Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Anyone know how - or even IF - the Mac port is going?

It seems to me they were overwhelmed with all the work required to get this game released on the PC and subsequently the level editor. They're only a small team of five guys I believe. That said it's hard to say if they'll ever get around to porting it to the Mac.

As doh113 pointed out it does work quite well in Wineskin. I have yet to try it myself but a lot of people seem to have had success playing it that way.

-PN

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
wonder why they don't just release a Wineskin port of it officially... cheap and quick and it runs great.

segovius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Barcelona / Berlin
It seems to me they were overwhelmed with all the work required to get this game released on the PC and subsequently the level editor. They're only a small team of five guys I believe. That said it's hard to say if they'll ever get around to porting it to the Mac.

As doh113 pointed out it does work quite well in Wineskin. I have yet to try it myself but a lot of people seem to have had success playing it that way.

-PN

Apparently they have started work on it though...not sure how seriously but they were at one point doing it.

Hackfix21

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
Legend of Grimrock is out for Mac today. At least on Steam it's now Steamplay, so a previously bought Windows version now gives access to the Mac version as well.

At the same time they've done some pretty amazing improvements to the graphics engine - the "low rendering" setting (which to me looks barely different from high, ie still really nice) plays totally smooth on my lowly Nvidia 9400m at native 1680x1050 resolution.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Great game, but I gave up on it on the Goromorg Temple Level as I just couldn't deal with the Frost Lizards. I found them to be impossible with my party. So many of them in that level.
I wish I could find a cheat to allow me to get past them. Infinite health, or something.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
the game popped up in my Mac Steam list a couple weeks back, haven't tried it yet though.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
I grabbed the Windows version of this game during the Steam Thanksgiving sale for under $4. I figured it was going to be a Steamplay title so I'd get the Mac version for free when it came out which is exactly what has happened. However the Windows version works perfectly in Crossover 12 so I've been playing it off and on anyways since then but have now moved my saved games to the Mac version.

In short this is a really well-done game and harkens back to the type of dungeon crawlers that just generally aren't made anymore. It's very atmospheric and will even scare you at times. It's also very heavily puzzle orientated and quite a bit more challenging than most of the dumbed down stuff you see today. But it's difficult in a good way. I hope we see more from these guys.

-PN

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
If you bought the Stand-a-lone Windows version (non-Steam), you can go back to the original download email you have and go back to the same link and re-download the stand-a-lone Mac and Linux versions for no extra cost...

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
I'm thinking about buying the Mac version of Legend of Grimrock off Steam, in the UK.

Is anyone able to confirm that the Steam Version runs fine
(i) in Mountain Lion, and
(ii) on a new iMac with a 680MX.

Any help appreciated....

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
If you bought the Stand-a-lone Windows version (non-Steam), you can go back to the original download email you have and go back to the same link and re-download the stand-a-lone Mac and Linux versions for no extra cost...

Is this right ?

I purchased my standalone Windows copy from GOG.

I have dropped the Grimrock people a mail on this.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I'm thinking about buying the Mac version of Legend of Grimrock off Steam, in the UK.

Is anyone able to confirm that the Steam Version runs fine
(i) in Mountain Lion, and
(ii) on a new iMac with a 680MX.

Any help appreciated....
Mountain Lion yes... I've used it with a Geforce 650M fine, so I doubt the 680MX will have a problem.

If you buy the game off the Grimrock website, they give you a DRM free version... you get all versions and a Steam key.

Is this right ?

I purchased my standalone Windows copy from GOG.

I have dropped the Grimrock people a mail on this.
I have no idea if its good if you bought it from GOG... I got it from Grimrock makers themselves directly on the Grimrock website.

Renzatic

Suspended
I have no idea if its good if you bought it from GOG... I got it from Grimrock makers themselves directly on the Grimrock website.

According to this, and checking out the GOG website, they're only offering Grimrock Windows only.

Though the GOG people are usually fairly cool about stuff like this. They'll likely put up a link to both the Win/Mac versions when it comes available on their site. Which, honestly, I'm surprised hasn't happened already.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Anybody who bought the Windows version of Grimrock through GOG can now download the Mac version at no extra charge :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.