Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mblank83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Well when wednesday came, millions of people were dissapointed that there was no "one last thing" tagged on to the keynote, but is it fair to say that the iphone 5 is a let down and a good reason to switch to S3?

Just because there is no new crazy feature (like siri with iphone 4s or NFC wouldve been with iphone 5) doesn't mean that this iphone probably isn't a HUGE upgrade isn't it? Is it fair to say that the only thing you will get from upgrading to an iphone 5 from a 4S is a bigger screen? Maybe it is ALOT faster all around, and a lot of performance enhancement (in regard to specs)?

I am just saying, that any website that has the smallest of a tech area, has something to say about the iphone5 and most websites are calling it a disappointment, but I don't think its fair to say that without trying it in person first-hand.

What is it even that people are disappointed with?
The hardware specs weren't good enough?
The screen not big enough?
Lack of NFC?
No drastic change in shape of phone?

Or was it even the hardware that people were disappointed by or is it that people are disappointed with iOS6 and waited until now to express their frustration in hopes of a big upgrade to iOS6 as the "one last thing"?

I know the iphone 5 isn't that significant in comparison to iphone 4s, but I think that this phone wasn't aimed to please the current 4S users, more so directed to android people, or 3GS people.

Not sure if I went off topic here on my own post but I am just curious why people are disappointed with the iphone or is it fair to be disappointed with it before trying it out first?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know what websites you are reading but the ones I've read are really pleased with the iPhone 5 and they aren't apple specific sites.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Well when wednesday came, millions of people were dissapointed that there was no "one last thing" tagged on to the keynote, but is it fair to say that the iphone 5 is a let down and a good reason to switch to S3?

Just because there is no new crazy feature (like siri with iphone 4s or NFC wouldve been with iphone 5) doesn't mean that this iphone probably isn't a HUGE upgrade isn't it? Is it fair to say that the only thing you will get from upgrading to an iphone 5 from a 4S is a bigger screen? Maybe it is ALOT faster all around, and a lot of performance enhancement (in regard to specs)?

I am just saying, that any website that has the smallest of a tech area, has something to say about the iphone5 and most websites are calling it a disappointment, but I don't think its fair to say that without trying it in person first-hand.

What is it even that people are disappointed with?
The hardware specs weren't good enough?
The screen not big enough?
Lack of NFC?
No drastic change in shape of phone?

Or was it even the hardware that people were disappointed by or is it that people are disappointed with iOS6 and waited until now to express their frustration in hopes of a big upgrade to iOS6 as the "one last thing"?

I know the iphone 5 isn't that significant in comparison to iphone 4s, but I think that this phone wasn't aimed to please the current 4S users, more so directed to android people, or 3GS people.

Not sure if I went off topic here on my own post but I am just curious why people are disappointed with the iphone or is it fair to be disappointed with it before trying it out first?

The only thing that really matters is your own feelings. Are you disappointed? If so, well, you have some choices to make. If not, enjoy your new iPhone 5.

"Fair" doesn't really come in to play here.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
there will always be people that complain. the world could be a perfect place and someone will complain about it being too perfect.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yea, most of the disappointment I have seen is coming from reading posting in the forums... and some very Uniformed people on yahoo, and the today show

(The today show segment this morning would have been avoided had apple put even a little explanation to why they chose "lightning" instead of micro USB)

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Bigger screen
LTE
Better camera
Aluminum & glass build + new design
Faster processor

Yea, it's all hype :rolleyes:

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
The iPhone 5 is an evolution of an already classic design and OS philosophy. It will go on to out-sell the other phones on the market. Besides the original iPhone and the iPad Apple has been "late" to offer some of the "innovations" seen on other phones/Android devices, but because they take their time to reform these innovations in their own "Apple-ish" way you get a device and OS that "just works." If you personally are underwhelmed by the iPhone's latest iteration then perhaps look to Windows 8/Android devices. They have some great phones out there with some interesting customizable features, but I prefer simple/elegant solutions to my mobile experience. However, if there is a non-Apple product that proves to be superior or offers something novel that I can't live without then I'm not afraid to jump ship and move away from Apple. :D

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Oh and daringfireball.net had some links to some good sites as well as a good overall commentary on the iPhones/iPods.

Cnet and AllthingsD both have some positive articles on the iPhone. I don't read a lot of tech stuff but really, I haven't seen much negativity other than these boards :)

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I dont know of millions of other people but i was kinda disappointed, mostly cause i expected to be surprised, like I was by the iPhone 4, the 5 was pretty much a standard launch and all the speculation rumors about it were mostly right about what features it will have, what it'll look like etc etc....

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I've read tons of articles on the new phone and the majority rate it a big hit.

Especially some of the stock analysts who are extremely positive. Check out the stock price tonight!

No big thing to give it the so called Wow factor but overall a superb package upgrade, far better than the 4 to 4s. Apple have pitched it perfectly to the millions of people who will clamour to buy it over the next few weeks.

I have the 4s and really had to resist buying this morning. Restistance is futile and as soon as I see it in my local Apple store I know I will buy it!

Sad about all the SIII fans with a huge chip on their shoulder. I 'm sure it's a superb phone of it's type but I wouldn't buy a Samsung anything. Class and quality they are not.

bobdigi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
There hasn't been a "one last thing" in a long time eh? It sounds like you WANT to be disappointed so you have an excuse to guy buy an inferior product (Android :rolleyes:). Don't wait for us to tell you to do it, sounds like your mind has been made up and want us to talk you out of it.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I dont know of millions of other people but i was kinda disappointed, mostly cause i expected to be surprised, like I was by the iPhone 4, the 5 was pretty much a standard launch and all the speculation rumors about it were mostly right about what features it will have, what it'll look like etc etc....

If you stop reading rumor sites such as MR, then you'll be surprised with whatever they come out with. :p

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
All hype?

There is a little more to it than that, have you read any of the threads here? It is a really big deal!

Ap
Le is have a hard time keeping the secrets but the phone is still pretty darn nice!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

If that were the case, they wouldn't have sold out in record time.

The only people who are disappointed are those expecting a world changing advancement every year.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
I think Apple have released an extremely good phone in it's own right. The real litmus test will be the first 3 months sales. The 4S was hard to get hold of for ages after launch, I'm not sure what will happen this time round.

The only concern Apple may have is that there's no compelling reason for anyone with an iPhone 4 or 4S to upgrade, other than to have the newest shiny. And if people do upgrade for that reason and find the incremental updates to not justify the premium price tag, then things may deteriorate further down the line.

Myself, I don't care. I'm not too ingrained in the ecosystem to be unable to walk away from it. If the reviews are glowing, and I get hands on with one, then I might think about it. I have 4S and am out of contract. My 4S will do pretty much everything a 5 will do until Apple decide to arbitrarily decide I shouldn't be able to do it.

I'll stick this one out for the time being, maybe see what the Lumia 920 is like and see how the Windows Phone environment pans out. I was waiting to upgrade, but there's nothing out there considerably better than the 4S to warrant my cash.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
its not all hype at all. every single aspect has been upgraded....the only thing I think may have been a little smokey was the camera. same sensor same aperture just smaller and then basing all improvements on the A6 I guess we will have to wait till friday to see if its really improved.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
So far the most commonly cited disappointment has been the lack of NFC.

First of all, I don't even though how many people use NFC to begin with. I am sure if you asked a hundred strangers on the street who are not techies what NFC is they would have no idea.

Also out of all the many people who have it now hardly anyone ever uses it. When was the last time you saw somebody pick up the phone and pay for something with it. I personally have never witnessed this, nor have I heard about this being commonplace from any of my friends working retail.

While some retailers have adopted this, they certainly have not given it much attention. And it is certainly not a system that is commonplace enough where missing it as a feature is a dealbreaker or even a major inconvenience. If lack of NFC is a dealbreaker for you, you must really be living in your own universe.

And yet all the tech geeks who want to talk about the iPhone being disappointing make it sound like Apple stuck on a monochrome LCD screen or decided to skip on including e-mail or something.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
If that were the case, they wouldn't have sold out in record time.

The only people who are disappointed are those expecting a world changing advancement every year.
This is the most inane argument I've ever seen. It's a great upgrade because it sold out in record time?

So was the "Cabbage Patch II" doll an incredible upgrade because it sold out the second it hit stores?

Was the Rubix Cube the greatest puzzle ever? Well, it sold the most, right?

Is the PlayStation franchise better than X-Box? PlayStation 2 has sold more units than any gaming console in history...must be the best, right?

The Toyota Corolla must be the GREATEST car on earth!! Toyota sells a Corolla once every 40 seconds...that's a record!

Long story short...just because it's the best selling, doesn't make it the best.

For the record...I like the iPhone, I've owned one since day one and I'm considering buying the 5.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
You will be able to know for sure (in your personal opinion of course) after you get a hands on with it and use it.

Speculation and things on paper is one thing, actual experience is another.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
And yet all the tech geeks who want to talk about the iPhone being disappointing make it sound like Apple stuck on a monochrome LCD screen or decided to skip on including e-mail or something.

Here's the one question that I would need to have answered convincingly to buy an iPhone 5:

'Why should I buy an iPhone 5 over an iPhone 4S with iOS6 installed'

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Here's the one question that I would need to have answered convincingly to buy an iPhone 5:

'Why should I buy an iPhone 5 over an iPhone 4S with iOS6 installed'

Bigger screen, LTE, faster processor, improved battery life, also a better screen as in addition to the size it is also clearer and has less reflections. Not to mention thinner and lighter, but that just depends on how important those qualities are to you.

Those are all the things you would miss out on if you just kept an iPhone 4S and installed iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.