Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Nov 16, 2002, 05:10 PM   #1
vniow
macrumors 603

Japan gov't considers abandoning Microsoft Windows

Quote:
TOKYO The Japanese government is reviewing the possibility of no longer using Microsoft Corp's Windows operating system as part of its plans to boost computer security within the government, the Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported Saturday.

Too bad it's only the government offices
vniow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Looks like Linix and open source options are what they're looking at - stating that it won't require payed upgrades. I don't blame them at all. If more large corporations do this that would be great, but I know for a fact that not everything (app wise) is available on Linix. There still needs to be a little more development there, but I can only imagine it will be a matter of time.

D
Old Nov 16, 2002, 08:35 PM   #3
job
macrumors 68040

Many other countries have already ditched Windows for Linux.

The German government now uses SuSE Linux. So do many German companies.

Most companies switched simply due to the extreme costs of having to upgrade Windows and associated software.
job is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events