Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which carrier did you choose for iPhone 5

• Verizon

Votes: 51 36.2%
  • AT&T

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Sprint

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Which carrier are you going with. Other poll excludes Sprint.

smokechaser

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Kansas City
Been with Verizon forever. ATT and Sprint suck. All my friends complain.

Verizon best choice for KANSAS CITY.

Last edited:

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I'm giving Verizon a go this time around. I bought the 4 before the Verizon model came out and skipped the 4S so this is my first oportunity to jump ship. They may not prove to be any better than ATT but its hard to imagine they could be any worse. I'm hopefull but we are talking cell cariers here so my expectations have been lowered accordingly.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
AT&T all the way. HSPA+ is just light years better than CDMA/EV-DO. Being able to use voice & data at the same time is a huge plus.

Besides, I have more than just an iPhone and being able to swap SIM cards into different phones depending on my mood is another reason I'd never switch.

Blanket statements like "AT&T and Sprint suck" are just juvenile.

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Verizon now. No data caps, but paying $650 - $850 for a device is going to suck!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Even when I thought Verizon was more expensive for me, I chose them. Then I realized that I have a Verizon wireless account for a device I gave to a relative but pay for (mifi) so adding an iPhone to my account actually is cheaper overall than AT&T.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Currently have a 4S with Verizon. Not eligible for upgrade. Canceling and with with 2 lines on AT&T. In my area Verizon's data speeds are horrible. AT&T is much faster and support Voice + Data at the same time. Had AT&T in the past before getting Verizon. I prefer AT&T over the other.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
AT&T. I've been with them/Cingular for 10 years and never had an issue with them, I get data and voice (which is nice), I get to keep my unlimited (and I don't care there is a throttle point, I'll still get data and I won't get an overage charge), I don't care about facetime over 3G as I barely use it and I have only very rarely though if I could do facetime now (when no wi fi) I would, and they are a helluva lot cheaper since I for me the shared plans are a total rip off and even if Verizon offers the singular plans still (not sure if they do) they are still more expensive for my needs (they are cheaper if you buy a ton of data but for the data amount I'd pick they are more expensive).

Oh yeah, Sprint is not even an option. I had to deal with their crappy service when my parents had them, couldn't understand a word they said (at the time you didn't really see smart phones, that was like a little over 10 years ago). And this was the same for people in different areas of the country even so it wasn't just where my parents were. And from what I hear, maybe their voice is better but it sounds like their data isn't.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
AT&T all the way. HSPA+ is just light years better than CDMA/EV-DO. Being able to use voice & data at the same time is a huge plus.

Besides, I have more than just an iPhone and being able to swap SIM cards into different phones depending on my mood is another reason I'd never switch.

Blanket statements like "AT&T and Sprint suck" are just juvenile.

He did say in his specific location kiddo...

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Verizon all the way.

Consistent phone service for the past 10 years and now LTE (I have full LTE coverage in my area) makes this a no brainer.

Also helps to be grandfathered on unlimited data (using a family members upgrade ;) )

Last edited:

uttrekr

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Athens, TX
Getting the Iphone 5 is almost as much about finally dumping ATT as it is upgrading to 4G. For the last couple of years now I've experienced progressive network congestion as ATT has failed to keep up with demand. There is a major shopping mall near my home so if I go north of my immediate neighborhood my phones data function is essentially useless. The guy at the ATT store has been telling me for months they are aware of the problem but cannot provide any sort of ETA on a fix other than waiting for the iphone 5 and 4G. Given this track record and the way they are turning on the Grandfathered unlimited plans I've had it with them.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Switched from Sprint to AT&T for the original iPhone in 2007, have been stuck ever since. I wouldn't want to go back to Sprint, but I would really like to eventually move to Verizon. Every year I say next years the year, but with 5 lines with different contracts, it's just not that easy to make happen.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Been with AT&T for about 14 years (back when they were AT&T Wireless, which then became Cingular).
They have been great for me over the years. Never had a problem with them.

Their speeds are great (Dallas area, so duh!) here. LTE is rolled out and FAST.

They have never gave me a reason to want to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.