Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should be the name of this site ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
As long as Apple evolves toward portable devices, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the name of this site should be changed ... what do you guys think ?

1) iDevices Rumors

2) Apple Rumors

3) Mac Rumors is fine for me ...

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Apple Rumors is more correct I'd say but it is feeling more and more like iOS Rumors from Apple lately.
Can't see it changing from MacRumors but :p

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
MacRumors is easier to pronounce when talking to others; well established brand out there and burned in my brain. AppleRumors or iDeviceRumors sounds a bit bumpy on the other side. Plus Macs still have enough rumor potential to keep the site running (any new rumors on Mac Pro by the way ? :rolleyes:)

----------

How about making a separate forum dedicated to iOS devices?

Not enough ?

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/103/

----------

What's wrong with this one? ;)

If you don't want to see iOS device posts in the forum spy you can exclude them in Preferences.

Opps, you were faster; sorry :eek:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Changing the name to AAA-Rumors would get the site placed near the top of the telephone directory listings. If AAA-Rumors is already taken I'd suggest Acme-Rumors should be considered...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
However, MacRumors should not change its name.
There's also brand recognition. MacRumors is an established name and is known to be one (if not the) largest Apple discussion forums. Changing the name will impact people's ability to recognize who we are.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
It will change when the Mac moniker is no longer recognizable by a signifiant portion of people that frequent Apple Inc. product rumor sites.

Apple has already dropped it from their OS as they did the word computer from their company name.

It won't be tomorrow but eventually.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Hahaha

In all seriousness, AppleRumors would be the one that makes most sense.

However, MacRumors should not change its name.

Why? Consider why the name of the iTunes Store wasn't changed when movies, TV shows and apps were added?

Same reasoning here.

And more reasoning - MacRumors just flows better.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
MacRumors is too much of an established brand to change their name now - It'd be chucking out a portion of their reputation.

I agree. Most people know about it. My sister-in-law even knew about it and she knows crap about technology. She surprised me when she said "I was reading on macrumors" and I was like "huh?! you were? how? you cray cray".

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I agree. Most people know about it. My sister-in-law even knew about it and she knows crap about technology. She surprised me when she said "I was reading on macrumors" and I was like "huh?! you were? how? you cray cray".

Yeah - Plus MacRumors looks better and flows better than iDeviceRumors or AppleRumors :)

Artansoul

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
What about...

My suggestion would be to adopt AppleRumors for a broad front end, but also keep MacRumors as a link between the Front Page and Mac Blog links in the navigation bar. Then use that page as a front end for all things Mac, and filter out anything that isn't directly Mac related. That then becomes the site home page for MacRumors while AppleRumors has it's own home page for the site as a whole. Good way to do what it says on the tin without alienating people who aren't interested in constant iPhone stories, yet still broadening out as a whole? Best of both worlds? What do does anyone think?

Why? Cause I've been here ten minutes and haven't found a Mac rumor yet! Mostly cause I was registering to make this comment... I suspect there might be one if I start to search...

Phil

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.