Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I've wanted to get a lens kit for my iPhone 4 for quite some time. I really like the look and build quality of the Olloclip, as well as other similar clip/stick-on lenses, but as I use my precious iPhone in a case I have concerns as to whether I'd be able to use accessories like this on top of my case.

I'm wondering if anyone's had a similar experience and whether you found any lenses that worked well even when using your iPhone in a case/with a cover. Part of me thinks with some of the lenses (like the ones where you have a stick-on ring that sticks over your aperture and then allows lenses to 'clip on' magnetically for instance) you'd surely be better off using them with a cheap phone case anyway and sticking the lens to the case rather than to your iPhone?

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences! :)

captainc

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I've wanted to get a lens kit for my iPhone 4 for quite some time. I really like the look and build quality of the Olloclip, as well as other similar clip/stick-on lenses, but as I use my precious iPhone in a case I have concerns as to whether I'd be able to use accessories like this on top of my case.

I'm wondering if anyone's had a similar experience and whether you found any lenses that worked well even when using your iPhone in a case/with a cover. Part of me thinks with some of the lenses (like the ones where you have a stick-on ring that sticks over your aperture and then allows lenses to 'clip on' magnetically for instance) you'd surely be better off using them with a cheap phone case anyway and sticking the lens to the case rather than to your iPhone?

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences! :)

What is your price range?

lpena

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
My wife uses a wallet case for her iPhone 5. Has anyone found a set of camera lenses that will fit over the leather wallet case so she doesn't have to take it out every time she wants to get a picture?

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I think there's very few decent quality lenses that will fit over a case.

Since I posted this thread (a long time ago!) I caved and bought an Olloclip and even though I have to take my phone out of its case to use it, it is indeed a great quality lens and very versatile. I've enjoyed using its wide-angle mode to counteract the cropping that occurs when filming video, so it's really great for that.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I think there's very few decent quality lenses that will fit over a case.
It's difficult to design anything to accommodate every case out there given the variances in thickness, style, etc. You'd really need to find a case and lens designed to work together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.