Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Last year, around February. I was eligible for an upgrade. I got the HTC Inspire 4G.

For the first month it was great, then I had nothing but problems. The battery sucked, the OS was awful, none of my apps ever wanted to work, my phone would read my SIM card, etc.

Nothing but flaws, so I jumped ship to the 4S when it came out.

Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of apple. It has nothing to do with their products or anything, I just...want something new, you know?

Im eligible for an upgrade in October, and I was considering an android device. Is it really that much better than an Iphone?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Last year, around February. I was eligible for an upgrade. I got the HTC Inspire 4G.

For the first month it was great, then I had nothing but problems. The battery sucked, the OS was awful, none of my apps ever wanted to work, my phone would read my SIM card, etc.

Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of apple. It has nothing to do with their products or anything, I just...want something new, you know?

Im eligible for an upgrade in October, and I was considering an android device. Is it really that much better than an Iphone?

There are going to be many different opinions on this one. I for one won't be going for an Apple phone for a couple of years at least unless there is some serious issues with my current S3.

For me, the reason is simply that I wanted a change and the ability to customize my phone to my heart's content, even if this means such a small thing as having my apps in an app drawer rather than in my face in a grid every day.

As you know, there is a learning curve to Android compared to iPhone esp regarding getting one's current Mac devices etc to play nice with the Android device, which IS possible, it just requires research.

I find no great flaws with the phone, and any flaws that I may have found (very rarely) are usually app driven.

Phones cost too much now a days to go switching back and forth too frequently. I do get bored after about 1-2 years, it's my nature. But one thing is I am constantly discovering new things that I can do with the S3 that I never could with my iPhone.

I have my apple fix with my iPad and my iMac.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Try out Jelly Bean its awesome. iOS has been playing catch up for years. Turn by turn and a pull down notification now where did those ideas come from?

Google Now is an awesome feature. The new quick text box (been around in handcent and miui for years) is also cool.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Yep. Bought a HTC One X in June and it served me OK. It is a nice piece of hardware, but even with ICS, Android does not have the refinement that iOS excels at. I have an order in for a 32GB iPhone 5 and I am looking back to being under one ecosystem to match up to my MBA and iPad.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Try out Jelly Bean its awesome. iOS has been playing catch up for years. Turn by turn and a pull down notification now where did those ideas come from?

Google Now is an awesome feature. The new quick text box (been around in handcent and miui for years) is also cool.

Including turn by turn sounds a bit weird IMO. Cause of the fact that Google didn't create Turn-By-Turn. GPSs had them years before any of the OSs were made. xD

And yes! Jelly Bean is awesome.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012

Try a REAL Android phone this time, huge difference. The SIII perhaps

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
I honestly wouldn't have considered a pre Ice Cream Sandwich Android device over an iPhone.

Most of the old school Android phones had awful manufacture implemented skins (see: Motorola DROOOOIIIIID) and pretty horrible battery life, which got worse once 4G LTE came out). And the displays were lousy compared to the iPhone 4 and 4S's Retina Display.

The Galaxy S3 and the current Nexus seem like the first Android phones that can really compete head to head with the iPhone platform.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

Better is really a subjective word at this point since they are fairly comparable. It seems like you might prefer Android if you found the right device.

The only Android phone is the nexus while the S3 and others are Android-based. Since you are up for an upgrade come October, I would wait and see where we are with whatever new Nexus is coming out and then choose to try that or the S3. Worse comes to worst, you can always return it for the Iphone like you did last night.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I got the HTC Inspire 4G
So lets see:

-Mediocre handset with mediocre reviews.
-2.x version of Android with Sense UI.
-4G phone back in Early 2011.
-Single core CPU with bad GPU

Why do you people insist on buying Android phones that nobody talks about, nobody uses, nobody is intent on buying, and nobody likes, yet you act as if that one experience based on your uninformed, poorly made decision is representative of the entire Android community?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I went from iPhone 4s to Galaxy S3 but now back to iPhone 4s. I wanted to try S3 since every one said it's the best Android phone. I wasn't feeling it so went back to iPhone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 are offering nothing to bring me back. The iPhone is getting better for people who are dedicated to only that device. That's great for them (really).

Last edited:

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Yes, went from the iPhone 4 to the Droid Razr Maxx. Coming back for iPhone 5. Who knows for next time. I'm a smartphone playa.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I keep 2 mistresses. I have a Galaxy Note and an iPhone 4S that I change depending on how I feel that day.

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
As far as iOS vs Android, there are some fundamental differences that are a deal breaker for a lot of people but neither is really better, just different. The newest version of Android (Jelly Bean) has been my best Android experience by far; some really nice new features.

You could pick up a new, unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Google for $350 and use your contract extension on something else. The Galaxy SIII and HTC One X are also popular choices at the moment. (You're on AT&T, right?)

Last edited:

alstrike

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
I did this:

iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> Galaxy S2 -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S3 -> iPhone 4S :D

The S3 was in my hands 72h to be precise...

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
It's weird because I have the apple ecosystem.

Like I said I have no issues with my iphone, its just getting boring. I've had an iphone since 2007. I would like to try other devices, and not even lying the Galaxy S3 looks amazing.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
My dad just did the opposite.

He had the OG Motorola Droid, then last October bought the iPhone 4S, and is now selling it and getting the Samsung Galaxy S3.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
My dad just did the opposite.

He had the OG Motorola Droid, then last October bought the iPhone 4S, and is now selling it and getting the Samsung Galaxy S3.

You'd have to rip my S3 from my cold, rotting hands before I would be forced to use a child's toy like the iphone. Why would any rational person buy an unfinished and underdeveloped phone is beyond me. I'm sure we could put an Apple logo on a nice shiny rock and call it the next big thing and every itoting moron would buy it. It is really amazing to see the sheer amount of brainwashing Steve Jobs accomplished in creating his cult. It is really impressive.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What about iOS to Windows Phone?

I haven't looked back. Sometimes I miss some great apps - there's no Words With Friends - and sometimes I miss having a home screen with a background...

But I haven't looked back. Oh, and no iTunes.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
So lets see:

-Mediocre handset with mediocre reviews.
-2.x version of Android with Sense UI.
-4G phone back in Early 2011.
-Single core CPU with bad GPU

Why do you people insist on buying Android phones that nobody talks about, nobody uses, nobody is intent on buying, and nobody likes, yet you act as if that one experience based on your uninformed, poorly made decision is representative of the entire Android community?

It can be tough to keep track of what Android phone to buy, when OEMs churn them out every other week... Hell, they're already talking about the Galaxy S4, and the Android community is still creaming itself over the SGS3. And I'm guessing when he bought that phone, it was "cutting edge" (just like every other Android that gets released). It's awfully easy to be critical of the guy for buying what was available at the time.

He asked for opinions on how Android is in comparison to iOS, not a lecture from our friendly, neighborhood Android Nazi on why he has such poor tech purchasing habits.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You'd have to rip my S3 from my cold, rotting hands before I would be forced to use a child's toy like the iphone. Why would any rational person buy an unfinished and underdeveloped phone is beyond me. I'm sure we could put an Apple logo on a nice shiny rock and call it the next big thing and every itoting moron would buy it. It is really amazing to see the sheer amount of brainwashing Steve Jobs accomplished in creating his cult. It is really impressive.

While I agree, it's also time to admit that America is a pretty shallow culture. Looks matter. I actually think this is something Samsung should start admitting. "Premium quality builds" seem to be a major point of contention for a lot of people. If Samsung can bridge that gap, they could really give Apple something to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.