Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
applewins
macrumors member

How to create a social website?

Hi everyone

I was wondering how to create a website such as "Youtube" or "Facebook", on which everybody can register an account, log-in and post some stuff like videos, text or pictures.

- What kind of program do you need (or recommend) to build such a website?
- What would be the easiest way to host this website (buy my own small server?)

I know already a little about website-building, but I've never found any program offering those features (log-in zone + account, etc.)

Thanks for your help
applewins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

Simplest way is to use forum software - something like Invision Power Board or vBulletin (both commercial - there are free alternatives though).

Next is to arrange hosting. If the site is small, shared hosting will be okay. If it's likely to be busy, then a dedicated server is going to be required. You'll need recent versions of both SQL and PHP to get started, but most hosts offer those options these days unless you're going for real bargain basement hosting.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
reedmartin
Banned

If you or anyone you here needs cheap hosting let me know! OP you can install a variety of cms type software which will give you the functionality you need. joomla, drupal, WordPress to name a few
reedmartin is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwPSFpLX8I
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
shakeelahsan
macrumors newbie

I need help with website building.

Can anyone help me build my websites, using Durpal/ Joomal etc.
I have following domains and want to build websites for each. I would appreciate your ideas/ business plan suggestions and recommendations as well as help with working on website development.

www.CloudEngineer.me
www.iCloudEngineer.com
www.ArchitectureOrbit.com
www.CMEC.biz

Last edited by shakeelahsan; Apr 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
shakeelahsan is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
bronxred
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applewins View Post
I was wondering how to create a website such as "Youtube" or "Facebook", on which everybody can register an account, log-in and post some stuff like videos, text or pictures.
Sounds incredibly ambitious. How did it go?

If you need CMS [Content Management System] hosting, I've played with Joomla and Drupal at Dreamhost, who I love. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind.

You have to realize you're not gonna create the new Facebook out of it. They use incredibly expensive custom-built software that they're always refining. But Dreamhost does have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel with ONE-CLICK CMS installation (your choice of many).

Jake

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: removed referral link
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development