Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Yesterday afternoon, I get a call from my dad screaming about the $400 charge on his card from the Apple Store. For a second, I actually thought I did it.. but I remembered I canceled my card from his account and got my own account.. so I explained to him that it wasn't me. We called Apple to find that someone with the shipping address in Georgia bought 2 $200 gift certificates from the iTMS. My dad got his money back in about 20 mins of being on the phone, and they indicated that they will be able to trace the IP address and everything. Alright.. so you buy 400 songs.. and you're gonna go to jail for it. I think the person was an idiot, because if you're gonna do that.. why just not download the songs on a free, illegal program.. where atleast you won't get hit with credit card fraud. My guess was that they bought 2 iPod mini's, but then we called Apple.
We also found out that Wachovia's database was hacked and that my dad should call and get a new card.. well the same day he got the letter the same day he found this charge.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah all that effort doesn't seem worth it for music he probably could have gotten on p2p anyways. Maybe he was gonna give them as gifts trying to make it look like he spent a lot of money on some people.

Can they really trace an IP address like that? I mean I guess they could if he did it from his house.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Yeah.. problem is I have the same bank... been watching my account like a hawk.. I can't afford to lose any money to fraud.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Heb1228 said:
Yeah all that effort doesn't seem worth it for music he probably could have gotten on p2p anyways. Maybe he was gonna give them as gifts trying to make it look like he spent a lot of money on some people.

Can they really trace an IP address like that? I mean I guess they could if he did it from his house.
With the IP address and the exact time, the ISP can pinpoint the location of the modem/DSL/Cable box. 'course if it's a cybercafe or someone who was wardriving unsecure WiFi networks, all bets are off.

How would you like to be JoeHomeowner with a brand new wireless router you plugged in right out of the box, and get hit with a summons for fraud?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
AFAIK, Wachovia's database(s) wasn't hacked, but one of their customer's databases was. This exposed Debit Card info. Your dad, if he was exposed, should have gotten a letter from Wachovia and already receieved a replacement debit card and assurances from Wachovia that the old debit card number would be turned off on 8.31.05.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm pretty sure that Apple online typically requires the billing address of the credit card to purchase... at least that was my experience. So the person in Georgia knew your father's credit card's billing address? :confused: At least he gets his $$$ back.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
devilot76 said:
I'm pretty sure that Apple online typically requires the billing address of the credit card to purchase... at least that was my experience. So the person in Georgia knew your father's credit card's billing address? :confused: At least he gets his $$$ back.
Yeah.. that's what Apple said.. they got his billing address too.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mikemodena said:
Yeah.. that's what Apple said.. they got his billing address too.
Holy guacamole! That seems pretty far to go just to get that music... :eek: But like a previous poster mentioned, you would think that if that person was going to steal for the itunes, you'd think they'd just straight up and steal from the 'net. I bet they were going to try to give those gift cards. Imagine their surprise when Apple cancels from their end, those two cards. *snort* HA!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
what type of retard commits debit card fraud to buy songs online... why not just download them from limewire/bit torrent tracker.....

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Probably the same jerk who jacks someones ebay account and the sells said iTunes gift cards at a discount.

Edit: I mean clearly he could have spent it on something better, but we are talking about a criminal. Probably not terribly bright to begin with.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mkubal said:
Edit: I mean clearly he could have spent it on something better, but we are talking about a criminal. Probably not terribly bright to begin with.
Haha, a valid point. Although a part of me thinks that some criminals are too smart, they get lazy and figure they can outsmart people/authorities and get by the easy way. :eek:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yeah, that makes me think, with the current rates of people getting caught for crimes as low as they are if i were to be a criminal i could do pretty much anything and get away with it because i'm far more intelligent than those retards.... then i remember thats never going to happen....

~dreams of being a cat burglar, shakes head~

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, Wachovia's credit card accounts are handled by Bank One (now J.P. Morgan Chase). I used to work in the credit card department for Bank One when they got Wachovia's credit card accounts.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Wachovia Debit Cards are Visas

Here's how it broke down for me:

Wachovia informed me that Visa informed THEM that there was an "unauthorized access" into a third party merchant processor's system. Card Systems Solutions, Inc (CSS) is a company that processes check/debit/credit card transactions for over 100,000 retail, mail order, and internet merchants. They were a victim of a computer hack between AUGUST 2004 and MAY 2005 (HOLY CRAP, nice IT security!). My check card number, name as it appears on the card, exp date, and magnetic strip data was "potentially exposed".

Wachovia systems weren't compromised.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
Hector said:
what type of retard commits debit card fraud to buy songs online... why not just download them from limewire/bit torrent tracker.....

But if he used a file sharing program the RIAA would be breaking down his door.. And you know those guys are way worse than your local popo or the FBI :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
watcher2001 said:
But if he used a file sharing program the RIAA would be breaking down his door.. And you know those guys are way worse than your local popo or the FBI :)

ah a victim of their scare tactics, you know the number of people they take to court compared with them number of people that download illegally? your more likely to be struck by lightning.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, how about these idiots... "let's put private financial information, you know, probably the biggest draw to criminals imaginable, on a server that apparently doesn't restrict access to the intranet!"
"I can one-up that! Let's run it on IIS!"

Hector said:
ah a victim of their scare tactics, you know the number of people they take to court compared with them number of people that download illegally? your more likely to be struck by lightning.

You're more likely to win the lottery.

mikeyfern

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
Considering you need an account to buy and play iTunes songs, it all seems really traceable. Why not just buy some hard goods (a TV or an iPod) if you're going to use a stolen credit card?

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
mikemodena said:
Yesterday afternoon, I get a call from my dad screaming about the $400 charge on his card from the Apple Store. For a second, I actually thought I did it.. but I remembered I canceled my card from his account and got my own account.. so I explained to him that it wasn't me. We called Apple to find that someone with the shipping address in Georgia bought 2 $200 gift certificates from the iTMS. My dad got his money back in about 20 mins of being on the phone, and they indicated that they will be able to trace the IP address and everything. Alright.. so you buy 400 songs.. and you're gonna go to jail for it. I think the person was an idiot, because if you're gonna do that.. why just not download the songs on a free, illegal program.. where atleast you won't get hit with credit card fraud. My guess was that they bought 2 iPod mini's, but then we called Apple.
We also found out that Wachovia's database was hacked and that my dad should call and get a new card.. well the same day he got the letter the same day he found this charge.

you sure u werent drunk and went on a shopping spree???

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
mkubal said:
Good criminals are usually much smarter than us normal folk, but like I said "good criminals"! This guy is obvisiouly a real nitwit! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.