Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I have kept my iPhones naked for several years, but I am a bit afraid of the front glass getting scratched. I am contemplating using a screen protector.

How much does it cost to replace an iPhone screen? I am in the US.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I have kept my iPhones naked for several years, but I am a bit afraid of the front glass getting scratched. I am contemplating using a screen protector.

How much does it cost to replace an iPhone screen? I am in the US.

Depends on the model of iPhone. Replacing a 3G/3GS screen is easy and cheap (~$30-$40)

iPhone 4 and 4S are more difficult and expensive due to the way the phones are assembled.

As for the iPhone 5, we won't know until next week how it's assembled, but I'm guessing that since it's a unibody device, the screen will be replaced sort-of like the 3G/3GS.

bearsbears

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
New York, NY
I don't think you have to worry about getting the glass scratched - the glass is very tough. I had a screen protector at first but ditched it and haven't seen a single scratch. You're more likely to have to replace your screen if you drop your phone and it shatters.

PLUS, if you get some scratches, you can then get a screen protector at that point (like invisible shield) and it will basically cover up your scratches! I think that is the more practical solution so that you can enjoy your naked phone, but if you are concerned about having it be perfect for reselling or something, I guess that is a different story. Still I think the glass is hard to scratch.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I should have said this originally: I am wondering about the iPhone 5 screen. Apparently we may not know the answer yet, because the phone hasn't been released.

Out of curiosity and for comparison, how much does it cost to replace an iPhone 4 or 4S screen?

Thanks for the info so far.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I should have said this originally: I am wondering about the iPhone 5 screen. Apparently we may not know the answer yet, because the phone hasn't been released.

Out of curiosity and for comparison, how much does it cost to replace an iPhone 4 or 4S screen?

Thanks for the info so far.

Approximately $26 if you do it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.