Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
lightmyway
macrumors member

Prepping my MBA for iPhone 5 - dilemma

My MBA only has a 128GB hard drive, which means that ever since I got it (a few months ago), I haven't been able to do a full iPhone 4 backup, because the iPhone starts transferring my apps to iTunes and there's not enough room on the MBA HD.

This hasn't been a big problem, but I just realized that I don't know how I'm going to set up my iPhone 5 when it arrives. I know I could move my iTunes library to an external drive, but I really don't want it to live there. I have iTunes Match so, besides apps, everything fits nicely on my MBA. I want my apps to live on my iPhone and iPad, not on my MBA.

Is there a good/easy solution to this? I don't want to sync my iPhone 5 and only have a fraction of my apps put on there, and I don't want to have to re-download them one-by-one from the App Store.
lightmyway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Simply don't sync your apps with iTunes, there's a checkbox you can uncheck when you connect your iPhone in the Apps tab. Download your apps from your iPhone itself from the App Store app.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
lightmyway
macrumors member

Hmm... this still doesn't solve the problem of me setting up the iPhone 5 without having to individually download each app from the App Store.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Dark Void
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmyway View Post
Hmm... this still doesn't solve the problem of me setting up the iPhone 5 without having to individually download each app from the App Store.
Sounds like you'll have to. Is it that big of a deal?
Dark Void is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5
iCole
macrumors regular

Backup your iPhone and iPad to iCloud?
iCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCole View Post
Backup your iPhone and iPad to iCloud?
This.

You'll still have to download each app one-by-one, but at least you won't have to do it manually (i.e., you won't have to go through the Purchased section of the app store and tap on each app you want to download).
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7
lightmyway
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattytail View Post
This.

You'll still have to download each app one-by-one, but at least you won't have to do it manually (i.e., you won't have to go through the Purchased section of the app store and tap on each app you want to download).
If I have a 32GB iPhone that's close to full, do I have to get the 50GB iCloud account to fully back it up? Or will one of the lower tiers work? In other words, I'm not sure what actually counts toward iCloud storage limits– the apps themselves or just the content with some apps (for example, podcasts downloaded into Downcast).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
iamsen47
macrumors regular

You can go into your iCloud settings on your phone to see which apps, their respective data and how much space each app is taking up. This will give you a rough idea of how much space you need.

Note that many cloud based apps (like evernote, dropbox, readability, etc) store their data on their own servers so the amount you'll actually upload to iCloud is much lower.

To be sure, just click on the create back up now and it'll show you how much space is taken.

My 16Gb is almost full but my backup barely hits 100mb.
I don't back up photos or music, only apps and contacts.
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air