Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
appswipe
macrumors 6502

Black App Borders on a White iPhone - Is it ugly?

I was going to get White for my iPhone 5 but one thing that's been completely ignored in the media and discussions is how "legacy" apps will look like on the wider screen.

Phil Schiller showed us how it will work with black borders being used "and you wont even notice they're there".

Based on the demo it seems seamless... on a black iPhone. But what about on the white iPhone? I wasnt able to find anyone show us how it will look in reality so I whipped up a bad photoshop.

I have to say that's pretty distracting on white, but what does everyone else think? Would this change your color preference or are you able to ignore the letterboxing?

Edit:
Added photos from TheVerge that chembox pointed out
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Last edited by appswipe; Sep 15, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
appswipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
sviato
macrumors 68020

The black is a nice contrast so I don't think it's that bad. However, the silverish back looks awful with white which is why I'd go for the black with the "slate" bezel.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3
bkb1777
macrumors newbie

That exact reason is why I changed from white to black. I have a white 4S and was dead set on getting white, then I decided to get black. Also, cases seem to be made more for black iphones vs white iphones. Just my own opinion of course.
bkb1777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by appswipe View Post
I was going to get White for my iPhone 5 but one thing that's been completely ignored in the media and discussions is how "legacy" apps will look like on the wider screen.

Phil Schiller showed us how it will work with black borders being used "and you wont even notice they're there".

Based on the demo it seems seamless... on a black iPhone. But what about on the white iPhone? I wasnt able to find anyone show us how it will look in reality so I whipped up a bad photoshop.

I have to say that's pretty distracting on white, but what does everyone else think? Would this change your color preference or are you able to ignore the letterboxing?
Never thought of that, another reason added as to why I didn't get the white this time, along with the fact that I find the back to be tacky as hell with the white/silver.
Binarymix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by appswipe View Post

I think its an App i wouldnt use and i like the white phone better. Also looks like a screw up and hes trying to play it off saying you wont notice it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb1777 View Post
That exact reason is why I changed from white to black. I have a white 4S and was dead set on getting white, then I decided to get black. Also, cases seem to be made more for black iphones vs white iphones. Just my own opinion of course.
White goes with everything so i dont agree there.
Vegastouch is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:49 PM   #6
chembox
macrumors 6502a

Both colors look pretty sleek and amazing, however, coming from a black iPhone 4, I'm going with white/silver, and I think it looks really good.

Border effect:

The black borders are a temporary issue, just like non-retina apps in iOS 4. Chances are, if an app isn't being supported and upgraded to iOS 6 compatibility, I'm going to delete it.
chembox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:06 PM   #7
appswipe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembox View Post
Border effect: Image

The black borders are a temporary issue, just like non-retina apps in iOS 4. Chances are, if an app isn't being supported and upgraded to iOS 6 compatibility, I'm going to delete it.
Thumb resize.

But compare that to Schillers demo on a black iPhone where its not nearly as noticeable.

appswipe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM   #8
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Yet another reason why black would be the choice

I'm not a white iPhone hater, I have a white 4S but 5 is clearly better in black
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
MVallee
macrumors 6502a

I was originally going to get a white but ended up getting the black again. The letter boxing was part of the decision. Also I like how the front of the black one looks sleek when it's off. You don't see the camera and speaker and the screen. It just disappears better. I figured the same would apply for the letter boxing depending on how fast people update their apps.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:25 PM   #10
krizko
macrumors member

The smudges / fingerprints on the black iPhone has always been far more of an issue for me than this letterbox issue will be, I think.
krizko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Codepiink
macrumors regular

Like Phil said in the keynote, the app developers weren't given enough time to make a newer app to fit the dimensions of the iPhone 5 screen, that's the only reason you have the black borders. It seems silly to me to base your phone color choice on whether or not those temporary borders will be noticeable or not...
Codepiink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Radeon12345
macrumors regular

I wouldn't even worry about the letterbox issue, most apps will be updated quickly anyway, same as when retina came out. Developers aren't going to want poor reviews.

I ordered the white iPhone 5 one as the original iPhone 4 black got on my nerves being covered in fingerprints even with clean hands, the 4S white was a huge improvement as fingerprints were almost non existent apart from the screen. Thats why I went for white again.

The new black one is stunning though and I almost went for it.
Radeon12345 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
The black is a nice contrast so I don't think it's that bad. However, the silverish back looks awful with white which is why I'd go for the black with the "slate" bezel.
Here's a reason I thought might suck about the black (I prefer the black and always prefer black when it comes to anything with a screen).

Anodized aluminum in my experience ends up having the color wear off and start looking really old and worn out. And scratches easy and they show up really easy on the color. At least with the white one it's just the aluminim color so the scratches won't show up as easily.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:08 PM   #14
7even
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radeon12345 View Post
I wouldn't even worry about the letterbox issue, most apps will be updated quickly anyway, same as when retina came out. Developers aren't going to want poor reviews.

I ordered the white iPhone 5 one as the original iPhone 4 black got on my nerves being covered in fingerprints even with clean hands, the 4S white was a huge improvement as fingerprints were almost non existent apart from the screen. Thats why I went for white again.

The new black one is stunning though and I almost went for it.
This. I know the black bars would bother me no matter the color of the phone around it, but the apps I use most often will be updated quickly enough.
7even is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
iregret
macrumors regular

Black borders make the display look better.
iregret is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone