Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Does anyone know of a way to carry the old YouTube and Maps apps from iOS5 to iOS6? In the perfect world, I'd like to have both versions.

Willing to jailbreak my 5 when I get it.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
no but the new youtube app can be downloaded from the app store and its a great app. much better than the previous one. google has already stated they will come out with a maps app in the near future as well.

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
no but the new youtube app can be downloaded from the app store and its a great app. much better than the previous one. google has already stated they will come out with a maps app in the near future as well.

The new YouTube app doesn't support AirPlay properly.

Hopefully Google will be quick with Maps as Apple Maps still needs a lot of work.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't see why you would want the original YouTube app back when the new one is much better. But nope, you can't Google Maps back as a native app.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
The new YouTube app is much better?

• No iPad support
  • No AirPlay support
  • No background audio
  • No scrubbing through videos
  • No volume control
  • No portrait support
  • No aspect ratio option (can’t zoom videos)
  • No way to edit playlists or favourites
  • No direct access to channels, playlists, favourites you have to keep hitting the back button (which can be 10+ presses if you’ve been using the app for a while)
  • No video quality options (quality lowers automatically, rather than just letting it buffer)
  • No iOS 6 share menu
About the only thing that is improved, is that search is more granular now.

Apple’s maps are much worse than the old Google maps app. (at least outside USA)
Hopefully Google will release their own maps app soon, but I doubt it will be as good as the Apple one - Google’s apps on iOS are generally poor. We might get offline maps though, which would make it worthwhile.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
The new YouTube app is much better?

• No iPad support
  • No AirPlay support
  • No background audio
  • No scrubbing through videos
  • No volume control
  • No portrait support
  • No direct access to channels, playlists, favourites you have to keep hitting the back button (which can be 10+ presses if you’ve been using the app for a while)
  • No video quality options (quality lowers automatically, rather than just letting it buffer)
  • No iOS 6 share menu
About the only thing that is improved, is that search is more granular now.

Apple’s maps are much worse than the old Google maps app. (at least outside USA)
Hopefully Google will release their own maps app soon, but I doubt it will be as good as the Apple one - Google’s apps on iOS are generally poor. We might get offline maps though, which would make it worthwhile.

It is literally their first release. Calm down, give them a few months, and I'm sure it'll be up to par.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
[*]No AirPlay support

oh really?? :rolleyes:

Photo%2018-09-2012%2018%2010%2040.png

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
there's these great handy buttons on the side of the device..... they've been there since you purchased your iPhone they are called volume buttons :rolleyes:
The YouTube app automatically rotates the video in a way which puts the iPad volume buttons on the bottom of the device, making them inaccessible. Buttons can break.

It is literally their first release. Calm down, give them a few months, and I'm sure it'll be up to par.
And iOS 6 is out tomorrow.

It’s just a port of their Android app over to iOS. Google even have a tool to convert Java (Android) to Objective-C (iOS) now. That’s not to say they put no effort in, but it’s not like they wouldn’t have known about their license with Apple expiring.

Try actually using it. When you do that, it tells you to turn on AirPlay mirroring on your device. It does not support AirPlay audio/video streaming.

Probably because they are using a non-native player which lacks most of the functionality that the standard iOS player has. (volume control, scrubbing, rotation, zoom, airplay, background audio etc.)

I’ve also had their non-standard progress bar refuse to respond to any input until I exit fullscreen and make it fullscreen again. That’s never happened with the standard iOS player.

Last edited:

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
its amazing how many people go shooting there mouth off about stuff when they obviously haven't actually checked the facts!

• No iPad support - Its coming!
  • No AirPlay support - Wrong, works fine!
  • No background audio
  • No scrubbing through videos - Wrong, click the video and oh, there's the controls for skipping to a position.
  • No volume control - Wrong, use the volume buttons on the side!
  • No portrait support - Wrong, turn it sideways, you get full screen video. For browsing? why the hell would you want half a screen to browse with anyway?
  • No iOS 6 share menu

The rest you can blame google for but i'm sure some will turn up in future version!

Gees do people even check before posting? its like the people who still believe you can't use your own music on it and have to buy it all from apple! :rolleyes:

----------

Try actually using it. When you do that, it tells you to turn on AirPlay mirroring on your device. It does not support AirPlay audio/video streaming.

then Google's not implemented it properly... not apple's fault!

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
No iPad support - Its coming!
There is going to be an iPad app “in the coming months” so it is potentially months until we have fullscreen support for YouTube back on the iPad.

Fullscreen in the app does not fill the screen because they are using a non-native player, and they broke fullscreen on the mobile site weeks ago.

No AirPlay support - Wrong, works fine!
It doesn’t work. If you want to use AirPlay, you need a device that supports mirroring, and are locked into the YouTube app while video is playing. (unlike standard AirPlay where it works in the background)

youtubeh3sp6.png

No scrubbing through videos - Wrong, click the video and oh, there's the controls for skipping to a position.
You can select a point on the timeline, but it does not support scrubbing through a video.

Scrubbing through a video is when the image updates where your finger is on the timeline. With the YouTube app, you have to keep selecting a time and releasing, hoping that it is the part of the video you were looking for.

In the native iOS player, you are also able to scrub at variable speeds, which is useful for long videos, with the YouTube app there is one speed.

No volume control - Wrong, use the volume buttons on the side!
Which are now on the bottom of the device if you are using an iPad. (and inaccessible if you’re standing the iPad up that way)

No portrait support - Wrong, turn it sideways, you get full screen video. For browsing? why the hell would you want half a screen to browse with anyway?
You are locked into the landscape orientation for videos, portrait videos do not play correctly:

picture1zsy2r.jpg
picture2kslnf.jpg

Gees do people even check before posting? its like the people who still believe you can't use your own music on it and have to buy it all from apple! :rolleyes:
Please don’t accuse me of not checking these, when you actually haven’t checked to see whether they are working correctly or not.

then Google's not implemented it properly... not apple's fault!
Believe me, I don’t blame Apple for it!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
First Apple scorns Adobe. Now they burn their bridges to Google. :( I hope Tim doesn't piss off Balmer or he'll drop MS-Office for OSX. :eek:

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
No way at all. None. And it will not change back.

Anyone hoping Apple will go crawling back to Google with their tail between their legs is sorely naive.

pckeenan

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
Jasmine is great...but...private uploaded videos?

I agree Jasmine is a wonderful replacement to the native YouTube app. However, the one thing i cannot figure out is how to play private videos i have uploaded. I tried to subscribe to my own channel but the red-bar error message stated “User may not subscribe to own data”. I also tried hitting the developer link but it just said “coming soon”. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Apple maps replacement: maps.google.com or a free app on the appstore
Youtube replacement: YouTube app, m.youtube.com, or Jasmine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.