Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solidsephiroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Are the banners as big (or bigger as in the iPhone 4)?

Does the added vertical space make the notifications less intrusive?

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012

I imagine its probably as intrusive as it is on the 4/4S. Not sure if Apple makes the whole screen scrunch down for notifications in iOS6.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
At first glance it would seemingly make sense to have the entire screen shift downward when notifications come. Upon further thinking, it would probably be a terrible user experience.

Imagine playing a game or using any app that has the navigation icons on the bottom (most do). When a notification comes, you would temporarily lose access to the navigation icons or at least some real estate in the game space.

The current implementation isn't perfect since you lose some real estate at the top, but I think it makes more sense than shifting everything down or shortening the height of the app.

redb4n

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I hope for letterboxed apps the notification pushes the app down, that way you can read the notification without it covering any of the app space, and there's space to fill anyway due to the letterbox.

solidsephiroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I would really hope that the notification size stays the same, therefore, seeming smaller in relation to the rest of the screen.

Pleas correct me if I'm wrong but, everything on the homescreen has stayed the same size right? The vertical space only added an extra row of icons. This is why I'm assuming that they haven't enlarged the notification banner size. I hope this is correct because it will be less intrusive.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Apparently one reason for the redesigned dock connector is so that, in addition to regular notification settings, you can have tiny little flags and trumpets emerge from the dock and wave around while playing lively polka music.

Settings -> Notifications -> Flags & Bugles

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Apparently one reason for the redesigned dock connector is so that, in addition to regular notification settings, you can have tiny little flags and trumpets emerge from the dock and wave around while playing lively polka music.

Settings -> Notifications -> Flags & Bugles

See now i want to stand in line for my iPH5 and not wait til later in the year.

solidsephiroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So, now that a lot of you have the iPhone 5, does anyone have an answer for this question? Screen caps would be awesome!

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Something I've noticed is that when you're typing a message, and you get another message there is a notification, where there didn't used to be one if you were already in messages. I don't think I like this but can't find a way to disable it so far :(

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Something I've noticed is that when you're typing a message, and you get another message there is a notification, where there didn't used to be one if you were already in messages. I don't think I like this but can't find a way to disable it so far :(

+ 1.
And I can't see a way to turn it off either...

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

Is the new message notification coming from the same person you're typing to? Or it's another person?

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Is the new message notification coming from the same person you're typing to? Or it's another person?

The notification comes from a different person. Haven't had enough time to experience if there would be a notification from the same person I was typing to, but I would highly doubt that they would do that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Josh Topolsky's review from The Verge answers your question head on:

"Apple's implementation of "unobtrusive" notifications while you're using the phone stands out as one the weaker components of the system. Originally I saw Notification Center as a welcome relief from Apple's pop-up messages and alerts, but the way the company handles these beacons can now be nearly as annoying as the previous version. As I mentioned, instead of utilizing that new, taller screen to give you notifications removed from areas of the phone you regularly need to access (you know, like menus in apps), the notifications continue to pop down over the upper portion of the screen. The result is that you feel trapped, waiting for the message to disappear before you can access buttons you need to get to, or forced to swipe to the left on the message — a hidden function which scurries the dropdown away."

solidsephiroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Josh Topolsky's review from The Verge answers your question head on:

"Apple's implementation of "unobtrusive" notifications while you're using the phone stands out as one the weaker components of the system. Originally I saw Notification Center as a welcome relief from Apple's pop-up messages and alerts, but the way the company handles these beacons can now be nearly as annoying as the previous version. As I mentioned, instead of utilizing that new, taller screen to give you notifications removed from areas of the phone you regularly need to access (you know, like menus in apps), the notifications continue to pop down over the upper portion of the screen. The result is that you feel trapped, waiting for the message to disappear before you can access buttons you need to get to, or forced to swipe to the left on the message — a hidden function which scurries the dropdown away."

It seems like I'll continue using "Diet Bulletin" once I buy and later jailbreak the iPhone 5 (as soon as it's possible).

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Nope, the are exactly the same as they've always been. Interesting move not dedicating that space to something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.