Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
In my home I have an older iMac (not AirPlay compatible), which is where my main iTunes library lives, and a Mac mini, which I am using as an HTPC connected to my TV. I have been looking for an easy way to play music from my iTunes and stream it to my Mac mini so I can have the same music playing in different rooms of my house. I tried Airserver, but experienced quite a bit of a lag with my music.
Are there any other programs I could try or is there an easy way that I can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
In my home I have an older iMac (not AirPlay compatible), which is where my main iTunes library lives, and a Mac mini, which I am using as an HTPC connected to my TV. I have been looking for an easy way to play music from my iTunes and stream it to my Mac mini so I can have the same music playing in different rooms of my house. I tried Airserver, but experienced quite a bit of a lag with my music.
Are there any other programs I could try or is there an easy way that I can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Best way is with appletvs and/or airport expresses.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
AirServer is the best AirPlay server out there I've found; works perfectly for me on my 2010 Mac Mini. The initial lag is expected so you shouldn't consider that a fault, unless it is jerky, which is different.

Alternatively, AirFoil is a fantastic alternative to send music from one Mac to another, I use it regularly to stream Spotify from my MacBook Air to my Mac Mini HTPC over wifi.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
AirServer is the best AirPlay server out there I've found; works perfectly for me on my 2010 Mac Mini. The initial lag is expected so you shouldn't consider that a fault, unless it is jerky, which is different.

Alternatively, AirFoil is a fantastic alternative to send music from one Mac to another, I use it regularly to stream Spotify from my MacBook Air to my Mac Mini HTPC over wifi.

Pinksteady,

Thank you very much. Airfoil works beautifully without any lag at all.

Perfect solution. Thanks again.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
No problem, glad it helped! You may like to check out some other tips I've gathered over the years, which I wrote about recently in describing my Mac Mini HTPC setup:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/16/3343054/heres-my-mac-mini-htpc-setup

Great setup!! I have an almost identical setup on my Mac mini HTPC. The one program I do use, however is remote buddy which helps me control my Mac mini with my Harmony One remote.
I am very pleased with my setup. I have literally made it so simple that my 4 year old knows how to turn everything on with one button with the harmony remote and then he knows how to choose the movie he wants to watch simply by using the harmony remote. It's great!!

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I did experiment with that a while back but never quite got it to the level of simplicity that is required for me to adopt a feature into permanent residence in my setup! I opted instead for simple Harmony usage and using RowMote Pro on iOS to provide those functions. Good point though, I may revisit it on the next rainy Sunday - good to hear it works well.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I did experiment with that a while back but never quite got it to the level of simplicity that is required for me to adopt a feature into permanent residence in my setup! I opted instead for simple Harmony usage and using RowMote Pro on iOS to provide those functions. Good point though, I may revisit it on the next rainy Sunday - good to hear it works well.

How good are you at applescripts? I tried sending you a PM or email but wasn't able to through macrumors

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Think I had that disabled, I've turned it back on, feel free to send me something! I've done one or two applescripts in the past but consider me a 'fast learning beginner'!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.