Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm going to get rid of my White 16gb At&t 4S. I was able to create a trade-in for $400 credit just a few hours before the iPhone 5 announcement on Amazon (it's down to $375 now I think)

Should I take the Amazon credit or try to sell it for cash and hope to get about $375 cash for it? I'm having a hard time deciding which way would be best to maximize my dollar. I shop Amazon often... but now that they are taxing in California, it will probably be a bit less.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I have this same debate going on.

My cutoff day to send in my 4S for $405 in amazon credit is 9/19. Swift and hassle free. Even if I didn't need any products from Amazon (which I do) I could always use the credit simply on $80/year Amazon Prime service for 5 years due to their netflix type selection of movies and TV shows.

I could also sell on craigslist for $350-375 but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Uh, they sell damn near anything.

I plan on buying 350 dollars in condoms and 50 dollars in candy... :p

----------

Make note your Amazon credit cannot be used for the Amazon Mobile Store (phones, etc.)

Pre-ordered my 5 directly from Apple. But it won't be here until Oct 2.

----------

My cutoff day to send in my 4S for $405 in amazon credit is 9/19. Swift and hassle free. Even if I didn't need any products from Amazon (which I do) I could always use the credit simply on $80/year Amazon Prime service for 5 years due to their netflix type selection of movies and TV shows.

I could also sell on craigslist for $350-375 but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

My Trade in date is also 9/19... only got 2 more days to do it... :( And I'll just miss the iOS 6 cut off.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I plan on buying 350 dollars in condoms and 50 dollars in candy... :p

----------

Pre-ordered my 5 directly from Apple. But it won't be here until Oct 2.

----------

My Trade in date is also 9/19... only got 2 more days to do it... :( And I'll just miss the iOS 6 cut off.

I originally did Amazon, but eBay turned out to offer more money for their instant sale. You might want to check that out. Basically eBay has a 3rd party company that buys them all, and then sells the phones themselves on eBay, so they offer a pretty decent price.

I just don't want to deal with selling on eBay and then having a jerk buy it that doesn't pay, or does pay and claims its not the same condition or some crap. It's not worth the extra $50 bucks to me. So I'm doing eBay Instant, and they extended the date until October 1st for me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I originally did Amazon, but eBay turned out to offer more money for their instant sale. You might want to check that out. Basically eBay has a 3rd party company that buys them all, and then sells the phones themselves on eBay, so they offer a pretty decent price.

I just don't want to deal with selling on eBay and then having a jerk buy it that doesn't pay, or does pay and claims its not the same condition or some crap. It's not worth the extra $50 bucks to me. So I'm doing eBay Instant, and they extended the date until October 1st for me.

Hmm... I'll check that out right now!

Only 300 cash... meh.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA

I need to send mine tomorrow. So I ordered BLU T172 phone and micro sim adapter, total $43.75 (next day shipping and tax included). My wife hate smart phones, so the BLU phone will be her upgrade after 9/21. I can't wait to taste the no smartphone experience again :)

audx

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
Craigslist it, Sold my 32gb 4s last week for $380, applied that to new 32gb 5, All in all i swapped out my 4s for the new 5. Plus with CL you get the cash not the hassle of credit

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Craigslist it, Sold my 32gb 4s last week for $380, applied that to new 32gb 5, All in all i swapped out my 4s for the new 5. Plus with CL you get the cash not the hassle of credit

I live in LA... I'm slightly afraid I'm going to get mugged... But yeah that was my plan on getting around $375 Craigslist. So I don't have to pay Amazon anything.

Oh wait... just noticed... so do you!

----------

I need to send mine tomorrow. So I ordered BLU T172 phone and micro sim adapter, total $43.75 (next day shipping and tax included). My wife hate smart phones, so the BLU phone will be her upgrade after 9/21. I can't wait to taste the no smartphone experience again :)

I picked up a Pantech 4070p for 33 bucks, (which I paid for with traded in blu-rays I got for free. :p) It's a GO phone with a QWERTY keyboard that looks a little like a BB Bold.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I live in LA... I'm slightly afraid I'm going to get mugged... But yeah that was my plan on getting around $375 Craigslist. So I don't have to pay Amazon anything.

Oh wait... just noticed... so do you!

----------

I picked up a Pantech 4070p for 33 bucks, (which I paid for with traded in blu-rays I got for free. :p) It's a GO phone with a QWERTY keyboard that looks a little like a BB Bold.

Meet at Starbucks or something for Craigslist.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I'm done with EBay and especially Craigslist (too much risk for just a few bucks). So I've locked down prices with both Amazon and Best Buy.

My 4S is $395 @ amazon vs $353 @ Best Buy. Both are store credit so since BB will do the trade in same day I pick up my iPhone then I'll take the loss just for the convenience.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Cash is KING, amazon would have given me $40 more for my iphone 4, however I'd rather get the cash from Gazelle.

IMO

Amazon is $370
Gazelle is $218

$152 is definately more than $40, but that's the 4S.

The 4 is $79 more on Amazon, $210 vs $131 for the 16GB VZW version. Just about double your $40 requirement.

blazinz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Did this, goes smooth. Done

Starbucks:
Done this for the past 4 years now...

Put my phone up for sale on CL as a feeler on 9/12.. Got a few responses and a few scams.. You weed them out . I was asking $370 for 16gb AT&T white 4s with a couple tpu cases nothing crazy. Found a buyer we met at Starbucks. He checked it out offered $360 to see if I'd come down a little. Took the cash and left. On my way home deposited the cash in the ATM. At midnight I went online and preordered a new black 16gb. I do have an upgrade each year. So this always works out for me the same way. Basically a new phone and a free months bill. This year it actually went towards octoberfest. :D.... Till next year ;)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
No bites at all on Craigslist... There is too much competition and my iPhone is due in a few days if I want to get the Amazon Credit... I'm just going to do that instead.

Thanks all for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.