Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone, I'm wondering how I would handle having one device run an iOS6 iPhone and an iOS5 iPad. I've got the original iPad and no $ to update, but it can only run iOS5. What happens when I update my iPhone 4 to iOS6? I have apps that run on both devices, but as those apps get updated for iOS6 on my phone they'll stop working on my iPad. Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks in advance! :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Broadly speaking, you should be fine. If there are a handful of apps that get updated to IOS6, make a list of them and don't update them on your iPad. In other words keep the older versions for your iPad.

I have a buddy in the same boat as you and that's what he's doing....Keep the older versions safe and you can continue to use the old iPad without problems.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Broadly speaking, you should be fine. If there are a handful of apps that get updated to IOS6, make a list of them and don't update them on your iPad. In other words keep the older versions for your iPad.

I have a buddy in the same boat as you and that's what he's doing....Keep the older versions safe and you can continue to use the old iPad without problems.

Sounds simple enough, but how do you avoid updating single apps on an iPad? - Edit: Nevermind, just looked at it real quick :), simple enough!

Davidgnomo - Yeah, I can't really afford to do that. I've been living in a country where I'm not legally allowed to work for awhile now, and it's eaten away at my savings. Money is too tight for that right now. I'm not even buying any apps / songs unless they're free :eek:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
It's a non-issue.

Any app that's compatible with iOS 5 will be backwards-compatible when it's updated for iOS 6.

Or have I missed something here?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.