Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Im getting my phone on Friday bought from Apple And deivered by UPS. I will need to go to ATT store get my sim card as i used my wifes upgrade( she has the4s and wants keep it cause we just got her sweet set up in her car). So i will need a new sim card.

My question would you get mad at someone that just needs a sim card and gets helped ahead of you? I dont want people mad but dont think if I have my phone already and dont think it should take more than 5 min to get a new sim card. I dont mind waiting in line but dont think should have be in a line to buy a phone.

What would you do? I know its going to be madhouse at the store but dont want to wait hours just for a sim card.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No need to go to the store, just call CS.

Please read the upgrade guide at the top of this forum.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I did call, and they said i need to go to att store to do the cross upgrade.

braddels

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
I'm in the same position (along with thousands of people who are on orange and tmobile here in the UK). I wouldn't be annoyed as long as there was a dedicated person doing just sims. I would be annoyed if someone just came in and said I need a new sim and I was meant to be served next. Maybe they need a Genius Bar-style system for tomorrow. Book your time slot. Would be helpful but we all know it won't happen. Just try your luck. If someone gets annoyed blame the shop for not having enough staff and a big product launch day

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I did call, and they said i need to go to att store to do the cross upgrade.

That's wrong unless you need a sim for the old phone. Call when you have the new phone in hand before activating. I've done this for several years now.

Edit: to clarify, the new iPhone comes with a new sim. You do not need another. CS makes the switch in the system.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
That's wrong unless you need a sim for the old phone. Call when you have the new phone in hand before activating. I've done this for several years now.

Edit: to clarify, the new iPhone comes with a new sim. You do not need another. CS makes the switch in the system.

I called two times and was told to go to my ATT store, dont know what else to say, so my question stands. My wife has her sim card and working fine.Im using an iphone 4 till the 5 gets here and selling the 4 unlocked, why called more than once. I was told they cannot do a switch these new nano types at this time. Must be done , for now inside a store or they will mail me a new sim. Might be a security thing.

iDabble

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
go in on thursday night and have them take care of it before you have the phone. you'll go thursday night with no phone, but avoid the lines friday.

audx

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
Just go inside and ask for a quick sim replacement see what they say, if people get mad oh well, once you leave they will forget, Done. Do it every year. Well except when its my upgrade :D

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Never crossed my mind that people would get mad. ATT's under no obligation to only fill iPhone orders on Friday. Your a customer and you just as much right to be there as someone buying the iPhone. Bestbuy's not going to close other departments, neither will the Apple store.

Deedolito

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Guess people would rather be glad that somebody does not get / want an iPhone. One competitor less ;-)

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I called two times and was told to go to my ATT store, dont know what else to say, so my question stands. My wife has her sim card and working fine.Im using an iphone 4 till the 5 gets here and selling the 4 unlocked, why called more than once. I was told they cannot do a switch these new nano types at this time. Must be done , for now inside a store or they will mail me a new sim. Might be a security thing.

You'll need a new sim since the one that comes with the iPhone 5 will be locked to that particular upgrade. Both my 3GS and 4 were bought using someone else's upgrade and I was able to take care of the swap inside the apple store.

This time since the phone is getting mailed to me this Friday, I'll also have to stop by the AT&T store. I was also wondering if would be out of there quick and easy with the obvious hectic morning. Looks like I'll find out Friday.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
well the iphone goes on sale this friday at 8a. so by the time you take delivery of your wife's phone and head to your at&t store, the number of people lined up to buy a new iphone will likely have died down considerably. regardless, i wouldn't be too concerned; you're an at&t customer, and you're no less worthy of customer service over someone intending to buy a new phone.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm in the same position (along with thousands of people who are on orange and tmobile here in the UK). I wouldn't be annoyed as long as there was a dedicated person doing just sims. I would be annoyed if someone just came in and said I need a new sim and I was meant to be served next. Maybe they need a Genius Bar-style system for tomorrow. Book your time slot. Would be helpful but we all know it won't happen. Just try your luck. If someone gets annoyed blame the shop for not having enough staff and a big product launch day

Why are you more important? They are a customer just the same. Just because it's iPhone release day it doesn't mean all they are doing is selling iPhones. If someone needs a SIM swap, pay a bill, or buy a flip phone they have just as much right to service.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

They are telling you wrong. Others called and were told what I'm telling you. And then there is this.

http://www.att.com/esupport/iphoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S

Thank you for your recent iPhone® purchase.
As we prepare to ship devices, we want to make sure that we set your service up the way you want it. iPhone 5 comes with a nano SIM card pre-installed. This nano SIM will be activated to the upgrade eligible phone number that you used to place your order. If that is the same phone number you plan to use with your iPhone, you are all set. Just follow the step-by-step activation instructions that arrive with your shipment.
However, if the number you used to order your device is NOT the number you intend to use with your iPhone, follow these simple steps when your device arrives and an AT&T representative will help you activate.
Charge your device if needed
Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that you used to place your iPhone order.
At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.
After speaking with an AT&T representative, turn on your iPhone, follow the on screen instructions and choose a Wi-Fi network. If Wi-Fi is not available, connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC with iTunes (http://www.itunes.com) and follow the on-screen instructions.
Please call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a wireless phone if you have additional questions. We're here to help ensure you have a great experience with your iPhone.

©2012 AT&T Intellectual Property.
All rights reserved.

Let's put it this way, it costs you nothing but a little time to try calling before you go.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I would also think that there would be a separate line for iPhones. If there is, it shouldnt be a problem. If there isn't, be careful. You don't want a line full of people that have been waiting there for hours, if not days, thinking you are trying to cut in line. Might cause a riot

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
They are telling you wrong. Others called and were told what I'm telling you. And then there is this.

Let's put it this way, it costs you nothing but a little time to try calling before you go.

Well this is good news. Glad I came to this thread. I was all set and ready to walk across campus to get to the ATT store. Glad I may not have to do that.

So I guess, thank you for being persistent. Many would have just said "OPs loss", but you took it upon yourself to show that link, and I'm grateful

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010

Called again and was told same thing, go to att store. I bought the phone from apple and not att. They are not able to change sims if bought from other place than ATT. They were not impressed that i quoted that someone on the internet say they should and read what you highlighted. Again, this could be related just to this iphone 5 and security or something. I dont know.

Last edited:

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
I bought my iPhone 4 on another person's upgrade and all I did was call CS after receiving the phone and ask them to activate that SIM on my number. All I had to do was tell them the IMEI number and serial number and they activated it for me on my number with no issues. I ordered the iPhone 5 on the same upgrade (got the 4S on my personal upgrade) and will be doing the same thing. No need to go into the store since the phone will come with an unactivated nanoSIM.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My question would you get mad at someone that just needs a sim card and gets helped ahead of you? I dont want people mad but dont think if I have my phone already and dont think it should take more than 5 min to get a new sim card. I dont mind waiting in line but dont think should have be in a line to buy a phone.

Here's a better question. Would YOU be mad if you were standing patiently in line and some dude waltzed up to the front of the line ahead of you and smooth talked his way into the store, beyond ear shot so you couldn't hear his reasoning for being allowed to brazenly cut the line? What if another showed up and did the same? How many reps do you think work in the store? 5? 10? 20? 100? Do you think they have spare reps just waiting around to give out SIM cards? Do you think the guy who spent 10 hours in line cares that you only need a SIM card?

The rule of thumb when determining if your actions are acceptable is "what if everyone did it?".

ldominguez1986

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Here's a better question. Would YOU be mad if you were standing patiently in line and some dude waltzed up to the front of the line ahead of you and smooth talked his way into the store, beyond ear shot so you couldn't hear his reasoning for being allowed to brazenly cut the line? What if another showed up and did the same? How many reps do you think work in the store? 5? 10? 20? 100? Do you think they have spare reps just waiting around to give out SIM cards? Do you think the guy who spent 10 hours in line cares that you only need a SIM card?

The rule of thumb when determining if your actions are acceptable is "what if everyone did it?".

Exactly, dosen't matter if it's a minute or an hour. A line is a line. It's only fair. Not saying you, but I can't stand it when people cut in front of me because they have a quick question or this will only take a minute. If I have to wait in line so should anyone else.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It would be sad if he waiting in that big line and was told "We're only doing new iphones today. Please come back another time for your sim card."

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010

No, i would not. The more people they got out quickly the better. It would be based on the situation. And i guess you answered my question, yes you would get mad. You brought up good points.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Oh, come on, Immanuel Kant.

ALL of theses stores will have an iPhone line and a regular line.

You think Apple's going to make you wait in a 4 hour iPhone line to buy a Macbook Air? Of course not. There will be people there to help you buy a computer. And why should anyone in the phone line be upset that someone else is buying a Macbook Air at Apple, or a Blackberry at Verizon, or a SIM card at AT&T?

Exactly, dosen't matter if it's a minute or an hour. A line is a line. It's only fair. Not saying you, but I can't stand it when people cut in front of me because they have a quick question or this will only take a minute. If I have to wait in line so should anyone else.

And if you're spending 3 hours buying a car at a dealership do you get pissed that another guy comes in gets his oil changed in 20 minutes?

Some things are just not the same line, even if you're in the same store. Telling the oil change guy he has to wait 3 hours until your loan is approved before he can get his car serviced is ridiculous.

Same thing telling a laptop buyer or the SIM card guy that they have to wait for all the iPhone people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.