Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

AT&T unlock - how does it work? 4s

I filled out an unlock request online. I was granted the request. I successfully unlocked it by connecting it and backing up and restoring it

My question: do I need to re-unlock it every time I restore my phone? it's unlocked now but what happens when I restore it to sell it? Does it stay unlocked for good once I do it?
noobinator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobinator View Post
I filled out an unlock request online. I was granted the request. I successfully unlocked it by connecting it and backing up and restoring it

My question: do I need to re-unlock it every time I restore my phone? it's unlocked now but what happens when I restore it to sell it? Does it stay unlocked for good once I do it?
It's permanently unlocked by the IEMI number of the phone. So you don't have to do anything else in the future.
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
mjar
macrumors newbie

Yes, it will be unlocked always.
I have ATT number but i can't unlock it because i don't have SSN. Do they request SSN ?
mjar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
bobright
macrumors 68040

I am curious did you unlock it already (and are you still under contract)?

I have my iPhone 5 on the way am going to unlock my 4s as soon as I can...but they probably won't do it until the new one is activated right?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #5
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjar View Post
I have ATT number but i can't unlock it because i don't have SSN. Do they request SSN ?
No, go to this site and review the requirements for AT&T to process your unlock request.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Dav
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjar View Post
Yes they do.
monkeydodo3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:01 PM   #7
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I am curious did you unlock it already (and are you still under contract)?

I have my iPhone 5 on the way am going to unlock my 4s as soon as I can...but they probably won't do it until the new one is activated right?
Got 4s using my moms upgrade so my 4 contract is up.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
rritterson
macrumors regular

Quote:

Now that's it's unlocked, it will stay that way. The lock/unlock status only changes during activation of the phone, which only happens when the phone is new or when you restore the phone. At that time, the phone calls home to an Apple server to check whether the IMEI is unlocked or not, and as yours has already been labeled unlocked, it will stay that way.

In theory, AT&T could ask for an IMEI to be relocked and the next time someone activated the phone it would become locked again, but I've not seen that happen anywhere.
rritterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:23 PM   #9
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Got 4s using my moms upgrade so my 4 contract is up.
oh ok Friday can't come soon enough, my eBay auction on my 4s ends Thursday (selling it unlocked), get my 5 Friday and hopefully ship the 4s that same day after unlocking....this week is going extremely slow
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
falcora
macrumors 6502

It says that your contract must be fulfilled before they will approve your unlock request? How did you do it for your 4S? Did they just approve it anyways?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:19 AM   #11
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcora View Post
It says that your contract must be fulfilled before they will approve your unlock request? How did you do it for your 4S? Did they just approve it anyways?
See above. My original contract was for an iPhone 4 and it is now up. I added a 4s last year by using my moms upgrade. The phone is attached to my contract, which is now up.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12
slookx24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
See above. My original contract was for an iPhone 4 and it is now up. I added a 4s last year by using my moms upgrade. The phone is attached to my contract, which is now up.
I did the same thing, but Apple wouldn't unlock my 4S. Used my sister's upgrade to get the 4S, then added that to my own line. My old contract (iPhone 4) ended in August. I requested an unlock last week with AT&T since I was currently out of contract, but they said the 4S I'm using is associated with another account (my sister's) that is still under contract. So, they would not unlock it for me. BS.
slookx24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #13
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slookx24 View Post
I did the same thing, but Apple wouldn't unlock my 4S. Used my sister's upgrade to get the 4S, then added that to my own line. My old contract (iPhone 4) ended in August. I requested an unlock last week with AT&T since I was currently out of contract, but they said the 4S I'm using is associated with another account (my sister's) that is still under contract. So, they would not unlock it for me. BS.
I just used the online request form and was granted the unlock 3 days later. Maybe try online if you called in.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone