Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
My wife and I both bought the original iPhone is '07, have upgraded each year and retained our unlimited plans. They are coveted, as we all know.

Well, last night I looked through our usage (i track it). Only once, since '07 have we ever went over 3 Gbs a month.

So tonight I converted to Mobile Share...

My previous plan
  • 700 anytime minutes
  • Unlimited text & mobile-to-mobile
  • 2 Unlimited iPhone data plans
  • 1 2gb per month iPhone data plan (our son's)
Cost = $194 per month

New Plan
  • Unlimited text and talk
  • 6 Gb Shared data
New features
  • Facetime over 3G
  • Personal Hotspots on all devices
Cost = $195 per month

For our situation, it made total sense. My wife and I both have wifi iPads, and MacBooks, the tether will come in handy!

Also, I will never want a 3G iPad ever at this point, sure you can share data now, however you will pay a $30 per month fee for the device. I had a 2nd Gen iPad with 3G and it was such a waste of money, I never used it enough to justify the plan or the premium.

I know some of you hold tightly to that unlimited plan, I did too. But realistically, with the throttling, does it really make sense to keep it anymore?

Anyone else considering the same?:

France-

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
...So you dropped an unlimited data plan...
...to spend an extra dollar every year, plus a feature or two?
Doesn't seem logical to me.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
People don't realize with LTE you will use almost twice as much data for the most part. So having unlimited or 5gb cap would have benefited you altleast til you see how much data you use with LTE.

Wait did you even upgrade to the iPhone 5? If not everything I said is irrelevant.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Doesn't make sense to me. I will always try to keep my unlimited data as long as I can. Throttled? Yes but there's no over usage fees, ever.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Mobile share is a great idea, but costs far too much. Verizon and AT&T set up the plans to capitalize on the fact that data usage will continue to skyrocket in the upcoming years, where users will pay by the gigabyte. Sharing a pool of data is great, but it can also easily lead to scenarios where some members of the family are using more than the allotted data causing overage fees.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
People don't realize with LTE you will use almost twice as much data for the most part. So having unlimited or 5gb cap would have benefited you altleast til you see how much data you use with LTE.

That is completely dependent on your habits. If you use your phone for a task lets say download a 2MB email, it's still only going to use 2MB. Maybe you will do more on 4G in the same amount of time you would on 3G, but that completely dependent on the user.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I'm not a fan of these Shared Data plans, but regarding what you're saying, why not?
Now they have:

- Hot spot
- Unlimited minutes
- No throttling

Makes sense to me if you're not needing "unlimited" data anyways.

People don't realize with LTE you will use almost twice as much data for the most part..

I'll never understand this. For example, when I want to check my email. I'll do it on LTE, but faster. The same emails are/would've been checked regardless of speed. It depends, really.

Last edited:

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
30 + 30 + 30 is still cheaper than the 6GB shared family plan.

Hell if you had just activated the iphone 2g on you sons line then switched back to his current iphone = unlimited data....

Nice logic OP

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Hell if you had just activated the iphone 2g on you sons line then switched back to his current iphone = unlimited data....

Nice logic OP

How? it's $90 just for the 6GB plan and $35 (maybe $30) for each phone added to it. it it's 90+30+30+30

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
LTE will chew through data alarmingly fast as previously mentioned. Videos load in HD, ads that are videos load in HD, YouTube and all sites alike will use HD vids and that is usually what eats lots of data. You will download large apps in seconds on 4G and before you know it... Cap exceeded. Be mindful and stick to wifi anytime you can if capped.

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
LTE will chew through data alarmingly fast as previously mentioned. Videos load in HD, ads that are videos load in HD, YouTube and all sites alike will use HD vids and that is usually what eats lots of data. You will download large apps in seconds on 4G and before you know it... Cap exceeded. Be mindful and stick to wifi anytime you can if capped.

this goes with assuming that people live in an area with LTE is Available ?

just saying, the closes place that offers LTE to me is Los angeles .... 3 hours away..

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I'm tempted to do this too, as I am in a similar situation and really want tethering/FaceTime over cellular, but I keep thinking that a new app is going to come out that uses a ton of data or my usage habits will change with LTE available on my phone and I'll want that unlimited back. So I'm hanging on to it for as long as I can!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

What if you dont watch youtube or ads on youtube on your phone? How can you download large apps when there's a limit on the size of an app before it needs to be on wifi only to download?
People think LTE data will just make your usage amount crazy where in reality it has to do with the way you use it or how much.
Right now I get 8-9mbps on HSPA+ and with LTE and the same daily use of my phone all of a sudden I will use double or tripple the data?
Its already fast right now.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm tempted to do this too, as I am in a similar situation and really want tethering/FaceTime over cellular, but I keep thinking that a new app is going to come out that uses a ton of data or my usage habits will change with LTE available on my phone and I'll want that unlimited back. So I'm hanging on to it for as long as I can!

just use Skype, it works over 3G and you can use it on different OS's, not just iOS

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN

And explain how this is illogical? The unlimited data fetish is, at its core, illogical. Its not 'unlimited' folks...

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN

Wait did you even upgrade to the iPhone 5? If not everything I said is irrelevant.

No i did not upgrade to the 5. And just because LTE is twice as fast it doesn't mean it will be twice the usage.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN

Nice logic OP

That wasn't possible at the time. He didn't get his first 'hand me down' until last year. Prior to that I sold the previous models on ebay.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
It's not twice as fast.

Some places get 75mb/s vs 3mb/s (3g) - LTE is significantly faster. If you do not watch videos on your phone you'll be fine. If you do then you're screwed. You'll be at 6GB on week 2 and you won't be able to do jack squat on your phone until the next month.

No i did not upgrade to the 5. And just because LTE is twice as fast it doesn't mean it will be twice the usage.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
Seriously folks, you think I did this to save a dollar? Good lord...

I did this for:
- gain Facetime over 3G
- tether our iPads and laptops

Our 700 minutes were getting chewed up. I telecommute for my job, I'm always on the phone, and I have a tween who talks on the phone incessantly. If I jumped up another tier on my minutes plan, it would be more than I really need. And again, our data was under utilized over the past 5 years?

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Using some good judgment will help keep you data lower. For example,
download Apps when at home over WiFi.
Send pictures via Email not SMS
theres others just think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.