Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1
bollweevil
macrumors 6502

How much does it cost to replace an iPhone screen?

I have kept my iPhones naked for several years, but I am a bit afraid of the front glass getting scratched. I am contemplating using a screen protector.

How much does it cost to replace an iPhone screen? I am in the US.
bollweevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
I have kept my iPhones naked for several years, but I am a bit afraid of the front glass getting scratched. I am contemplating using a screen protector.

How much does it cost to replace an iPhone screen? I am in the US.
Depends on the model of iPhone. Replacing a 3G/3GS screen is easy and cheap (~$30-$40)

iPhone 4 and 4S are more difficult and expensive due to the way the phones are assembled.

As for the iPhone 5, we won't know until next week how it's assembled, but I'm guessing that since it's a unibody device, the screen will be replaced sort-of like the 3G/3GS.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
bearsbears
macrumors member

I don't think you have to worry about getting the glass scratched - the glass is very tough. I had a screen protector at first but ditched it and haven't seen a single scratch. You're more likely to have to replace your screen if you drop your phone and it shatters.

PLUS, if you get some scratches, you can then get a screen protector at that point (like invisible shield) and it will basically cover up your scratches! I think that is the more practical solution so that you can enjoy your naked phone, but if you are concerned about having it be perfect for reselling or something, I guess that is a different story. Still I think the glass is hard to scratch.
bearsbears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:12 AM   #4
theganja
Banned

Which one?
theganja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5
bollweevil
macrumors 6502

I should have said this originally: I am wondering about the iPhone 5 screen. Apparently we may not know the answer yet, because the phone hasn't been released.

Out of curiosity and for comparison, how much does it cost to replace an iPhone 4 or 4S screen?

Thanks for the info so far.
bollweevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
I should have said this originally: I am wondering about the iPhone 5 screen. Apparently we may not know the answer yet, because the phone hasn't been released.

Out of curiosity and for comparison, how much does it cost to replace an iPhone 4 or 4S screen?

Thanks for the info so far.
Approximately $26 if you do it yourself.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone