Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I just preordered the iPhone 5 for me and my father, but didn't even realize that it will be shipping in "2 weeks" (2 weeks from today, or 2 weeks from release [9/21]?).

Now I see that some people are actually upgrading online through ATT and getting their iPhones shipped/delivered on launch day. Since I already went through Apple I'm pretty much stuck with what I got (or am I?), considering the ATT now has me in the system as having upgraded (was fully eligible) and I don't want to mess things up by confusing the system or due to lack of communication between Apple and ATT.

*Is there any way, however, that I can show up to the Apple Store on launch day and perhaps switch the purchase to an in-store pick-up, considering it is already paid for and will not have even shipped by then?

*Any idea in general how to get my iPhone 5 as early as possible?

Otherwise I will just be patient, as I am actually quite satisfied with the iPhone 4, it is an excellent device. However, I am obviously looking forward to having a new gadget to play with and wouldn't mind getting it ASAP.

Thanks for any helpful responses.

hellspawn2

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I just preordered the iPhone 5 for me and my father, but didn't even realize that it will be shipping in "2 weeks" (2 weeks from today, or 2 weeks from release [9/21]?).

Now I see that some people are actually upgrading online through ATT and getting their iPhones shipped/delivered on launch day. Since I already went through Apple I'm pretty much stuck with what I got (or am I?), considering the ATT now has me in the system as having upgraded (was fully eligible) and I don't want to mess things up by confusing the system or due to lack of communication between Apple and ATT.

*Is there any way, however, that I can show up to the Apple Store on launch day and perhaps switch the purchase to an in-store pick-up, considering it is already paid for and will not have even shipped by then?

*Any idea in general how to get my iPhone 5 as early as possible?

Otherwise I will just be patient, as I am actually quite satisfied with the iPhone 4, it is an excellent device. However, I am obviously looking forward to having a new gadget to play with and wouldn't mind getting it ASAP.

Thanks for any helpful responses.

I just finished with apple they aren't allowing us to switch to in-store pick up if you pre order..

xak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Cancel your order with Apple?

I'm worried that the cancellation wouldn't get relayed to ATT somehow, or that the 2-year contract renewal already went through, and I won't be able to repurchase the phone under subsidy without going through some major hassle.

hellspawn2

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I'm worried that the cancellation wouldn't get relayed to ATT somehow, or that the 2-year contract renewal already went through, and I won't be able to repurchase the phone under subsidy without going through some major hassle.

Call AT&T and ask them

i may cancel mine

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I cancelled my Apple pre order on the 15th and pre ordered at best Buy. As soon as I cancelled with Apple my upgrade eligibility reset, even called att to confirm. It was pretty much instant as soon as I cancelled my Apple pre order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.