Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:56 PM   #101
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewrock22 View Post
I just bought a 2012 Civic LX in June--no bluetooth, just a USB connector in the armrest.

This will work, since I'd be able to plug my Lightning USB directly into the USB slot--right?

I have only hooked up my iPhone 4 via USB with the car so far, but it's worked flawlessly. I'm not too familiar with the compatibility with other devices.
I'm asking the same question since many 2012 Honda models only has a USB digital port to connect either a USB thumb drive or an iPod/iPhone/iPad. I wonder will the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT allow me to directly connect the iPhone 5 to the car stereo with the cable supplied with the phone and allow the car stereo to directly control the iPod functionality on the iPhone 5?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:03 AM   #102
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Bad news: you will no longer be able to navigate through your songs and play them via the screen on your dashboard.
If your interface uses iPod Out. Which is why the product details state the iPod Out is not supported. Not all interfaces rely on iPod Out. This is covered in many recent threads on this topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
I believe this is what I have installed in my Celica:

http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_cel...05_car_kit.php

Anyone know if the adaptor will work with this for controlling the songs?
That interface does not use iPod Out. If your interface emulates a CD changer, SAT radio, etc it's not using iPod Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
Bluetooth that sucker... Cable connections were so 2011.
"X was so YYYY" statements are just as ridiculous as any other broad, sweeping generalization. Going cable free isn't everyone's top priority. For some, BT audio quality isn't sufficient among other reasons. As with any topic, don't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what year it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Yea WTF. Who uses cables?
Plenty do. "I don't use X" != "No one uses X". Should be pretty obvious through real world observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Generally people that buy high quality luxury cars are smart enough to understand the proper care & feeding of a smartphone.
One has nothing to do with the other. Understanding proper care & use of a smartphone isn't exclusive to luxury car owners. There are luxury car owners that know nothing about smartphones. There are people that don't own luxury cars that understand proper care & use of a smartphone. All types of people drive all types of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile.
It's all relative. BT audio can be further compressed. One can not care for it without being an "audiophile". Audio's a very subjective matter and there's a whole spectrum of preference out there -- not just what you prefer and "audiophile".

Further, not all audio compression is equal. While compressed audio can be "uber compressed" with a lot of artifacting it's not a must. Be careful with broad, sweeping generalizations -- especially when they're based on your specific prefrences.

Last edited by takeshi74; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
takeshi74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:07 AM   #103
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

It's funny how the old school 3.5mm input I have in my 07 Mazda 3 will continue working while all of the "fancier" 30-pin connectors in newer cars will need an adapter for the iPhone 5.

I'm not bragging though, boy would song switching via the steering wheel be nice!!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:11 AM   #104
trevorlc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
It's funny how the old school 3.5mm input I have in my 07 Mazda 3 will continue working while all of the "fancier" 30-pin connectors in newer cars will need an adapter for the iPhone 5.

I'm not bragging though, boy would song switching via the steering wheel be nice!!
I'd guess this right here is part of the reason all the early adopting car manufactures stopped using the 30 pin dock connector, for the more universal USB over the years since the first ipod integration car systems. Well that and so they could dual purpose the port for Android phones and possible other future expansion. The USB in some cars you can just throw a flash drive in with MP3's on it.
trevorlc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:12 AM   #105
Aeroflux
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
lol if you really were an "audiophile" you probably would use CDs. BTA sounds fantastic in modern cars,it's music coming out of an iPhone it does the job.
The hell with that. Real audiophiles spin the 12". Analog FTMFW.

Seriously though...if you like music it is common sense to have a clean source. If you use BT you are choosing convenience over music quality. Which is fine for most people, just not for audiophiles.

Oh...for those who think MP3 is the best iphone can offer, apple lossless has been around for a while.
Aeroflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:53 AM   #106
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

I'm watching the keynote and now I'm certain that the 'adapter does not work for iPod out' only applies to BMW models regarding this feature:

They clearly show an Audi in the keynote with the adapter for the Audi Media Interface plugged in, and Schiller says you can 'plug in your iPhone 5, and you can charge, and listen to your music as you go'.

So if the connector is a 30-pin connector with a proprietary plug on the other end (like the Audi Media Interface), then use the adapter. If it's just a normal USB port, use your shiny new Lightning cable.

I'm still not certain how Y cables work though...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:06 AM   #107
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorlc View Post
You do not have to use that splitter cable....
Much as i appreciate being told what's what, yes I do.

I don't have a screen in the car that's capable of showing video/album art, so I'm pretty sure I must have a different entertainment package to what you have in yours - and it DOES NOT WORK with the standard USB cable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish5736 View Post
Does it have idrive? You should be able to use a standard 30-pin cable.
No idea. It's a company car - I didn't get to choose the features/options.

EDIT: Looking at the BMW website, looks like it does have idrive. Still doesn't work with the standard cable though.

Last edited by TopToffee; Sep 15, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
TopToffee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:12 AM   #108
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
Much as i appreciate being told what's what, yes I do.

I don't have a screen in the car that's capable of showing video/album art, so I'm pretty sure I must have a different entertainment package to what you have in yours - and it DOES NOT WORK with the standard USB cable.
iDrive consists of the color display in the center stack and a rotating knob in the center console. Doesn't sound like you have it, but I thought the 2012 3-series came with iDrive as standard equipment?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:18 AM   #109
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
iDrive consists of the color display in the center stack and a rotating knob in the center console. Doesn't sound like you have it, but I thought the 2012 3-series came with iDrive as standard equipment?
Yeah, I have got idrive. Standard cable, as I've said, doesn't work though. Went to bmw dealership after I got the car and spoke to a guy I know there. He pointed me in the direction of the splitter cable.

He wasn't trying to pull a fast one either, because he recommended I buy it from eBay, rather than the £45(!) version bmw sell.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:25 AM   #110
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, I have got idrive. Standard cable, as I've said, doesn't work though. Went to bmw dealership after I got the car and spoke to a guy I know there. He pointed me in the direction of the splitter cable.

He wasn't trying to pull a fast one either, because he recommended I buy it from eBay, rather than the £45(!) version bmw sell.
Ah okay. You saying that you didn't have a screen to show album art threw me for a bit as even the barebones 5 series loaner I had displayed album artwork, leading me to think that you didn't have a color display at all.

My M5 uses the Y-split cable too, supposedly sound goes out through the analogue bit and controls (and video/BMW apps) etc through the USB, so I guess it won't work with the adapter. Time to shell out more big bucks for the BMW cable that'll come out in about three hundred years!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:26 AM   #111
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFernalld View Post
Does this mean playback control over the head unit will remain intact?
Yes
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:39 AM   #112
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ah okay. You saying that you didn't have a screen to show album art threw me for a bit as even the barebones 5 series loaner I had displayed album artwork, leading me to think that you didn't have a color display at all.

My M5 uses the Y-split cable too, supposedly sound goes out through the analogue bit and controls (and video/BMW apps) etc through the USB, so I guess it won't work with the adapter. Time to shell out more big bucks for the BMW cable that'll come out in about three hundred years!
To be honest, it's not a big deal for me really. My iPhone sits in a tomtom cradle attached to the windscreen (which of course also won't work now - THAT'S a much bigger issue) and i have an old iPod Touch that just sits in the arm rest with all my music on it, and that'll obviously still work fine.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:44 AM   #113
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
To be honest, it's not a big deal for me really. My iPhone sits in a tomtom cradle attached to the windscreen (which of course also won't work now - THAT'S a much bigger issue) and i have an old iPod Touch that just sits in the arm rest with all my music on it, and that'll obviously still work fine.
I leave my iPod in the car too as I always seem to forget my phone in the center compartment if I connect that up, but I'm still a bit disappointed that I won't be able to use the BMW Apps/ConnectedDrive features anymore.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:50 AM   #114
Hippyshakes
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Unless you have a premium sound system in your car and your tracks are apple lossless, most people probably won't notice the difference in quality between BT and USB.
The Audi I drive has a Bang and Olufsen and yes - I can tell the difference between wired and BT. Mostly however I like the safety and convenience of on screen control and seeing album art etc.

I just wish we would have known sooner about no video out. In the long run I am sure an adapter will come out that will solve the issue.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
op you say you have a new audi yet don't use BT audio or even think the quality isn't as good as plug in over BT? lol i have a 2011 VW gti and use BT audio every can't even tell the difference when i plug in and use it through MMI
Thats right I do have a new Audi A6 and the BT sound is subpar to the Video/Audio proprietary cable.

With the new lightning adpater we lose the video out and that takes away from some at least very cool on screen control and video play features.

Its no tthe end of the world but it is poorly communicated and it would seem poorly planned at this point....

I will jsut use my iPhone 4 for video and audio until a solve comes out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
The OP drives an Audi so that is likely not a concern.

And again - the adapter wont work for SEVERAL car types since we lose VIDEO OUT.

No on screen album art, video play, some song control.

----------

Quote:
I'm watching the keynote and now I'm certain that the 'adapter does not work for iPod out' only applies to BMW models regarding this feature:

They clearly show an Audi in the keynote with the adapter for the Audi Media Interface plugged in, and Schiller says you can 'plug in your iPhone 5, and you can charge, and listen to your music as you go'.

So if the connector is a 30-pin connector with a proprietary plug on the other end (like the Audi Media Interface), then use the adapter. If it's just a normal USB port, use your shiny new Lightning cable.

I'm still not certain how Y cables work though...
Yes charge and listen. You lose some control, video out, video play. Also the wiring shown in the presentation is NOT how audi wires today. What is shown appears like custom wiring the eay it is routed.
Hippyshakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:03 AM   #115
glowe84
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
If your interface uses iPod Out. Which is why the product details state the iPod Out is not supported. Not all interfaces rely on iPod Out. This is covered in many recent threads on this topic.

That interface does not use iPod Out. If your interface emulates a CD changer, SAT radio, etc it's not using iPod Out.

"X was so YYYY" statements are just as ridiculous as any other broad, sweeping generalization. Going cable free isn't everyone's top priority. For some, BT audio quality isn't sufficient among other reasons. As with any topic, don't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what year it is.

Plenty do. "I don't use X" != "No one uses X". Should be pretty obvious through real world observation.

One has nothing to do with the other. Understanding proper care & use of a smartphone isn't exclusive to luxury car owners. There are luxury car owners that know nothing about smartphones. There are people that don't own luxury cars that understand proper care & use of a smartphone. All types of people drive all types of cars.

It's all relative. BT audio can be further compressed. One can not care for it without being an "audiophile". Audio's a very subjective matter and there's a whole spectrum of preference out there -- not just what you prefer and "audiophile".

Further, not all audio compression is equal. While compressed audio can be "uber compressed" with a lot of artifacting it's not a must. Be careful with broad, sweeping generalizations -- especially when they're based on your specific prefrences.
Well said. Furthermore, most Bluetooth streaming is crap. I for one, prefer lossless types in a pretty decent vehicle. Bluetooth sounds like a muffled whistle bat in comparison. But I understand for some it can work great.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroflux View Post
The hell with that. Real audiophiles spin the 12". Analog FTMFW.

Seriously though...if you like music it is common sense to have a clean source. If you use BT you are choosing convenience over music quality. Which is fine for most people, just not for audiophiles.

Oh...for those who think MP3 is the best iphone can offer, apple lossless has been around for a while.
I really question those who blindly promote BT audio instead of cables for audio. There really is no argument.
glowe84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:03 AM   #116
philfry
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoGuy18 View Post
I'm asking the same question since many 2012 Honda models only has a USB digital port to connect either a USB thumb drive or an iPod/iPhone/iPad. I wonder will the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT allow me to directly connect the iPhone 5 to the car stereo with the cable supplied with the phone and allow the car stereo to directly control the iPod functionality on the iPhone 5?
I have a 2012 Civic EX and since Honda uses USB Audio, it should work fine with the new connector. I just wish the BT would display track information in this car.
philfry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:08 AM   #117
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by philfry View Post
I have a 2012 Civic EX and since Honda uses USB Audio, it should work fine with the new connector. I just wish the BT would display track information in this car.
I still wonder, though, will the Honda car stereos that use digital USB input still allow me to change tracks, do fast skip through a track and even display track information with the iPhone 5's all-digital connection?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:13 AM   #118
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes my 2012 335i comes with iDrive standard. iPod setup is extra and that has a 30 pin. I'm fairly sure the adapter won't work because the interface for the iPhone is a perfect fit.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:28 AM   #119
desithugsr
macrumors newbie

I am curious about something.

Doesn't Apple post schematics / code about the functionality / programing capabilities for these devices for developers as part of the iPod/iPhone hardware developer program?

I imagine BMW and all these other car audio providers had this information in order to develop these products they use.

I would think Apple wants to continue the availability of this information through the developer portal. I guess I expect all these things to start utilizing this digital only methodology, and ideally, through USB. Not sure how video works here though.

Here's the program: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Anyone have a chance to review this and have any insights?

Thoughts?
desithugsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:54 AM   #120
abercrombie
macrumors regular

Still live in my parent's basement and use their 2000 Accord, it has a tape deck that I use with the headphone jack. Newer cars that my richer friends have have headphone jack cords. This should solve all problems.
abercrombie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 AM   #121
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Thanks. That got covered in another thread but this one had me worried that it was more than just ipod out I needed to worry about (talking about two lines going out in a y or something).

Heh, I had some one call my setup "ghetto" one time (in reference to why BMW's was better). I wish I knew who he was so I can say, nyah! It may be "ghetto" (I personally think it's great, it's a helluva lot less ghetto than the FM transmitters), but at least it will still work on the new iphone .

Not that I use my iphone much in it (I actually dedicate an old ipod that i leave in a pocket), but I do use it when I want to use the GPS (and it's nice it can charge my phone while I use the GPS and put the instructions over the car speakers so I can hear them. If I just had to use the iphone itself I'd have to turn the radio down really low to hear it as I have pretty bad hearing).
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:26 AM   #122
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:

hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:32 AM   #123
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish5736 View Post
hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.
I don't have built in satnav, nor an HD screen afaik. It's a relatively simply text only screen (with the exception of graphics that pop up when you put the car in sport or comfort mode)... No video or anything like that.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:42 PM   #124
kcossabo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I hope you're right, but I'm just telling you what they told me. However, given Apple's attitude/position, I really don't think they think it's their responsibility to make sure the iPhone 5 works with current accessories, but the responsibility lies with the accessory manufacturer. But, yeah, I think Apple's giving everyone involved the middle finger.

----------

It has to be a joke. Got many people though.
What we need...

kcossabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #125
digitalfx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.
2012 uses a new box that doesnt require the splitter cable. Do you have the combox?
You should be ok
digitalfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone