Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
All,
As packages are now shipping or preparing for shipment, I thought I'd share what I have found. There have been numerous inquiries as to whether we will (still) be able to sign a release for our iPhones if we're not at home when FedEx delivers them. (In the past it was possible, but some have questioned whether this is still in accordance to FedEx policy.)

As many are now able to see, our phones are being shipped, many with Standard Overnight, and have the delivery service of "Indirect Signature Required." It took a bit of snooping, but I was finally able to find direct instructions regarding leaving the package at the door.

~~~~~​

Per Track By Reference Support:

Frequently Asked Questions
  • I'm expecting a package, when will it arrive?
  • How do I change the delivery address on my shipment?
  • I wasn't home when FedEx tried to deliver my package, now what can I do?
  • I won't be able to sign for my package, what can I do?
"For packages not requiring a signature for release, our drivers will leave the package at a recipient's door, or other secure location, if the driver believes it is reasonable to do so.

If your package was shipped with the Indirect Signature Release option, you may leave a signed and dated handwritten note on the door instructing the driver to leave the package at your door.

When the driver is unable to leave your package, they will leave a door tag on your door, informing you of the delivery attempt. The door tag contains information that may offer you the option to sign the door tag and have the driver leave your package in a secure location on the next delivery attempt, typically the next business day.

If signing the door tag is not possible because the shipper has requested an in-person, direct signature, you may request your package be held for pickup at your nearby FedEx Office location. For FedEx Express® packages, you may also request the package be held at the delivery station. Click here for FedEx Locations."

I hope this helps,
will

:apple::apple::apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: Appleseed18

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
FedEx is good with leaving packages. Good luck with UPS though. They will leave it if they feel like it no matter how many releases you sign it's ultimately up to them.

pa33

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Does "Indirect Signature Required" preclude using the "Hold For Pickup" option at local FedEx Facility? I know I had done that with an iPad which was from Apple.com but had ordered through verizon.com . Thanks.

MrLatte

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
If I couldn't be home on Friday I think I would feel better about redirecting the package for "Hold at FedEx location" instead of posting the signature release form at my door. Especially on a an iPhone-release Friday! I've had good luck with them holding packages at the local FedEx Kinkos - especially since it's on my way home.

JTTech

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Washington, DC
I live in an apartment building with a 24-hour front desk attendant.

Normally, the front desk attendant signs for all Fedex/UPS/USPS deliveries, and they keep them in a locked package storage room behind the front desk.

So is it safe to assume that I don't need to pre-sign for the iPhone, given that any other package requiring a signature is handled by my front desk?

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
I would be very cautious about leaving a note on my door and having my iPhone left at the door with nobody home. It is no secret that Friday is iPhone day and I am sure there will be plenty of shady characters trolling neighborhoods looking for an easy score. If I could not be home to sign I would just go pick it up Friday night or Sat morning at the station.

Last edited:

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Apple has told Fedex to not allow signatures on notes but it's up the driver and will depend on if you live in the hood or not

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Can fed ex hold my package so I can pick it up??

If I remembered the answer, I would tell you, but this has been discussed several times today. Do a forum search and see if you can't find it; it'd be faster than waiting for a response here.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Can fed ex hold my package so I can pick it up??

They must make one failed delivery first, then you can call them and tell them you want to pick it up. From what I remember reading, it was Verizon's doing, not FedEx's

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I am pretty sure there was a FedEx signature waiver form you can leave at the door for the driver.. Not sure where I saw it at?

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
It's too bad the hold at a FedEx location option isn't available. My assumption is they will need to make one attempt first. I'm a little skeptic about leaving a shipment release authorization note up on my door and having it left but hopefully nothing happens to it...This has been my main concern since I ordered it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.