Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Does anyone have personal experience with both? I can't decide between the two. My criteria (from most important to least) are the following:

1. Reduces the quality of the Retina display least.
2. Reduces fingerprints and smudges most.
3. Most durable.

If you know of another protector besides these 2 that better meets all of my criteria, please post the name of the product.

Thank you.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Does anyone have personal experience with both? I can't decide between the two. My criteria (from most important to least) are the following:

1. Reduces the quality of the Retina display least.
2. Reduces fingerprints and smudges most.
3. Most durable.

If you know of another protector besides these 2 that better meets all of my criteria, please post the name of the product.

Thank you.

Well, the Ultra Optics meets #1
The Power Support meets #2, but Ultra Optics is still pretty good
and Both are pretty durable, but I found that SGP screen shields are easier to scratch than Power Support.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Well, the Ultra Optics meets #1
The Power Support meets #2, but Ultra Optics is still pretty good
and Both are pretty durable, but I found that SGP screen shields are easier to scratch than Power Support.

I know of these 2 the Ultra Optics reduces the screen quality least. But are there any other anti fingerprint screen protectors that outperform the Ultra Optics in this area?

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Whats everyone's opinion about

1.)Onion screen protectors compared to these two

2.)Which is clearer, Onion, SGP oleo-phobic, ultra crystal or power support, onion, equivalents

3.)I'm from the UK, so where I the cheapest to buy the best option?

4.)Do Apple in the UK do a professional fitting service for screen protectors, if so what do they charge and how good is he service?

Thank for answering the above.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I bought a power support for my iPad 3, the screen degradation was so bad I took it off and tossed it in the trash after 20 minutes.

Ever get a small droplet of water on your screen that produces a rainbow-ish effect? Well that's what the screen looked like 24/7 on a white background.

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
I bought a power support for my iPad 3, the screen degradation was so bad I took it off and tossed it in the trash after 20 minutes.

Ever get a small droplet of water on your screen that produces a rainbow-ish effect? Well that's what the screen looked like 24/7 on a white background.

So that just leaves Onion vs SGP, onion's videos are impressive, but hard to find UK supplier

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX

I've had my PS anti-glare on my iPad 3 from day one. I don't see any rainbow effect at all. I admit to some screen degradation but compared to fingerprints and constantly twisting it around to get away from the glare, I find I prefer the anti-glare.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I went ahead and got the Ultra Optics, I'm very pleased with it. Screen quality is very good and the fingerprint resistance is impressive.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010

You must have had a defective film. I have had PowerSupport AG on 4 iPads and 3 phones. I have NEVER seen any evidence of a rainbow effect or serious screen degradation. Just doesn't happen.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I went ahead and got the Ultra Optics, I'm very pleased with it. Screen quality is very good and the fingerprint resistance is impressive.

Following up with my impressions now that it's been on my iPad for a few days.

Fingerprints hardly appear at all on this screen protector. A damp microfiber about once a day is all I need to keep it pristine. Compared to cleaning my previous crystal protector every 5 minutes this is a HUGE improvement. Image quality is very good, compared to my iPhone which has an ultra oleophobic screen protector on it there is a slight difference. It's hard to tell if the difference is due to the Ultra Optics or the inherent screen quality difference between the 2 devices. I think it's more due to the Ultra Optics so it does reduce screen quality a very small amount. Regardless the iPad looks good enough where I am not constantly second guessing myself and I don't regret installing the Ultra Optics at all. Combined with the loss of smudges and fingerprints it's a winner.

As a side note I've heard that the version I got for the new iPad is significantly improved from the previous version for the iPad 2. Something to be aware of.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I got a PS HD Anti Glare yesterday. It was in the Japanese packaging. Ridiculously easy to install, and yes, I see a slight rainbow effect, I still can tell this is a retina screen though and it looks really great.

Glad to get rid of the rubbery Zagg HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.