Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyJacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
I recently installed a Crucial SSD in my iMac and things have been going terribly, I don't know if it is due to the SSD or to 10.8.1, I updated both at the same time. Pages on my login account refuses to open it just bounces forever and gets frozen, as well as text edit. I created a root account and tried those applications there and it works fine. Also I have been having a problem with applications remembering their state. I close windows in Safari browse other sites, and every time I open Safari it re opens windows that I was browsing a few days ago. I have iStat Menus installed and I noticed that last night my CPU was at almost 100%, and when I open up the Activity Monitor, Finder takes up almost 95% of my CPU usage. I then noticed my hard drive was filled up, and I ran grand perspective, see screenshot attached, and 114 GB of space was taken up by keychain. Can I delete all these? Any ideas to stop this from happening. Thanks in advance, Timothy.

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 3.46.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 3.55.10 PM.png

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Obviously not normal. Yes, you can just delete the Keychain folder's contents, and when you log into that account the next time it will prompt you to create a new Keychain. Must've had some bug that ran away recording information in the keychain.

jW

TimothyJacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Obviously not normal. Yes, you can just delete the Keychain folder's contents, and when you log into that account the next time it will prompt you to create a new Keychain. Must've had some bug that ran away recording information in the keychain.

jW

Thanks, so I deleted all of the keychains, and I have gotten my key chains working again. Do you have any advice about the other problems I have been having? I think it is some kind of permission problem, do you know of a utility that could correct all of the permission screwups? Thanks.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks, so I deleted all of the keychains, and I have gotten my key chains working again. Do you have any advice about the other problems I have been having? I think it is some kind of permission problem, do you know of a utility that could correct all of the permission screwups? Thanks.

To repair permissions in your home directory, use the tools on your Recovery Partition for 10.8. Restart and hold Cmd-R to boot into the Recovery Partition, then choose Terminal from the Utilities menu. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes to launch the Reset Password application, then choose the drive first, then your user account, and click on the button at the bottom of the window that reads "Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACL's". That should help with those other issues.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.