Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
UK
This is not a question of if apple would even do it, but if apple choose to license its OS, would you still buy an iMac? If not, what would you go for?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
This is not a question of if apple would even do it, but if apple choose to license its OS, would you still buy an iMac? If not, what would you go for?

I would buy an Apple display, Apple keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and build my own box.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA

Tough call, I love the looks of it, but at the same time the hardware pricing is bit steep, most likely I would build a hack though. This is coming from a current 2011 mini owner.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
UK
I'm not sure what I'd do, I want an all in one due to desk space and I like the form factor. There are a few nice all in ones out there spec wise, hard to decide if the great finish and looks of an iMac are worth the premium.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I would build my own without a doubt. iMacs are nice to look at, but they're a service nightmare if anything goes wrong out of warranty. I like being able to swap hard drives, clean my cooling fans, etc, etc..

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If I didn't need OSX at all (and fed up waiting for the imac), I would definetely get the hp z1.
But not sure if its a magnesium casing or plastic :confused:

Shane1905

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
UK
I would build my own without a doubt. iMacs are nice to look at, but they're a service nightmare if anything goes wrong out of warranty. I like being able to swap hard drives, clean my cooling fans, etc, etc..

That's a good point, be nice to upgrade my own parts easily. Are other all in ones just as much of a pain in the ass?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
That's a good point, be nice to upgrade my own parts easily. Are other all in ones just as much of a pain in the ass?

I have idea. I haven't looked closely at other all in ones to be honest

I think building your own is the best way to go. I've been building my own PC's since the early 90's. So why not build my own MAC?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
While I would prefer to not have to deal with fixing my computer anymore (I just don't have time to fix them anymore) and would rather drop it off at Apple if there is an issue... I hate their GPU choices and delays. I'd end up building my own strictly for my choice in GPU and nothing else.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Great question! Much as I love my MBP, my biggest draw to Mac is OSX... I'd probably select another set of riggings/hardware to trim cost in some places and add expense in others.... I'd like to be able to do minor repairs myself too... the best thing about a PC

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
As much as I love Mac desktops, I would have to say I would build my own machine... It probably (most certainly) would not be as well built as Apple can build them (I know all the problems with building PC's because I have done it many times) but I would rather take my chances than being forced to buy a laptop that I do not want or need...

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

As a former iMac user, the reason why I'm not a current iMac customer is that, unlike standard desktops, you can only upgrade the RAM on an iMac. On standard desktops, you can upgrade literally anything. As a Mac user, I switched from being an iMac user to being a MacBook Pro user because with the non-retina unibody design, I have easier access to any component than just about any laptop on the market provides. As a gamer, I switched from being an iMac user to being a PC tower user because I am literally hampered by nothing; iMac graphics are never bleeding edge; at best, it's comparable to a low-mid range video card. Plus, I can upgrade, change or do anything. Sure, there's boot camp, but any tower I build will smoke any iMac Apple builds at games.

So yeah, if they chose to license their OS, I'd go out tomorrow and build myself an OS X monster. Then next week, I'd start trying to build and sell them en masse. Apple's desktops are all stupid. It's a shame though, because OS X is fairly solid. At least their laptops are more or less solid.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
So yeah, if they chose to license their OS, I'd go out tomorrow and build myself an OS X monster. Then next week, I'd start trying to build and sell them en masse. Apple's desktops are all stupid. It's a shame though, because OS X is fairly solid. At least their laptops are more or less solid.

Having said what I have said earlier... About building my own machine... You do understand that the major difference between Windows PC and a Mac is that a Mac is not built by any Dick, Tom or Harry in their bedroom? If it was, you would have just another system that would work averagely on some machines, and just terribly on all the rest.
As for gaming... I do agree, Macs are not built for that, not even the Mac Pros...
So, if you want a gaming machine... Build a PC.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

The question is... who is going to support those masses of "OS X monsters" ? Apple sure as heck isn't... they haven't certified the hardware, so they won't support their software on it. So I hope you have masses of staff to support your computers when problems develop. Including software issues...

do1984

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
I'd probably use a Samsung Series 9 for laptop and would build a "monster" as a desktop, using my actual Apple Thunderbolt Display.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Laptops, I'll always buy Apple hardware. I like the looks and quality. Desktop, I'd build my own with high quality parts.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'd still buy a macbook pro. I like the case, the trackpad, the keyboard and the screen.

desktop? I'd probably still buy an imac, but could be tempted to build a custom box myself (have done so many many times before when I was in the PC camp)

But for me, desktop hardware is dead. I'm not a hard core gamer any more, and the mbp runs the games I do play just fine.

the27thvoice

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Norway
Like most people here, I'd also build my own computer. The great and compact look of Macs are simply not worth the money I'd save putting it together myself.

While it's a fun thought that Apple may as well let us do that since they apparently don't care to do regular updates on desktops any more, I also think this thread perfectly demonstrates why they shouldn't give us the option.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd build my own. But we can already do this now "unofficially" and I haven't yet. So maybe I wouldn't haha.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Although I really enjoy building my own computers and have done so for many, many years, I also have found that home-built computers are difficult to sell, whereas Macs sell very well and provide a good return on the original investment (even old ones sell). If you consider the true end-to-end cost of a computer, the price of a Apple produced one can actually be cheaper than a build-your-own one, even if you don't include the consideration of your time to select, purchase, build, and test your project.

However ... if you want absolute top performance in each and every component in your computer ... build-your-own is really the only option!

-howard

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
If Apple licensed OS X, I would start selling down parkas to Satan's minions. :D

I would too. That and give up any investment in Apple since they would essentially have to discontinue OSX - you can't beat MS at a game in their own playground...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.