Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What feature do you wish was added to the latest iPod touch most?

• Total voters

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The newest iPod touch hasn't even been released yet, and I'm already complaining. Here are the three things I wish Apple did differently in order of importance:

1. I jailbroke my iPod touch and used activator to configure my volume buttons to control music without looking at the screen. Apple gave this feature to the newest nano in the form of revamped volume controls and should do the same for the iPod touch.

2. The loop button looks horrible and should be optional or removed entirely.

3. The latest iPod touch took a step backwards from the previous model by not cleverly hiding the Wi-Fi transmitter behind the bezel on the front.

idealpodtouch5.png

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Odd. I found the 4th Gen design to be an ergonomic disaster. They finally fixed it with this gen.

I never mentioned changing the shape of the device itself. Unless you think the little chrome button and visible Wi-Fi plate make it more ergonomic.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
The 4th gen ipt has issues with WiFi and Bluetooth. My 2nd gen has better Bluetooth strength Than my 4th gen. The all metal back is to blame for this. Having the plastic allows for better performance, which i prefer over looks

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I actually like the loop; I'm not seeing where all the hate is coming from. I probably won't use it 95% of the time, but I do see it coming in handy. If you don't want to use it, just leave the button pushed in. It'll literally never get in the way if you just ignore it.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I'm really glad they added the loop too.
Now I can add a strap to stop my wife dropping it.

Almost every mobile device in Japan is sold with a strap loop..I am surprised it has taken them this long to add one.

MJNBGA

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
New Zealand
I desperately wanted a 128 GB, but that didn't happen. *tragic sigh*

Buy an iPhone on Sprint (unlimited data) and use iTunes Match. Or get one of these: http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/wireless#wid

With the move to everything in the 'cloud', higher storage capacities are becoming less of a demand and a 'must-have' feature. This is despite the costs being nothing near what they used to be, and Apple's acquisition of Anobit. Interesting.

----------

I see you saw fit to get rid of the protruding camera glass. I must admit, it looks a lot cleaner, especially in a sensible colour like black. I would've lived with an extra millimeter or so - get that damn glass thing out of the way, :apple:! Aarrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I see you saw fit to get rid of the protruding camera glass. I must admit, it looks a lot cleaner, especially in a sensible colour like black. I would've lived with an extra millimeter or so - get that damn glass thing out of the way, :apple:! Aarrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh!

Wait, you aren't looking forward to the fifth generation iPod touch rocking back and forth when it's set down? :confused:

johns4949

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Where the Memory ???

So easy to put more memory in the TOUCH, but by incremental upgrades the LEMMINGS will just continue to buy the latest and greatest even though the wanted features are several generations away, all done on purpose to sell more and pocket the cash. You have to admit APPLE does have a addictive selling plan.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Is 128GB I'd memory too much to ask for? I mean, we're talking Apple Genius' here, right?:mad:
My ORIGINAL music collection is like 90GB already (about 2000 albums, digital or physical)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Is 128GB I'd memory too much to ask for? I mean, we're talking Apple Genius' here, right?:mad:
My ORIGINAL music collection is like 90GB already (about 2000 albums, digital or physical)

128 gb of music that you wont even listen to in months. 64gb is fine for most people so apple is in no hurry to add a higher capacity model.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

So easy to put more memory in the TOUCH, but by incremental upgrades the LEMMINGS will just continue to buy the latest and greatest even though the wanted features are several generations away, all done on purpose to sell more and pocket the cash. You have to admit APPLE does have a addictive selling plan.

Getting really tired of people like you calling Apple fans lemmings. Not how you don't see many Apple fans going to AndroidRumors.com (does that exist?) and bitching to the people there.

If you don't like Apple product and their fans, just don't log on Macrumors.

And yeah, Apple operates like a business that a) knows what it's doing and b) has a rabid fan base it has connected with.

Not that popularity means a phone is good, but Apple must be doing a lot right if it's the most valuable company ever. Even Microsoft and its OEMs and corporate purchases were never this big.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
To me the biggest design dissapointment of the new iPod touch is how they implemented rear camera. It basically sticks out of the aluminium body making it impossible to lie flat on the table....

The loop button - I agree it wasn't necessary, but at least it's not annoying. The only gripe about this is lack of color corespondense in some color models like the blue one got silver loop button, and it should got blue one so it wouldn't be that much noticable.. On the other hand black model does have a black loop button, silver have silver. Apple is a bit inconsistent here...

Colors - lack of green is a big dissapointment. Additionally, I don't like the fact rear panel is one color, and the front one is white. All color options should be like the black one - black rear panel and black front one. Blue should be all blue and the same with other colors. Besides, I really love the new colors, especially mettalic yellow and blue, but I fear it may be too disturbing to watch at the screen surrounded by white front panel and blue or other colors bezel. Black and silver models are the most consistent here. Others not so much...

Other than that it's a great iPod. Biggest leap since 1 generation. At this point I'm most willig to opt for silver model. It's the most consistent, and not as boring as black. On the other hand I love blue one, if only it had blue front panel...

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
To me the biggest design dissapointment of the new iPod touch is how they implemented rear camera. It basically sticks out of the aluminium body making it impossible to lie flat on the table....

Usually Apple's image galleries are so beautiful and accurate, but this one is a bold faced lie:

hero_image.jpg

Also, if you enlarge the image, the guy on the left looks like the socially awkward fifth wheel of the group.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
With the move to everything in the 'cloud', higher storage capacities are becoming less of a demand and a 'must-have' feature. This is despite the costs being nothing near what they used to be, and Apple's acquisition of Anobit.

Cloud or cloud + iphone seems a poor answer for an iPod prospect. First there's the cost: iPods < $399 one time, iPhone >$1000/yr with service. Then, mix in the Cloud argument and the more that gets stored there that you want to pull down, the quicker you burn through your data. Heavy use of the Cloud means paying even more to AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, etc.

I'm with the others wishing for 128GB or even more. Personally, I'd be happy with a hybrid: touch functionality in a fatter case to fit in a "classic"-sized hard drive again (but that will never happen).

I'd much rather sync it all to the device and stay clear of the Cloud than store more and more in the Cloud and have to hunt down some wifi (waiting until I find it if I need something not stored on the device) or burn through some of the ever-tighenting data tiers associated with an iPhone.

Personally, I hope iCloud is not the future- especially if it would lead to putting less and less on-board storage on future devices. But AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc would love to see that come to be.

Nothing against the added convenience of the iCloud concept. I just wouldn't want to see things become dependent on iCloud. Data tiers is just one reason.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
128 gb of music that you wont even listen to in months. 64gb is fine for most people so apple is in no hurry to add a higher capacity model.

Speak for yourself. By the time you add apps, music, photos, videos, etc., 64GB is nothing. Smacks of the 20MB hard drives that came with computers back in 1988.....

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Cloud or cloud + iphone seems a poor answer for an iPod prospect. First there's the cost: iPods < $399 one time, iPhone >$1000/yr with service.
You need to update your numbers. iPhone: prepaid $540/yr unlimited talk/text/data with StraightTalk. Brand new AT&T 32GB iPhone 4 from a reputable seller on eBay: $310.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa

Its not about that. If that was the point, hell, anything more than 5GB should not be produced. It's about having information/files, etc at your fingertips because don't know when the urge or need might come. I might want to listen to an old CD after years when I hear the radio ;)

Don't assume that your need for an instrument is everyone else's need ;)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You need to update your numbers. iPhone: prepaid $540/yr unlimited talk/text/data with StraightTalk. Brand new AT&T 32GB iPhone 4 from a reputable seller on eBay: $310.

OK so "NEW" iphone (new, but 2 generations old) $310 + $540 + $540 + $540, etc.
OR NEW (current generation) iPod $299 (for 32GB) + $0 + $0 + $0, etc.

Point?

I guess, you're trying to say that it won't cost a couple of thousand over 2 years (but it will cost well over a $1000 over 2 years)? And it will be a 2-generation-old model from Ebay. That's great! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I checked "other" in the poll. I would have liked to have seen the iPad's 3G/4G on demand (use it only when you need it) plan in the new iPod.

I know, I know: cue 20+ posts of how it would undermine sales of iPhone.

For those that believe iCloud is the future and that smaller on-board capacity makes sense, a key in that vision coming true would be ready access to iCloud from wherever we are... not just when we can find a wifi connection. Thus, iPad's on-demand 3G/4G probably needs to be built into iPods and Laptops sooner or later.

Even 2G Edge would have been better than nothing (and that might still provide sufficient differentiation for those so concerned about Apple's volume of iPhone sales vs. this kind of personal feature wish).

And this would be great for the occasional traveler who needs cell phone-like 3G only when those occasional trips come up. Thus, they don't need a monthly contract & monthly bill. Right now, I cover this with a separate mifi device, voip app, etc. But I'd love to have the on-demand mifi built in. The iPhone monthly toll just doesn’t make sense to me, so Apple won't sell me an iPhone. However, building in 2G/3G/4G with the iPad on-demand plan would have motivated me to buy a new iPod.

Again, I know, I know (see above).

Next to this, I would have liked to see 128GB or the hybrid option I referenced in post #17 (though the latter will never happen).

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Maybe the Loop button has a second function: to level the iPod's camera protrusion when you rest it on a surface, with a very light angle. Who knows?

I would have wanted 1GB of Ram and the A6 like the newest iPhone. I'm worried how quickly some games will become obsolete like the new Real Racing game they showed. Among others. I really enjoy my gaming on the touch.:D Looking forward to finally playing FFT and hopefully TWEWY on my new ipod touch 5!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.