Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #76
ownamac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Anyone got a time machine set for 1996?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
2007 will do me fine.
Or Jan 2009 when AAPL traded under $80.
ownamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #77
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky3891 View Post
You need to check out the after hour quotes.
Stocks are still traded after 4.00pm, when the markets close.

If you go to google finance, and search for AAPL. I think it is just hovering around $700 now.

Some people (traders) would have made quite abit of money on this, if they bought it last Thursday.

I would not recommend anyone buying this now, I think it is over inflated, most likely it would drop back down soon. If you see it go negative 3 consecutive days, then sell, or sell short.

Kenan
Over-inflated based on what? Based on incredible revenue and profit? Based on the potential for a record-breaking holiday season for the biggest quarter ever posted by any company? Based on the potential for two new products in the pipe (iPad mini, TV) that could catapult Apple to more profits and cross-selling? Based on the growth of the smartphone and tablet sector and Apple having the leading product in both sectors? Based on a forward P/E ratio of 13.24 which is likely going to correct to somewhere around 15.5 once Q4 completes?

AAPL can go negative 15 consecutive days and make it up in one day once folks come to their senses -- you need look no further back than a few months ago when the stock dropped to $530 over a course of several days and then jumped all the way back to $575 in a single day. Your stock advice seems about as amateur as it gets. The fundamentals backing AAPL's price are very strong -- this is hardly the kind of speculation you see going on with stocks such as AMZN or NFLX. Apple is doing this in an otherwise mediocre market because its fundamentals are so strong:

- Incredible Profit
- Great Revenue
- No debt
- $150B cash assets
- Growth potential with leading products in growing sectors

Apple is in the dominant position right now, which means one of two things has to happen. Somebody else has to come up with something incredibly innovative to change the game (like the iPod did to MP3 players and the iPhone did smartphones and the iPad did to PCs) or Apple has to screw up royally. They just announced their flagship product which looks like a home run from where I am standing and there is no indication that Tim Cook is about to shoot Apple in the foot.

No doubt that all things that go up, must come down, but from the looks of the way Apple is performing they could coast for at least 24 months if they did nothing new and innovative (heck, RIM coasted for 3.5 years with nothing innovative with a smaller install base and Microsoft has coasted for about 5 years on Windows licensing revenue). Somehow you think that three days of a dipping stock price means the end of an era.... sure, that makes sense.
BC2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:48 PM   #78
johnnymg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Not according to my research. Its overextended and time for a break.
Stick to your day job!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:48 PM   #79
seashellz
macrumors 6502

the naysayers and the soreheads have been predicting APPLEs demise since......the iPod came out....APPLE at $1000 iPhone world #1 seller? SOON-the Winderz dinosaur is dying-the age of mammals is here
seashellz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:48 PM   #80
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
The rise of Apple's stock has presented an interesting problem for some mutual fund investors. Buying a large-cap mutual fund, say an index fund, is supposed to diversify your investments, but if you aren't careful you are putting more and more of your eggs in one (Apple) basket.
Index funds and ETFs must periodically rebalance. A year or so ago AAPL's presence in the NASDAQ composite was adjusted downward, causing the stock to fall as index funds and ETFs scrambled to make their adjustments. I'd expect talk of an adjustment to come around again soon if this trend continues, since AAPL has risen more than 50% since the last time. Also anticipate talk from the unschooled about how it's all a stock manipulation conspiracy.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:49 PM   #81
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes. I invested $4000 in the company in '96 before Steve came back. If I had held it all, I'd be sitting on around $850 grand... Didn't, though... I still have 125 shares...

Dale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:50 PM   #82
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post
Stick to your day job!
LOL! That IS my day job... and I'm doing quite well thank you very much.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:51 PM   #83
webman2k
macrumors member

Okay, first - wow - insane. Second, here's a list of things I want Apple to design and build. They have the cash, they can do it:

1. A Car: Put the american auto industry back on the map. I want a sedan and an SUV to choose from. All electric.

2. A Space shuttle: Because it would look fantastic

3. A Microwave freezer: Why doesn't this exist yet. Come on! I want 5 second ice and 3 second ice cream. I can think of 100 more uses.
webman2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #84
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
Apple has enough money to give one billion people a free iPhone, assuming the $650 price tag.
Apple doesn't have their market cap in cash. The stockholders have it in stock. Apple only has about $120B+ in cash. (only )
mbh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:53 PM   #85
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Have you tried searching UPS? I have no email either, but if you go to UPS and "search by reference" and put in your cell #, you will see where it is. Mine just left Chek Lap Kok, China. Yes, I lol'd at the name, too.
I tried this and it says it's in Illinois and scheduled for delivery on Friday... Something makes me think that its the cables I ordered though.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:53 PM   #86
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

I just took a massive samsung.
OtherJesus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:56 PM   #87
Skevaboy
macrumors member

So glad i bought my 1,500 at $97 back 2007, what a ride up and stock is still cheap , $800 by Q2
Skevaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:56 PM   #88
Apollo231
macrumors regular

Can anybody hear the Bubble about to burst? It will crash and it will make a lot of people mad
Apollo231 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:57 PM   #89
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Too far, too fast. Time for a break.
Check the P/E and cash-on-hand. This stock is still undervalued.
LagunaSol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:57 PM   #90
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
Remember when the iPhone 5 was going to be a failure?
It seems just like yesterday people were saying that...

...wait...

It WAS yesterday people were saying that.

What does it matter, they're probably saying it right now too.
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:58 PM   #91
blueflame
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by webman2k View Post
Okay, first - wow - insane. Second, here's a list of things I want Apple to design and build. They have the cash, they can do it:

1. A Car: Put the american auto industry back on the map. I want a sedan and an SUV to choose from. All electric.

2. A Space shuttle: Because it would look fantastic

3. A Microwave freezer: Why doesn't this exist yet. Come on! I want 5 second ice and 3 second ice cream. I can think of 100 more uses.

RE#3...

I have literally thought about this since I was 10. This is the first time I have heard anybody get what I mean. That's great. Heck, I'll throw down on kickstart!

Made my day
blueflame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:00 PM   #92
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Check the P/E and cash-on-hand. This stock is still undervalued.
Yes, but the rise has been meteoric and now EVERYONE owns AAPL. There are not enough buyers left.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:00 PM   #93
Telf84
macrumors newbie

if only steve would never have allowed to shut up and take my money

sorry, bit of an overload there
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #94
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
See after hours quote.

AAPL almost doubled since last year after Job's passing.
With no substance. This growth is based on pure hot air. Especially when Apple blows itself.

This level of growth is stupid, we last saw this sort of growth leading unto the dot com boom and the the big bust. This value of Apple has no substance behind it. The assets they have and profits are not enough to maintain this share price.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #95
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builddesign View Post
I smell a big fat bubble worst than 08.
Bubbles are irrationally-overinflated values.

Apple has $120 billion in cash and a low P/E of 16.4. That's not a bubble. That's a company that is going gangbusters and is valued accordingly.

You want bubble? Try Amazon's P/E of 318.5.

Imagine what Apple would be worth at Amazon's absurd valuation.

Good thing I don't listen to the naysayers, who were yelling "bubble" at $60/share (and earlier).

Long in AAPL since 2001 - and holding strong.
LagunaSol is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #96
WWSPJD
macrumors newbie

Thanks Steve for the help from up above.

I first bought AAPL when I was 17 with all the money I had saved up, at the time I paid $205 a share.

Today I am so happy that I invested against what my entire family told me not to waste my money in the stock market and everyone my age who thought I was an idiot to blow money on things other than going to party.

Steve Jobs would be proud of Tim Cook and I can say I am too, the performance of Apple hasn't waned for even a second, and I pray it will keep going up, because this is my life starting money. One day I will put it to some really good use.

Everyone who still thinks this is a high price to buy in at, YOU ARE MISTAKEN.

Aapl will hit at least $1000 and at some point the stock will split, allowing even more of you to enjoy the splendor. So even if you can afford 2 stocks next year you will be hundreds of dollars richer, I can't see a better place to invest with such little money in todays economy.

(Today I am 22)
WWSPJD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:05 PM   #97
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

That's an awesome unit of price: "one Google".
JTToft is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:06 PM   #98
rmwebs
Banned

I wonder if the US Govt. would ever break a company up for being too valuable
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:07 PM   #99
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
I'm guessing that means mine is coming via FedEx given my orders were put in at about 12:20 PST. I still should be in the 9/21 delivery range.
From what I understand, UPS delivers from CN to the US, then Fedex takes it from there to residential/businesses. I was told this by a Fedex employee. Mine is slated for 9/21 and is "on time," as well - my order went through at 3:12 Eastern
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #100
kasei
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Let me know when you are going back to 1996. I'd like to take that trip. There are quite a few things I'd like to sign my name to.. Apple, Google, Angry Birds, Facebook, several lotteries and a few world series.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion