Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
kirisame
macrumors newbie

Odered my first mac 2 days ago

Hello the community,

Just bought a 2012 MBA as my first Mac. I have been a somewhat long time Windows user (from Windows 98 era I guess) and I am at my junior year in college. I major in Computer Science and realized it is a good idea at least to get use to different OSs. The only contact with Mac and Linux I have was when I was in school's lab where there are public machines for students to use. I would like to get a personal Mac so then I will have more time playing with it, also I would like to install a Linux on it. Its basically a fashionable learning machine to me and I think it is worth the investment.

So let me narrow down my questions:

1. As an immigrant from Windows, I would like to know if there are any software that is recommended to be installed after first boot? I know stuff like Java and flash but are there more? How do I prepare a good environment for everyday usage?

2. Is there any linux version out on the Internet that supports mid 2012 MBA? I know drivers are perhaps the most difficult problem to solve. I would like to install a linux on my MBA and learn the OS throughout this process.

I am trying to get use to the Mac environment first and perhaps the Linux later on. Again, MBA is a beautiful machine and I am willing to spend a lot of time on it.

I am an international student BTW, and I apologize for my poor English.
Thank you for your time.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Forget everything you learnt from windows.

Turn on your Mac and keep an open mind.

Enjoy

----------

p.s I don't think they ship with Flash anymore. (which isn't a bad thing)

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirisame View Post
1. As an immigrant from Windows, I would like to know if there are any software that is recommended to be installed after first boot? I know stuff like Java and flash but are there more? How do I prepare a good environment for everyday usage?
Be sure to leave Java disabled in your browser until you visit a site that requires it. Then enable it only for the duration of your visit.

Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

What AV would you recommend? *snigger*

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
What AV would you recommend? *snigger*

Your noggin.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #6
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

The built in Mac App store is a great resource to find applications you need. Also don't hesitate to ask you questions on one of the forums here.

Once you get used to your new machine you'll hate to go back.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
kirisame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Be sure to leave Java disabled in your browser until you visit a site that requires it. Then enable it only for the duration of your visit.

Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

This is what I need! Thank you for providing the link because I didn't even know they have one.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:07 AM   #8
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is what I need! Thank you for providing the link because I didn't even know they have one.
You don't need AV I was johshing.

If you're lucky some kind soul will give you a link explaining why

Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
kirisame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
You don't need AV I was johshing.

If you're lucky some kind soul will give you a link explaining why
Sorry I quoted the wrong post, I knew I don't need an AV. But maybe 10 years after when Macs users become a very large groups? Hard to say.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:10 AM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Sorry I quoted the wrong post, I knew I don't need an AV. But maybe 10 years after when Macs users become a very large groups? Hard to say.
Would you consider, say, 50 million to be a large group? The market share theory is hogwash.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:15 AM   #11
kirisame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Would you consider, say, 50 million to be a large group? The market share theory is hogwash.
From what I found online, Macs are just less vulnerable to viruses. So I mean its hard to say that there will never be an AV for macs in the future.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:18 AM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
From what I found online, Macs are just less vulnerable to viruses. So I mean its hard to say that there will never be an AV for macs in the future.
That's very true. There is much less Mac malware in the wild today than there was when Macs had a much smaller market share, but no OS is impervious to malware.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:04 PM   #13
dwiese42
macrumors newbie

Quote:
2. Is there any linux version out on the Internet that supports mid 2012 MBA? I know drivers are perhaps the most difficult problem to solve. I would like to install a linux on my MBA and learn the OS throughout this process.

I am trying to get use to the Mac environment first and perhaps the Linux later on.
RE linux, I recommend you install a VM application like Virtual Box, Parallels, or VMware, and then install linux as a virtual machine. That way you can play with linux while still running all your Mac applications at the same time.

I use parallels and was able to install Ubuntu directly. I have also used Virtual box, which is free.
dwiese42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:52 PM   #14
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
IMO, use Firefox as your web browser over Safari. Many on the forum will disagree with me, but Firefox is a superior browser to Safari.

After installing Firefox, simply visiting a website will allow you to download the Java SDK. You will then need to enable it if needed.

Flash for Mountain Lion is available on the Adobe website. I have not experienced any overheating issues by using Flash on a Mac.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 VERY well in VirtualBox on OS X. If you are going to do this I recommend at least 8GB of RAM so you can give Ubuntu 4GB while it's running. From everything I've read, VirtualBox does an EXCELLENT job of running Linux but comes up a little short when wanting to run Windows 7. If you want to run Windows 7 in a virtual environment, run Parallels or VMWare.

You can SSH from OS X into the virtual Ubuntu to retrieve any needed files.

All in all, OS X with Ubuntu can fill all your needs.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air