Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
At the At&t store, tax for the iPhone 5 is based on the full retail price. I just paid around $50 for tax alone.

Is it the same for the Apple Store?

bearsbears

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
New York, NY
My 16GB has $17.66 tax on it, so no, I am only paying tax on the $199 (in NY). However my Apple confirmation email has an asterisk next to the estimated tax and says this:

"*In CA and RI sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of the iPhone."

Does unbundled = full price?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My 16GB has $17.66 tax on it, so no, I am only paying tax on the $199 (in NY). However my Apple confirmation email has an asterisk next to the estimated tax and says this:

Yep.

jringo718

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009

I paid ~$39 for my Sprint order from Sprint.com and I'm from NY too (Long Island). I don't know what it's based off. It's not the retail price. At the time of the order it said estimated tax is $39, and I thought it would eventually be adjusted to the ~$18 it's supposed to be, but I got a call from my bank asking if I authorized the charge and they said the amount was $239. What the hell am I paying $21 more for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.