Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychbiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
2009 Macbook
Recently installed 8gb ram
Installed SSD in original HDD Space
Installed Original HDD in Optical/CD bay
Installed Mountain Lion on SSD
Everything works. Its fast, Mountain Lion recognizes the original HDD as a device and my files are on there. Some applications cant open.

What happens if I right click and eject it the HDD thats in the optical bay? I can't just unplug and plug it back in

I DID NOT erase the original HDD. To play it safe I also made a Disk Image of it because my external was never Mac formatted (would have erased all files on the external in order format it for Mac).

How do I get my Firefox Bookmarks onto my SSD? Where are they?

I open the Firefox application that's on my original HDD and the bookmarks are not there. Firefox Fox works but no bookmarks.

Tried Migration Assistant but does not recognize my external hard drive where the Disk Image is on.

I only have 60gb free space on the mounted original HDD so I cannot fully mount/restore the 90+gb Disk Image. I can erase the original HDD but worry I may lose all my music etc if the disk image doesnt work.

Thoughts? Ideas? I hope I explained everything right.

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
You cannot simply open the applications on the original HDD and expect them to work, its not that straight forward as all the preference files etc. will attempt to be loaded from the SSD and not the HDD. You'll need to re-install some of the applications that are not working to put the preference files in the correct place on the SSD.

I believe the normal recommended process would have been to backup your system using time machine to another drive before starting, install the SSD, install ML, install all your applications, and then use migration assistant to pull your setting, documents, favorites etc. back from the time machine backup.

it is possible to point your home directory to the original HDD and this may bring some functionality back, however the broken applications will remain broken and the original drive now has all the redundant OS files still on it from when it was the main drive.

psychbiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
You cannot simply open the applications on the original HDD and expect them to work, its not that straight forward as all the preference files etc. will attempt to be loaded from the SSD and not the HDD. You'll need to re-install some of the applications that are not working to put the preference files in the correct place on the SSD.

I believe the normal recommended process would have been to backup your system using time machine to another drive before starting, install the SSD, install ML, install all your applications, and then use migration assistant to pull your setting, documents, favorites etc. back from the time machine backup.

it is possible to point your home directory to the original HDD and this may bring some functionality back, however the broken applications will remain broken and the original drive now has all the redundant OS files still on it from when it was the main drive.

Totally agree about backing up or using Time Machine. I went to do that but my external hard drive which I used before I got my Mac wouldnt not work. My Mac would not read it as backup drive and I did not have any other means of backing up. So I just decided to create Disk Image.

The broken applications I'm not worried about, I can re-install or re-loaded them.

How do I "point your home directory" to get my bookmarks back?

Thanks
Rc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.