Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #126
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyshakes View Post
The Audi I drive has a Bang and Olufsen and yes - I can tell the difference between wired and BT. Mostly however I like the safety and convenience of on screen control and seeing album art etc.

I just wish we would have known sooner about no video out. In the long run I am sure an adapter will come out that will solve the issue.
Yeah you have a premium audio system. I do not. My Nissan is stock. I think it just a Bose CD changer but I'm pretty sure my speakers are not, or else Bose speakers suck. I was upset at first about this adapter shennanigans, but since it really doesn't affect me, I'm going to be putting a new deck in to go BT and do away with wires. By the time I'm able to afford a nice luxury car and premium audio system we'll probably be on iPhone 10 and they'll have some new standard or something.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:00 PM   #127
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Yeah you have a premium audio system. I do not. My Nissan is stock. I think it just a Bose CD changer but I'm pretty sure my speakers are not, or else Bose speakers suck. I was upset at first about this adapter shennanigans, but since it really doesn't affect me, I'm going to be putting a new deck in to go BT and do away with wires. By the time I'm able to afford a nice luxury car and premium audio system we'll probably be on iPhone 10 and they'll have some new standard or something.
You're going to pay all that money to put in a high-end deck just to play music through Bluetooth? You should be aiming a little bit higher and looking for a wired set-up. Sure, everyone is like "wires? Bad!", but they offer the best fidelity. Plus, they can charge your phone.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:04 PM   #128
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunter View Post
How is it not going to work? The adapter is just that, an adapter. Analog to digital.

Apple wouldn't release something that doesn't work.
They released Siri....
MuddyPaws1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:06 PM   #129
SonoViva
macrumors 6502

I love how they showed iPhone 5 plugged into a BMW in the keynote and this **** is happening. BMW better update the cable. Their iPod hookup was a major selling point for me to get another lease with them over any other car.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #130
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
2012 uses a new box that doesnt require the splitter cable. Do you have the combox?
You should be ok
Don't think so. No idea what it is tbh. All I know is the simple usb lead doesn't work, only the splitter cable.

All there is in my centre console/armrest is a USB port and an audio jack. Both of which need to be connected to the iPhone in order for it to feed through to the car's audio system.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:12 PM   #131
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoViva View Post
I love how they showed iPhone 5 plugged into a BMW in the keynote and this **** is happening. BMW better update the cable. Their iPod hookup was a major selling point for me to get another lease with them over any other car.
How should we place the pressure on BMW to make a new cable? Is there a feedback website so we can start blasting them? I see a new cable as the only true solution, the adaptor is a bandaid.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:13 PM   #132
albert1028
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.
And you don't use the A2DP bluetooth on it? It supports album work too.
albert1028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:14 PM   #133
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
All there is in my centre console/armrest is a USB port and an audio jack. Both of which need to be connected to the iPhone in order for it to feed through to the car's audio system.
Mine has the exact same set-up. We need a new splitter cable with the Lightening connector on it.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:17 PM   #134
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
If you have a cable in your car already, you can use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271043461286...84.m1497.l2649
That will be so useful for so many things!
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:17 PM   #135
SonoViva
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
How should we place the pressure on BMW to make a new cable? Is there a feedback website so we can start blasting them? I see a new cable as the only true solution, the adaptor is a bandaid.
customerrelations@bmwusa.com - At least if enough people contact them, whoever receives the emails will report the feedback to someone. I'd be happy just knowing if they're working on it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:18 PM   #136
MH01
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepremiere View Post
Bluetooth that sucker... Cable connections were so 2011.
Bluetooth for you Audio..... DUDE! Thats like recommending Monster headphones to Audiophiles....

If you know a thing of two about music or really care about it, cable all the way!
MH01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:20 PM   #137
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Well, there's really no huge reason to love it. Basically anyone who used to connect their iPhone to the 30 pin connector will be now be basically connecting their iPhone into a makeshift Aux jack now. Except the adaptor will give the ability to charge your phone in addition, where the aux jack does not. Myself, I'll definitely be missing the songs on the screen of my dash. Or maybe I'll keep my 4S as an iPod. Having to sync 2 devices could be cumbersome though.
Why not just a previous generation nano? Sell the 4S for more money. Syncing 2 devices isn't that big of a hassle, especially for the payoff of having the iPod fully integrated into the car. Plus, if you have a dedicated car iPod you don't have to plug it in and unplug it every time.
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:27 PM   #138
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
And you don't use the A2DP bluetooth on it? It supports album work too.
I have my phone connected via bluetooth so i can take calls on the built in hands free kit... but music doesn't play through it.

If there's a way of making it do that, i'd be interested, but haven't found it so far.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:22 PM   #139
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoViva View Post
customerrelations@bmwusa.com - At least if enough people contact them, whoever receives the emails will report the feedback to someone. I'd be happy just knowing if they're working on it.
I sent my email.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
Why not just a previous generation nano? Sell the 4S for more money. Syncing 2 devices isn't that big of a hassle, especially for the payoff of having the iPod fully integrated into the car. Plus, if you have a dedicated car iPod you don't have to plug it in and unplug it every time.
This is an option, but I'm really spoiled with having 64gb of space for my music. However, keeping my 4S is definitely an option too. But, I'm air headed sometimes and leave my car unlocked. An iPhone 4S sitting in my car would be quite a find. I've even had my Y-cable stolen before.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:26 PM   #140
bmwtech113
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee
Quote:
Full Article

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...s-in-the-dust/

Excerpt:

The fact that the Lightning port uses eight purely digital pins calls into question whether the Lightning adapter would actually work with many cars' existing iPod or even USB ports. Current Kia and Hyundai models, and older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car. Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles.

My new Audi A6 is in question and damn but if this is important to me....

More to follow I guess
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.
The 2012 3 series only requires the white cable that came with your iPhone/iPod. The splitter is not nessecary.
bmwtech113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #141
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Just kicking the beehive here....but how much are you guys willing to dole out for updated cables/solutions from you car manufacturers?

If BMW or Audi comes back and says we can update it but it'll run $49 to fix? Or $79, $99 or $199?

I suspect a lot of people expect (or at least hope) for them to provide a free upgrade to fix a problem that Apple created for them.

But if Apple is making tons of money off adapters, I'm sure they won't pass up the golden opportunity as well.

Last edited by mantan; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:19 PM   #142
rwhite692
macrumors newbie

So all of the folks with ANY car stereo head unit that provides playlist control, who have been able to control / navigate playlists via our head unit touchscreen are now completely out of luck.

You are going to be forced to navigate the playlist by picking up and using the damn phone.

"No! Honestly officer, I wasn't making a call, I was just choosing a song...!"

What is the solution going to be? A third-party "black box" to connect between the iphone5, and our head units?
rwhite692 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:02 PM   #143
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
And again - the adapter wont work for SEVERAL car types since we lose VIDEO OUT.

No on screen album art, video play, some song control.

Yes charge and listen. You lose some control, video out, video play. Also the wiring shown in the presentation is NOT how audi wires today. What is shown appears like custom wiring the eay it is routed.
The slide where they showed the iPhone 5 being hooked up to the Audi was an older model with the 2G MMI- certainly nothing like my B8 S4 or your C7 A6. Might have been a C6 A6 or D2 A8? The AMI 'door' looks similar to that of the AMI door I've seen on several other Audi models lately which makes me think that isn't a custom job.

Either way I'm not losing too much as long as I still keep controls and artist/song track on my MMI- I don't get album art/video playback either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
Yes my 2012 335i comes with iDrive standard. iPod setup is extra and that has a 30 pin. I'm fairly sure the adapter won't work because the interface for the iPhone is a perfect fit.
It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a perfect fit- the Lightning connector is all digital and audio with the BMW cable goes out thru the analogue jack so the adapter doesn't work. We'll need to wait for a new cable unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish5736 View Post
hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
2012 uses a new box that doesnt require the splitter cable. Do you have the combox?
You should be ok
My M5 has the CIC navigation system with the Combox (Office features - Bluetooth A2DP - 6FL) and it uses the Y split cable.

Euro spec car though.

Quote:
I have my phone connected via bluetooth so i can take calls on the built in hands free kit... but music doesn't play through it.

If there's a way of making it do that, i'd be interested, but haven't found it so far.
I can't remember for certain as my BMW is back in Hong Kong, but Bluetooth audio should be under CD/Multimedia>External Devices if equipped.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #144
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

You guys are cute with your 30 pin cables, I don't even have AUX in my car

[Beamer E46]
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:14 PM   #145
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtech113 View Post
Wirelessly posted

The 2012 3 series only requires the white cable that came with your iPhone/iPod. The splitter is not nessecary.
I know I've said the same thing about 27 times in this thread, but my 2012 3 series (which, granted, is probably a very basic model, with few extras, since it's a company car) DOES NOT WORK with just the standard white cable. It requires a splitter cable. As confirmed to me by the dealer, and by the fact that it doesn't work without it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:13 PM   #146
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
So all of the folks with ANY car stereo head unit that provides playlist control, who have been able to control / navigate playlists via our head unit touchscreen are now completely out of luck.
I'm not sure, because for many iPod-compatible third party car stereos and the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT the ONLY connection from the iPod to the car player is the digital USB connection--it does not use the audio out "pin" of the old iPod connector. This is why I wonder will the iPhone 5 still work like a regular iPod if the car stereo only uses the USB connection and the car stereo can still control the player.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:45 PM   #147
pbrooks
macrumors regular

I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the Sync/My Ford Touch system with USB in. I'm not worried about any of this because my iphone is a phone. I have a 120gb iPod Classic that stays in the car with my entire music library.

You guys with the BMWs with with iPhone/Twitter/Facebook. Maybe pay less attention to posting online and pay more attention to the road while behind the wheel. That way you don't selfishly put the lives of others on the line.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:08 PM   #148
boomhower
macrumors 65816

My work vehicle is a 2012 Charger and it has a USB port. It had better work as it's an absolute deal breaker. I spend 12 hour shifts in that car and it's gotten way to important for me. Being able to control song changes from the steering wheel as well as the touch screen is extremely important. I can't imagine going back to hunting the phone to change songs again. No way no how. Everything seems to point to it working just fine.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:49 PM   #149
Menel
macrumors 68040

F you guys.
My 2005 Acura still came with a tape deck.

>:-(

Whoaaaa... I just realized its older than iPhone... Period... Dayum
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:37 PM   #150
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

I'm praying my 5 integrates with my Ford Escape's Sync system without problems. As everyone else has said, I too have become spoiled by my steering wheel controls and voice commands.
CoolBradG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone