Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baltoyyz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
While waiting for my 5 pre order to arrive I was thinking that I need a bunch more of the new cables. One home, one for the car, one for the office and one for my computer bag. When do you think the cables we will available in the apple store or big box stores? I would love to grab a couple extra to have before launch I would hate to have to go to an apple store on launch day.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I called my local Apple store on Friday and they had no clue. I'll probably call again tomorrow. I expect there to be a mad rush for them come Friday and I'm hoping if they are available before then I can pick up one or two.

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
i will probably have to just live with the cable that came with my 5 for a short time until supplies get better and hopefully 3rd party manf. make it cheaper like belkin, griffin, incase etc...

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Ok. So I'm not delusional. I was looking around on their site for the cables to order when I get the connector adaptor for my stereo and couldn't find it.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The Apple store had the cables, I ordered two a few days ago and they will be here tomorrow. They had no adapters in stock

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I ordered 3 from the Apple Store site on Thursday of last week. It's free shipping for orders of $50 or more and it took 3 to cross that threshold. I got my shipping notice this AM and they will be here Wednesday. I think new orders are showing shipping times as "2 to 3 weeks", so finding them at a retail Apple location might be best, as long as you have one reasonably close. Who knows what Best Buy or other big retailers will have.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
This seller on Amazon is listed lightning cables and adapters for $10 available for purchase starting on the 26th. I'm not sure how much I would trust for it to work right since I know nothing about the seller, but that's the first I've seen of third party sellers with lightning cables/adapters. They just added their logo to Apple's images.

baltoyyz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
i will probably have to just live with the cable that came with my 5 for a short time until supplies get better and hopefully 3rd party manf. make it cheaper like belkin, griffin, incase etc...

There were rumors that Apple was not granting 3rd party accessory makers access to the new connector until next year. If this is true then it will be a while before the prices drop.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
There were rumors that Apple was not granting 3rd party accessory makers access to the new connector until next year. If this is true then it will be a while before the prices drop.
According to Engadget Mobile's podcast then the lightning cables are a pretty complicated thing so reverse engineering them by 3rd party could take "years".

While I doubt it will take "years", Im guessing it wont be fast either and that really stinks because I need about five extras right away and dont feel like spending $100 on new cables (or $30 a pop on 30pin adapters).

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA

well that stinks, but i guess it's their patented product, their rules :(

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This seller on Amazon is listed lightning cables and adapters for $10 available for purchase starting on the 26th. I'm not sure how much I would trust for it to work right since I know nothing about the seller, but that's the first I've seen of third party sellers with lightning cables/adapters. They just added their logo to Apple's images.

On the website?

Available the 26th because they are waiting for their order to arrive to reverse engineer it and make lower cost 3rd party versions.

blugel

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Any ideas if the places selling the iPhone 5 this Friday will have the cables in stock at some time (Best Buy, Walmart, etc etc)?

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Cable variations?

So the new phone connector is called 'lightning' and is designed to match mac's 'Thunderbolt' port.

Now I'm a pc person so bear with me. I assume pairing the thunderbolt with the lightning has a speed advantage over lightning to usb2, so, are there thunderbolt to lightning cables, and are there lightning to usb3 cables for us that are pc people ?.

confused of London

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
So the new phone connector is called 'lightning' and is designed to match mac's 'Thunderbolt' port.

Now I'm a pc person so bear with me. I assume pairing the thunderbolt with the lightning has a speed advantage over lightning to usb2, so, are there thunderbolt to lightning cables, and are there lightning to usb3 cables for us that are pc people ?.

confused of London

Lightning is USB 2.0 compatible :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

How much you want to bet the Chinese will bootleg them and start selling them for $1 each in a few weeks?
There's no way I'm paying $30 or $39 for a wire.

----------

According to Engadget Mobile's podcast then the lightning cables are a pretty complicated thing so reverse engineering them by 3rd party could take "years".

That's bs.
Years to copy a wire?
You really believe that?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

confused of London

There is no Lightning to Thunderbolt.
There is Lightning to USB and then there are adapters for Lightning to micro-USB and Lightning to old 30-pin.
Adapters for Lightning to HDMI are also coming.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
How much you want to bet the Chinese will bootleg them and start selling them for $1 each in a few weeks?
There's no way I'm paying $30 or $39 for a wire.

----------

That's bs.
Years to copy a wire?
You really believe that?

The Lightning to USB cable is $19.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I agree $19 seems high, but I've had some $1-2 ones and they last about that long in weeks. I bought 2 Apple ones to tide me over until some decent third party ones come out. I like the RND ones on Amazon. They were $10 and have lasted very well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I agree $19 seems high, but I've had some $1-2 ones and they last about that long in weeks. I bought 2 Apple ones to tide me over until some decent third party ones come out. I like the RND ones on Amazon. They were $10 and have lasted very well.

I have all my eBay and mono price cables still working for years without one fail.
It's just a wire, not brain surgery:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.