Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
how long should it take to encode a 3hour video from a blu-ray? i saw some mentions of 2-4 hours on these forums before, but handbrake is currently reporting 8 hours for me (its on 'high profile') before, i had it on the ATV3 preset, which had it at 7 hours. im confused.

the quality is set at 20.

is there something i need to do to make the itme shorter? or is this time normal and what most people are doing?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
how long should it take to encode a 3hour video from a blu-ray? i saw some mentions of 2-4 hours on these forums before, but handbrake is currently reporting 8 hours for me (its on 'high profile') before, i had it on the ATV3 preset, which had it at 7 hours. im confused.

is there something i need to do to make the itme shorter? or is this time normal and what most people are doing?

High Profile takes about two times more time to encode than the default normal. I'd say, seeing it's a three-hour movie and you have a 2011 MBP, that 7-8 hours are pretty normal in this case. (Are you sure those mentioning 2-4 hours also tried to transcode 3-hour-long movies, and not, say, 90-minute ones?)

(Alternatively, if storage isn't an issue AND the original bitstream is H.264 AND is under 25 Mbps, you can just remux it to an m4v file with Subler. It'd only take around 5-6 minutes on your SSD config.)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Too many variables to predict normalcy. But I would be happy with a 7 hour transcode of a 3 hour BR. Remember...you are using constant quality so time and file size will vary with the source...and of course the horsepower you throw at it.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
High Profile takes about two times more time to encode than the default normal. I'd say, seeing it's a three-hour movie and you have a 2011 MBP, that 7-8 hours are pretty normal in this case. (Are you sure those mentioning 2-4 hours also tried to transcode 3-hour-long movies, and not, say, 90-minute ones?)

(Alternatively, if storage isn't an issue AND the original bitstream is H.264 AND is under 25 Mbps, you can just remux it to an m4v file with Subler. It'd only take around 5-6 minutes on your SSD config.)

what results differences does normal and high profile yield, i mean is it particularly noticeable? i can only assume so. i'm not sure what length of video it was those people were talking about. 5-6 minutes would be very nice, unfortunately i couldn't hold a library of files that large.

Too many variables to predict normalcy. But I would be happy with a 7 hour transcode of a 3 hour BR. Remember...you are using constant quality so time and file size will vary with the source...and of course the horsepower you throw at it.

yeah, its a little over 3 hours to be price, nearing 3 and a half.

i'm going to see what a 2 hour video would be like after this. i guess i will just leave it all night.

how much of a difference in time do you think i will see if the video is abour 2 hours length rather tahn near 3 and a half?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
what results differences does normal and high profile yield, i mean is it particularly noticeable? i can only assume so. i'm not sure what length of video it was those people were talking about. 5-6 minutes would be very nice, unfortunately i couldn't hold a library of files that large.

yeah, its a little over 3 hours to be price, nearing 3 and a half.

i'm going to see what a 2 hour video would be like after this. i guess i will just leave it all night.

how much of a difference in time do you think i will see if the video is abour 2 hours length rather tahn near 3 and a half?
1/3rd less :D

It also depends on the detail in the movie, darkness, grain, action, etc. I combined the LOTR EE BR discs to a 41/2 hr movie and it took over 24hrs. So you see what I mean about 7-8hrs not being so bad. Notice below that I have a duo core. My 2 hour BR's using go around 11 hours +/-2hrs.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
is there any reason why MakeMKV would rip a disc and the MKV is 'stuttery' and looks like its playing slightly slow mo at 15 frames per second or something?

i'v tried several times on this one and i get the same result.

edit:

just realised, MacBlu-Ray player seems to play back the disc the same way! stuttery, and a bit pixelated. strange. any idea why this would happen?

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Look, it's really simple, if you are concerned with best quality, you have to both be patient with the transcode and not find fault with the resulting file size.

If you are concerned with how fast a HB task gets done or how small a resulting file size can be, you can manipulate profiles, settings, etc to make it go faster and/or end up with small files... but at the expense of quality.

If you are going to the trouble of ripping BD instead of DVD, you obviously are looking for pretty good (or great) quality (else the latter would rip much faster and end up with a much smaller file). If so, rip 'em, add them to the HB que when you go to bed each night and let the computer do the work while you sleep.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
just realised, MacBlu-Ray player seems to play back the disc the same way! stuttery, and a bit pixelated. strange. any idea why this would happen?

What I do with BD discs playing back on my MBP (which has a more than two times slower CPU than yours - a late 2009 17" MBP with C2D): I quickly rip it with MakeMKV to MKV files and play the latter with VLC. Absolutely no problems, even on my comparatively slow MBP.

I've gone this way after finding out out how weak the BD support in VLC is (IIRC, not even subs are supported when directly playing back BD's from VLC).

Of course, I rarely watch videos on my MBP - after all, that's what my ATV3 and iPad 3 are for. For them, I also need a quick remux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.