Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightmyway

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
My MBA only has a 128GB hard drive, which means that ever since I got it (a few months ago), I haven't been able to do a full iPhone 4 backup, because the iPhone starts transferring my apps to iTunes and there's not enough room on the MBA HD.

This hasn't been a big problem, but I just realized that I don't know how I'm going to set up my iPhone 5 when it arrives. :eek: I know I could move my iTunes library to an external drive, but I really don't want it to live there. I have iTunes Match so, besides apps, everything fits nicely on my MBA. I want my apps to live on my iPhone and iPad, not on my MBA.

Is there a good/easy solution to this? I don't want to sync my iPhone 5 and only have a fraction of my apps put on there, and I don't want to have to re-download them one-by-one from the App Store.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Simply don't sync your apps with iTunes, there's a checkbox you can uncheck when you connect your iPhone in the Apps tab. Download your apps from your iPhone itself from the App Store app.

lightmyway

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hmm... this still doesn't solve the problem of me setting up the iPhone 5 without having to individually download each app from the App Store. :(

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Backup your iPhone and iPad to iCloud?

This.

You'll still have to download each app one-by-one, but at least you won't have to do it manually (i.e., you won't have to go through the Purchased section of the app store and tap on each app you want to download).

lightmyway

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
This.

You'll still have to download each app one-by-one, but at least you won't have to do it manually (i.e., you won't have to go through the Purchased section of the app store and tap on each app you want to download).

If I have a 32GB iPhone that's close to full, do I have to get the 50GB iCloud account to fully back it up? Or will one of the lower tiers work? In other words, I'm not sure what actually counts toward iCloud storage limits– the apps themselves or just the content with some apps (for example, podcasts downloaded into Downcast).

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
You can go into your iCloud settings on your phone to see which apps, their respective data and how much space each app is taking up. This will give you a rough idea of how much space you need.

Note that many cloud based apps (like evernote, dropbox, readability, etc) store their data on their own servers so the amount you'll actually upload to iCloud is much lower.

To be sure, just click on the create back up now and it'll show you how much space is taken.

My 16Gb is almost full but my backup barely hits 100mb.
I don't back up photos or music, only apps and contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.