Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:51 PM   #76
nikhsub1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
Those who want better sound quality.
Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile.
Desktop --> The Beast
nikhsub1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:52 PM   #77
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
I have the connected drive pkg too... Uses a regular dock connector. They must have changed it for 2012. Bizarre.
Interesting. Does it also have the iPod out feature?

I'm thinking that it's only the BMW-specific iPod out feature that won't work (as it's actually called 'iPod out', rather than iPod connectivity or the like).

I can't remember whether or not the music playback feature works with just the white Apple cable connected, but I do know that for the ConnectedDrive features/BMW Apps/video playback I need the Y cable connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile.
Way to generalize.

Subpar car audio system, yeah, not in my cars.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:52 PM   #78
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
I'm not but the sound is clearly better with a direct wired connection over bluetooth. Compare the two sometime. It isn't hard to hear the difference.

Also, FCC regs apply that the device must accept any and all interference from surrounding sources and with bluetooth, it does.
NewAnger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:47 PM   #79
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Does ixodes think that we leave our phones in our car all day long in the heat of the day or something? I really hope it was a troll post.
I know you don't, I was responding to another poster... see for yourself.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=57
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:03 PM   #80
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.
Does it have idrive? You should be able to use a standard 30-pin cable.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:10 PM   #81
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozar View Post
Mine goes to 11....

This is for the true audiophile who also uses cable feet to keep all cables elevated off any surface, and "room harmonizers" using specific resonance material to offset any conflicting standing waves which might alter the audio quality.
I plan to burn in my new Lightning cable for a min of 200hrs prior to use sending digital pink noise through it utilizing "Dave's special all natural green full spectrum pink noise break-in cd" which guarantees to "lift the veil" from your digital audio!

Take a deep breath
I'll give that a 7.341/10

A full 10 though if you use these cables:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-De.../dp/B000I1X6PM

A review:

3,928 of 3,999 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars I don't have much time., June 23, 2008
By*John L. (Border of Wasteland, Former USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be sometime around 2007 for whomever is reading this. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES. Something... happens with them. Something came through, something from somewhere else. We were overrun in days, not many of us are left. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND! ONLY YOU CAN STOP IT NOW. SAVE US. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES.

I don't have much time. This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be--
danpass is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:26 PM   #82
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Time to sell my BMW I guess.
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:51 PM   #83
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
Interesting. Does it also have the iPod out feature?
Off hand I'm not sure. I never hook up my phone b/c I then forget to take it out. I have a shuffle hooked up & I know that does not have the iPod interface, just the BMW one. I'll have to hook up my iPhone and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:01 PM   #84
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

According to PC World: ipod out not supported.

Unfortunately, there's also a second frustration with the adapters themselves, and it has to do with Apple's changeover to an all-digital 8-pin port. With both adapters, Apple says you'll get analog audio output, USB audio output, iPhone/iPod syncing, and iPhone/iPod charging. But—and this is important—neither adapter supports iPod Video Out or its iPod Out protocol.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:33 PM   #85
Tylox
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

And...the adapter is $30 bucks....
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:34 PM   #86
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylox View Post
And the adaptor does NOT support iPod out.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:52 PM   #87
trevorlc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.
You do not have to use that splitter cable....

My 2009 BMW 335 had that cable, they transferred it to my new 2012 when I bought it but they said you can use the regular USB that comes with the phone. I had never done it because I always use the snap in dock for my phone but you freaked me out so I just went and used a standard Apple iPod cable and the stereo gets music, allows control, playlists and even still will do album art and BMW Apps. Only 2 things I didn't see available via the regular USB cable VS the Snap in dock is Video and that weird iPod Interface (pictured above) that I think is what we now know to be called ipod out. No problem for me though because I always use the ipod interface in the regular media section anyways.

Based on this I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will work fine via cable until they come out with a new snap in dock.

Last edited by trevorlc; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
trevorlc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:58 PM   #88
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyshakes View Post
Well....for playing movies and music its not always the best or best quality option to BlueTooth it for my car...
op you say you have a new audi yet don't use BT audio or even think the quality isn't as good as plug in over BT? lol i have a 2011 VW gti and use BT audio every can't even tell the difference when i plug in and use it through MMI
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #89
Sean4123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
Bluetooth that sucker... Cable connections were so 2011.
If sound quality is no big deal to you then ya, "bluetooth that sucka all day, yo."

But if you are an audiophile, you are gonna want to usb that sucka all day...yo.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:04 PM   #90
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
If sound quality is no big deal to you then ya, "bluetooth that sucka all day, yo."

But if you are an audiophile, you are gonna want to usb that sucka all day...yo.
lol if you really were an "audiophile" you probably would use CDs. BTA sounds fantastic in modern cars,it's music coming out of an iPhone it does the job.
iapplelove is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #91
AceFernalld
macrumors 6502a

I'm wicked confused. If my car has a head unit with USB input and I buy this new iPhone, will I be able to get audio via the USB - Lightning cable or will I have to use a 30 pin cable with an adapter?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #92
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I'm in the same boat... Ford with MS Sync. Guess I'll find out next week when I get the device.

Ugh, I dread having to either buy all new cables everywhere I sit my phone down.
Great news for you and Chris. Ford sync systems use USB connect that is digital - no analog is required. So the iPhone will work with a Lightning to USB cable. The newer cars also support bluetooth connect. I have a Edge with MyFord Touch and have been using iOS 6 in it for the entire time of the beta without any problem, in fact iOS 6 adds support for the Bluetooth MAP protocol allowing Sync to read you your texts.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:19 PM   #93
AceFernalld
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdar View Post
Great news for you and Chris. Ford sync systems use USB connect that is digital - no analog is required. So the iPhone will work with a Lightning to USB cable.
Does this mean playback control over the head unit will remain intact?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:28 PM   #94
1m4tr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdar View Post
Great news for you and Chris. Ford sync systems use USB connect that is digital - no analog is required. So the iPhone will work with a Lightning to USB cable. The newer cars also support bluetooth connect. I have a Edge with MyFord Touch and have been using iOS 6 in it for the entire time of the beta without any problem, in fact iOS 6 adds support for the Bluetooth MAP protocol allowing Sync to read you your texts.
That indeed is great news. Thanks for that scoop for us SYNC users.
1m4tr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:35 PM   #95
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFernalld View Post
I'm wicked confused. If my car has a head unit with USB input and I buy this new iPhone, will I be able to get audio via the USB - Lightning cable or will I have to use a 30 pin cable with an adapter?
You should be good to go.
No adapter needed.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:42 PM   #96
tigress666
macrumors 68040

I believe this is what I have installed in my Celica:

http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_cel...05_car_kit.php

Anyone know if the adaptor will work with this for controlling the songs?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:43 PM   #97
M87
macrumors 65816

The adapter has a DAC. (it converts digital audio to analog, that article you posted is pure BS)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:46 PM   #98
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylox View Post
The OP drives an Audi so that is likely not a concern.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:48 PM   #99
BFizzzle
Banned

usb adapter for my car to charge, and bluetooth for my stereo
no problems here
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:51 PM   #100
brandnewrock22
macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2012 Civic LX in June--no bluetooth, just a USB connector in the armrest.

This will work, since I'd be able to plug my Lightning USB directly into the USB slot--right?

I have only hooked up my iPhone 4 via USB with the car so far, but it's worked flawlessly. I'm not too familiar with the compatibility with other devices.
brandnewrock22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone