Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
iFanboy
Guest
 
Exclamation "The iPhone 5 doesn't have a HD Screen" - What? Can someone explain this to me?

"The iPhone 5 does not have a HD Screen" was one of the first criticisms I saw of the iPhone 5 - closely followed by the assertion that Android phones like the GS3 and One X do, but the iPhone 5 doesn't.

I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain?

I thought the iPhone 5 had a 16:9 aspect ratio with "retina" ppi? Is this not HD? In which case, what is? What is the downside to it not being HD?

Clarification appreciated!
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Maroonie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
"The iPhone 5 does not have a HD Screen" was one of the first criticisms I saw of the iPhone 5 - closely followed by the assertion that Android phones like the GS3 and One X do, but the iPhone 5 doesn't.

I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain?

I thought the iPhone 5 had a 16:9 aspect ratio with "retina" ppi? Is this not HD? In which case, what is? What is the downside to it not being HD?

Clarification appreciated!
There are two resolutions commonly classed as 'HD'

- 1280 x 720 (Low HD / 720p)

- 1920 x 1080 (High HD / 1080p)

The iPhone 5's screen (1136 x 640) falls just short of 720p so therefore isn't technically 'HD' - But still looks great
Maroonie is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
They want the 720 as the spec, but the difference is imperceptible to the eye on that screen
MacDawg is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
skidbubble
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
It's probably one of the holdout features for the "S" version 12 months from now.
__________________
“I won’t sell a product that gets scratched.” - Steve Jobs
skidbubble is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:03 PM   #5
slrml617
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
"The iPhone 5 does not have a HD Screen" was one of the first criticisms I saw of the iPhone 5 - closely followed by the assertion that Android phones like the GS3 and One X do, but the iPhone 5 doesn't.

I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain?

I thought the iPhone 5 had a 16:9 aspect ratio with "retina" ppi? Is this not HD? In which case, what is? What is the downside to it not being HD?

Clarification appreciated!
It's just a technicality

HD general refers to resolution
720p 1280x720
1080p 1920x1080

if you do some calculation

1280/720=1.777
1920/1080=1.777
1136/640=1.775

there is virtually no difference. Ignorant people are just trying to find something to criticize every little way they can
slrml617 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
absynth
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
They want the 720 as the spec, but the difference is imperceptible to the eye on that screen
the difference is perceptible with larger screen sizes...the iphone 5 has a smaller screen "real estate" (total information displayed) compared to the competition.
absynth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Maroonie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
they've basically kept the same pixel width and ppi while pushing the aspect to 16:9 instead of 4:3 - Making the screen wider would make the phone ungainly in the hand - how it feels is one of the reasons I like it. If I wanted to roll around with a plasma screen in my pocket I'd get an S3!
Maroonie is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrml617 View Post
It's just a technicality

HD general refers to resolution
720p 1280x720
1080p 1920x1080

if you do some calculation

1280/720=1.777
1920/1080=1.777
1136/640=1.775

there is virtually no difference. Ignorant people are just trying to find something to criticize every little way they can
Technicality or not, it's not ignorance if it's true...
stuffradio is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by absynth View Post
the difference is perceptible with larger screen sizes...the iphone 5 has a smaller screen "real estate" (total information displayed) compared to the competition.
this. If we were looking at a 32" screen, I am sure we would notice....but on a 4" screen no one will be able to tell a difference.
mattopotamus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #10
DirtySocks85
macrumors 65816
 
DirtySocks85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by absynth View Post
the difference is perceptible with larger screen sizes...the iphone 5 has a smaller screen "real estate" (total information displayed) compared to the competition.
Well yes, but we have to remember here that the 720p and 1080p specs have been established for MUCH larger devices, as in TV screens in excess of 40" in diameter. For a 4" screen, using this as a sticking point is ridiculous. When talking in pure terms of ppi the iPhone display is AMAZING!
__________________
13"MacBook Pro (mid 2010) iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate iPod Classic 80GB
• Canon EOS Rebel T3i • Nexus 7
JStiles Photography Website JStiles Photography on Facebook
DirtySocks85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
sand_man
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
It's 2 pixels shy of 720p. Even Clarke Kent would have a hard time noticing the difference.

No doubt the Apple detractors will remind us at every opportunity that is it not 720p.
__________________
Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger.
sand_man is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:09 PM   #12
ethana
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
HD = High Definition. It's a term to describe high quality video. You often see it quoted as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. But the term is SUBJECTIVE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Many "Fandroids" claim that the iPhone is not HD because it doesn't have 720 pixels in resolution. The "not HD" claim is NOT TRUE.

Remember, Apple uses the "Retina Display" marketing term, which really describes ppi, or pixels per inch. The iPhone has 326ppi. The reason they use the word retina is because your retina in your eye can't discern the pixels when holding the phone away from your face. This is critical, because it means that Apple DOESN'T NEED to go to 720p to get an HD quality image.... you already have an HD screen as much as it's ever going to be. Your eyes can't see any more than that.

The only way to get the 720p that is discernible that Fandroids talk about is by making the screen even bigger, beyond the 4''. But they are just quibbling about pixels... not actually what HD actually means.

Remember, 720p and 1080p are terms used to describe TV viewing from long distances... that is why they were made up. The farther away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need on your TV. That is why new 4K TV's need to be at least 75'' for consumers to notice a different... any smaller and you wouldn't even be able to see the 4K resolution!

The term HD is really irrelevant when it comes to modern mobile devices, because most new phones have a high enough ppi. If anyone tells you otherwise from what I just said, they are uneducated.

Ethan
ethana is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
DirtySocks85
macrumors 65816
 
DirtySocks85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Technicality or not, it's not ignorance if it's true...
We're talking about a rounding issue and about specs that were established for much larger devices. To argue about it in regards to a 4" screen is asinine.
__________________
13"MacBook Pro (mid 2010) iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate iPod Classic 80GB
• Canon EOS Rebel T3i • Nexus 7
JStiles Photography Website JStiles Photography on Facebook
DirtySocks85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
slrml617
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Technicality or not, it's not ignorance if it's true...
that's your opinion. either way this argument does not stand at all
slrml617 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
What really matter is the PPI (pixels per inch) since that compares the resolution to the screen size. When looking at the PPI the iPhone screen is much better then the S3. Just looking at resolution is misleading.
Prime85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Rizzn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrml617 View Post
It's just a technicality

HD general refers to resolution
720p 1280x720
1080p 1920x1080

if you do some calculation

1280/720=1.777
1920/1080=1.777
1136/640=1.775

there is virtually no difference. Ignorant people are just trying to find something to criticize every little way they can
You're only commenting on aspect ratio, which has little to do with "HD." An 18 x 10 resolution would nearly have that aspect ratio but says nothing about the definition (clarity) of the display.

To answer the OP's question the term "HD" has been popularized to mean a certain resolution of a display but this shouldn't be the case.

Similar to how the term "Full HD" has been coined for the resolution of 1920 x 1080, even though displays far surpass this resolution.

In reality the iPhone display may not be "HD" (by commonly known meaning) but it is actually much higher definition than most displays. Anyone complaining that the iPhone screen isn't "HD" is just playing semantics games.

TLDR: The iPhone screen is HD, but not "HD." Only PPI (pixels per inch) vs viewing distance matter when seeing if a display is HD.
__________________
"IMO, of course." <-- The end to all my posts
Rizzn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #17
terraphantm
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
It's 2 pixels shy of 720p. Even Clarke Kent would have a hard time noticing the difference.

No doubt the Apple detractors will remind us at every opportunity that is it not 720p.
More like 200k pixels... Or to put it another way, approximately 30% more pixels than the entire iPhone 2G/3G/3GS displays.

The iPhone 5 screen does display less information than a 720p display. Sure at 4" the difference wouldn't be perceptible (at typical viewing distances), but that's why other companies are using 4.5" and larger displays.
terraphantm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:26 PM   #18
ethana
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
The iPhone 5 screen does display less information than a 720p display. Sure at 4" the difference wouldn't be perceptible (at typical viewing distances), but that's why other companies are using 4.5" and larger displays.
Although I agree with this, the argument against the iPhone 5 should be screen size and not about HD. I've seen many comments about HD and the iPhone 5 and it's simply misguided.
ethana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #19
jeremyka
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
"The iPhone 5 does not have a HD Screen" was one of the first criticisms I saw of the iPhone 5 - closely followed by the assertion that Android phones like the GS3 and One X do, but the iPhone 5 doesn't.

I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain?

I thought the iPhone 5 had a 16:9 aspect ratio with "retina" ppi? Is this not HD? In which case, what is? What is the downside to it not being HD?

Clarification appreciated!
Majority of media content (movies, etc) is optimized for one of standard resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080p, etc). It will need to be cropped or resized for non-standard display. That will result in loss of quality but I doubt the difference will be noticeable on 4" screen.
jeremyka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:36 PM   #20
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
It's a technicality that people like point out as a negative about the iPhone. Much like those with iPhones hang on a difference of 10 ppi between screens. It's all petty really.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:21 AM   #21
Gnobiwan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
What really matter is the PPI (pixels per inch) since that compares the resolution to the screen size. When looking at the PPI the iPhone screen is much better then the S3. Just looking at resolution is misleading.
iPhone 5 = 326 ppi
HTC Rezound = 342 ppi 720p screen
HTC Droid DNA = 440 ppi 1080p screen


I guess we see where the FruitiPhone sits.
Gnobiwan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:37 AM   #22
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobiwan View Post
iPhone 5 = 326 ppi
HTC Rezound = 342 ppi 720p screen
HTC Droid DNA = 440 ppi 1080p screen


I guess we see where the FruitiPhone sits.
Did you really join just to bring up an old thread and say that?

Yes, those phones have a higher PPI. Yes those phones have a larger screen. I'm glad that you prefer Android over the iPhone. But the PPI of the iPhone is just fine for viewing HD content.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:41 AM   #23
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Retina is just a marketing term used by Apple.

Current iPhone 5 screen resolution is just under 720p with a ppi of 326.

326 is good but not the best as many phones are coming out with 1080p HD screen with ppi's as high as 400+
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:32 AM   #24
Menel
macrumors 68040
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
HD = High Definition. It's a term to describe high quality video. You often see it quoted as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. But the term is SUBJECTIVE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Many "Fandroids" claim that the iPhone is not HD because it doesn't have 720 pixels in resolution. The "not HD" claim is NOT TRUE.

Remember, Apple uses the "Retina Display" marketing term, which really describes ppi, or pixels per inch. The iPhone has 326ppi. The reason they use the word retina is because your retina in your eye can't discern the pixels when holding the phone away from your face. This is critical, because it means that Apple DOESN'T NEED to go to 720p to get an HD quality image.... you already have an HD screen as much as it's ever going to be. Your eyes can't see any more than that.

The only way to get the 720p that is discernible that Fandroids talk about is by making the screen even bigger, beyond the 4''. But they are just quibbling about pixels... not actually what HD actually means.

Remember, 720p and 1080p are terms used to describe TV viewing from long distances... that is why they were made up. The farther away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need on your TV. That is why new 4K TV's need to be at least 75'' for consumers to notice a different... any smaller and you wouldn't even be able to see the 4K resolution!

The term HD is really irrelevant when it comes to modern mobile devices, because most new phones have a high enough ppi. If anyone tells you otherwise from what I just said, they are uneducated.

Ethan
QFT

The use of PPI is much more intelligent.

720P on a 4" handset vs stretched across a 60" LCD TV is completely different.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobiwan View Post
iPhone 5 = 326 ppi
HTC Rezound = 342 ppi 720p screen
HTC Droid DNA = 440 ppi 1080p screen


I guess we see where the FruitiPhone sits.
And. Since beyond 300ppi is imperceptible; then you're just paying for marketing fluff because they cant sell an uninteresting phone otherwise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
iPhone 5, iPad Air TMo, Mac mini i5
Menel is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:54 AM   #25
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I could tell the iPhone's screen was not HD, even with the MacBook Pro, the retina resolution could be much better. I mean even my Dell laptop had better resolution.

They say we don't notice the difference on a 4 inch screen, but we do. I mean even the Nokia Lumia had a better resolution and you could tell.

It's just like how Apple calls their cameras Eye Sight but there is no eyes in the camera.

And it really disappoints me because I thought retina was enought to was 4K (more HD than an HDTV) but it can't, let alone play 720.

bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone explain the difference between "All" & "Missed" notifications? ra4oasis iOS 7 27 Aug 13, 2013 12:23 PM
Anyone want to help me explain to my dad why the iPhone 5 screen is "yellow"? adcx64 iPhone 18 Jul 1, 2013 12:56 PM
My Logic "track expander tube" doesn't have "end tips" to grab! Whats up? kristenanne77 Digital Audio 3 Mar 28, 2013 08:15 AM
Does your iPhone 5 "screen distortion" or "ghosting" issues? Algo922 iPhone 0 Dec 8, 2012 01:27 PM
rMBP doesn't say "Macbook Pro" beneath the screen? Km133 MacBook Pro 12 Nov 3, 2012 06:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC