha, I like that. Best friends for 8 days. I know they delivered early for the 4, but I want to say they got it under controls for the 4S. But we can always hope! :D

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I used a friends account and his upgrade to buy the phone. I ordered using the iPhone app. The shipping address is not his billing address on his Verizon account, I used my billing address to process my debit card... I then went back on Verizon.com and changed his billing address to the same billing address associated with my debit card. Is my order going to be canceled?

Last edited:

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
2 Weeks?

On the order page, it says "Available to Ship: Two weeks" Is this right, or will I get my phone on the 21st?

Also, if I'm ordering two phones on an ATT mobileshare plan, do I really have to place two separate orders? If so, do I choose the same plan for each and not worry about paying for two different plans?

jennyfer

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered a phone for my dad through the iphone app. The billing address is for me but the shipping address is for him. Do you think this will go through? My order status has changed to Processing but his order hasn't changed yet. They were ordered within 3 minutes of each other.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered a phone for my dad through the iphone app. The billing address is for me but the shipping address is for him. Do you think this will go through? My order status has changed to Processing but his order hasn't changed yet. They were ordered within 3 minutes of each other.

Processing or Processing Items?

----------

On the order page, it says "Available to Ship: Two weeks" Is this right, or will I get my phone on the 21st?

Also, if I'm ordering two phones on an ATT mobileshare plan, do I really have to place two separate orders? If so, do I choose the same plan for each and not worry about paying for two different plans?

Wondering if they've already run out of day one phones?!?!! Doesn't sound right. They usually don't start back ordering till late morning.

I wouldn't worry too much tonight. Just check it in the AM.

----------

I used a friends account and his upgrade to buy the phone. I ordered using the iPhone app. The shipping address is not his billing address on his Verizon account and I used my billing address to process my debit card... I then went back on Verizon.com and changed his billing address to the billing address linked to my debit card. Is my order going to be canceled?

Don't have an answer for you guys on this. Hope not.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I had to go through the Apple Store app. Took me about 10 minutes.

Current status for me:

We've received your order
Available to ship: Delivers 9/21

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Went through the appstore app and got this confirmation email:

Dear Apple Customer,

Your iPhone has been reserved and your reservation number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We will email when we’re able to reach the carrier systems. The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link. You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm also showing 2 week ship time on the black 64 gig I ordered. I tried Att.com and Apple.com repeatedly since about 1:55 AM CST and finally got into Apple.com at about 2:45 AM. The whole time during my order it said "delivers 9/21" and then immediately after placing the order it changed to "available to ship: two weeks" :(

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Same. Were people able to change their addresses the phone ships to, or did it default to the account shipping address? I was too worried I'd have something go wrong to check. :p

No. I wasn't able to change it. I'm going to have to try to get it changed tomorrow since I live 2 hours away from the default account address.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The Apple Store app on my phone actually went live before Apples website or ATT but I could only purchase 1 phone at a time.

A Few minutes later the site went live and I actually had zero problems from start to finish getting 3 phones ordered and checked out.

Much better than the last 2 pre-orders.

2 white and 1 black.

It was weird though, my iMac showed the Apple store still in maintenance but when i tried from my wife's right next to me the store loaded. Same from iPad and MBA. Only loaded on her computer immediately after 2:01am Cst.

MattSorkinNyC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I'm also showing 2 week ship time on the black 64 gig I ordered. I tried Att.com and Apple.com repeatedly since about 1:55 AM CST and finally got into Apple.com at about 2:45 AM. The whole time during my order it said "delivers 9/21" and then immediately after placing the order it changed to "available to ship: two weeks" :(

Basically the same sexact thing for me buddy, i ordered the 32gb black.

iZeeshan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Anyone have any idea how big of a problem it is if I got the billing address wrong?

My debit card was already charged full amount.

Can I wait till tomorrow to call them?

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Placed order at 3:40AM for iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate (GSM), AT&T

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I ordered at 3:25am through the Apple Store after linking through ShopDiscover for 5% cashback.

iPhone 5 64GB Black & Slate (GSM), AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.