Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Is it just me or is Google voice search so extremely superior than Siri. With the Google search app I can use voice search in my own language and it gets everything correct. Siri doesn't even recognize the name Elvis Presley when I speak in English. Ex. Did you mean wrong.. Presley, Even Presley, Eye Presley!?

Apple really need to step up its voice search.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Agreed...I find myself constantly needing Elvis Presley related I formation on at LEAST a daily basis...screw the weather, sports scores, directions....:p

I bet you search for more stuff like that than sport scores or the weather! :)

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I don't know, the one time we did a back-to-back test between my 4S and a coworker's Galaxy Nexus running Jellybean the Siri results were much more consistent than Google's. Asking the same question three times in a row the Android phone once timed out, once produced the results in a card, and once spoke them aloud. I think we both came away with the impression Siri did better, but YMMV.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Siri was able to hear me say Elvis Pressley fine, and so did Google voice. :p

I do like that Google voice supports my language. However Google voice doesn't hear me perfectly in my language every time, I still need to test it a bit more.

For the most part I have no use for them, I mostly use them for fun. Although I do like to use Siri when I can't bother to open my eyes and set the alarm on my iPad :D.
Only used Siri for less than 1 week, and I barely ever use Google voice.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Siri was able to hear me say Elvis Pressley fine, and so did Google voice. :p

I do like that Google voice supports my language. However Google voice doesn't hear me perfectly in my language every time, I still need to test it a bit more.

For the most part I have no use for them, I mostly use them for fun. Although I do like to use Siri when I can't bother to open my eyes and set the alarm on my iPad :D.
Only used Siri for less than 1 week, and I barely ever use Google voice.

Okey, maybe its just me that listens to Avis Presley! ;)

antdawe

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
you cant compare the two.

Google search is what it says a glorified voice search.

Siri is a personal assistant and is far more integrated into the phone.

Goolgle simply searches google and other sources and puts them onto pretty cards.

Having used both daily I can assure you that siri is the clear winner.

reminders, appointments, contacts, plus everything the google one does.

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
you cant compare the two.

Google search is what it says a glorified voice search.

Siri is a personal assistant and is far more integrated into the phone.

You can compare the voice recognition capabilities, which is what I think this thread is about?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I think it's totally fair to compare google voice search to apple's dictation.

Thee dictation button being built into the keyboard for any text entry makes it so more useful, but are the results better for one than the other?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Siri does ok for me (USA) as far as voice recognition goes. The only thing I don't like is it relies on network data for everything. I hate when it times out just trying to send a text.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Is it just me or is Google voice search so extremely superior than Siri. With the Google search app I can use voice search in my own language and it gets everything correct. Siri doesn't even recognize the name Elvis Presley when I speak in English. Ex. Did you mean wrong.. Presley, Even Presley, Eye Presley!?

Just use what works best for you.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Didn't want to start a new thread, but google voice search is now enabled inside the google app from the App Store. Pretty awesome. Now if it could just be its own seperste icon on the home screen with having to open the app...

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Voice search is less functional, but I do enjoy the more natural-sounding voice.

It's only less functional because of Apple's strict policy on 3rd party applications that provide similar functionality to that of core IOS apps. Hoping they will relax this in the future. Or you can always Jailbreak.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Are you saying you are mixing up 2 languages? Your 'own language' plus the words "Elvis Presley"?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Speaking of multiple languages, Google search, and voice recognition, you guys should try out Google Translate.

I spoke to Google Translate in multiple languages such as: English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese.

Seems to work pretty well. It doesn't understand a few languages like Vietnamese and wasn't an option for voice recognition.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Straight up. Siri sucks. There's not one thing someone can say to convince me other wise. On the other hand, like you stated, Google Voice is extremely slick, accurate and quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.