Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
jk73
macrumors member

Question utility to compare Last Modified dates of HD and back-up?

My old computer died a few months after my last back-up. I've since bought a new rMBP and I've been able to access my old HD via FireWire target mode, but a few of the files on the old HD were corrupted.

Since 95 percent of my files likely weren't modified since the last back-up, the best thing seems to be to restore from the back-up (since none of those files are corrupted) and then recover/move only the files that were modified (or added) on or after the date of the last back-up. (The goal, obviously, is to have the fewest possible corrupted files -- preferably none.)

However, going file by file would take forever. Is there a utility that compares/lists the Last Modified dates of the files on a HD vs. those of a back-up (and/or lists files missing from one HD vs. another)? Or should I simply use the Advanced Search feature in the Finder, which seems like it would do the trick but, unfortunately, doesn't list files folder by folder? Thanks for all feedback.
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion