Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Now here's what I call a design challenge: propose a series of designs for the reverse (tails) side of coins for the United Kingdom of the following denominations:

1p 2p 5p 10p 20p 50p

A prize of up to £30,000 is on offer (£5000 per coin).

Full details at the Royal mint website

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Heard about this on the radio last night. Hope we see something a little more contemporary come out of this although I highly doubt it.

Idly considered it for about 0.3 seconds then humbly accepted my calling in life.

But... Designing for metal: cool.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
That's a pretty cool competition. Do you get your prize paid in your new coins (imagine £5000 in really shiny 1p pieces!)

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
this sounded cool, until I glanced through the speccifications PDF from the Royal Mint and its actually really complex, I was hioping you could just submit a drawing, but you need measurements and everything. :(

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
robbieduncan said:
That's a pretty cool competition. Do you get your prize paid in your new coins (imagine £5000 in really shiny 1p pieces!)
Then you could get a cheap (well with that money it doesn't have to be) paddling pool and swim in it :D

Just downloaded the pdf, so going to have a look tonight to see if it's worth it.

Thanks for the post dops7107

::20ROGERSC::

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
gangst said:
this sounded cool, until I glanced through the speccifications PDF from the Royal Mint and its actually really complex, I was hioping you could just submit a drawing, but you need measurements and everything. :(

Looks pretty tricky doesn't it? And I think you have to submit a design for all six, not just one individual coin - though I may have that wrong. Plus your earnings are draamatically reduced if you don't produce the model yourself!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Blue Velvet said:
Heard about this on the radio last night. Hope we see something a little more contemporary come out of this although I highly doubt it.

Idly considered it for about 0.3 seconds then humbly accepted my calling in life.

But... Designing for metal: cool.
Hey! Welcome back - long time no hear...

Seriously - I hope the UK fairs better with this than California did with our commemorative quarter (it's UGLY, and there were some real beautiful modern designs proposed). In the end, the Governator made the decision on the design, which says an awful lot right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.