Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Question iPhone 5 car charger??

Will there be a car charger available anywhere on Friday?

I don't see anything at all on Apple's site.

On Verizon's site, all they have is a DC charger with USB ports... so you could use the cable that comes with the phone I guess. Or order a new one for $20, but that says ships in 2-3 weeks...

But what about a separate car charger? Or at least a separate cable that I could use with the USB car charger?

I really don't want to have the hassle of bringing my only cable to and from the car every time...

I'm also not spending $30 on an adapter. Screw that. I'd rather just spend that $30 on an actual car charger.

Has anyone seen anything yet??
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
akf2000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Will there be a car charger available anywhere on Friday?

I don't see anything at all on Apple's site.

On Verizon's site, all they have is a DC charger with USB ports... so you could use the cable that comes with the phone I guess. Or order a new one for $20, but that says ships in 2-3 weeks...

But what about a separate car charger? Or at least a separate cable that I could use with the USB car charger?

I really don't want to have the hassle of bringing my only cable to and from the car every time...

I'm also not spending $30 on an adapter. Screw that. I'd rather just spend that $30 on an actual car charger.

Has anyone seen anything yet??
won't be anything available for at least 4 weeks i guess.

I have bought the Apple Lightning-to-Micro-USB adaptor and will use that with a micro USB cable and USB in-car charger.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

One end of the new cable appears to be USB that goes into the charger. Many care chargers have a USB plug as well. That will do a hold over.
nostresshere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:40 PM   #4
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostresshere View Post
One end of the new cable appears to be USB that goes into the charger. Many care chargers have a USB plug as well. That will do a hold over.
I feel like you didn't read my post... That is not helpful if I can't even obtain an additional cable.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Geckotek
macrumors G3

I have a couple of these. They'll work great with the lightning to USB cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:57 PM   #6
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
I have a couple of these. They'll work great with the lightning to USB cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Yeah this is pretty much the same thing Verizon is selling... but, again... not helpful without a second cable

I don't want to keep bringing one single cable back and forth between my bedroom and 2 cars.

Looks like I'll be without a car charger for a few weeks I guess...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Yeah this is pretty much the same thing Verizon is selling... but, again... not helpful without a second cable

I don't want to keep bringing one single cable back and forth between my bedroom and 2 cars.

Looks like I'll be without a car charger for a few weeks I guess...
I'll buy a second cable for now and carry it around. When some 3rd party stuff is released for cheaper, I'll buy a few more. But I learned a while back that these modular style car chargers are by far better than all-in-ones.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
holyindian
macrumors 6502

Kind of expensive, but looks neat.

Plug it to an LED cable, can it look better at night in a car?

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHfXKYVQFjI
holyindian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
I'll buy a second cable for now and carry it around. When some 3rd party stuff is released for cheaper, I'll buy a few more. But I learned a while back that these modular style car chargers are by far better than all-in-ones.
How can you buy a second cable if they are not available...?

This is my problem, which everyone seems to be ignoring, lol...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:

Oh, hoping the stores will have some. *crosses fingers*
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
akf2000
macrumors regular

Quote:

i thought i answered you when I said I'm getting a micro USB adaptor and will be using that with a micro USB cable.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #12
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post
i thought i answered you when I said I'm getting a micro USB adaptor and will be using that with a micro USB cable.
And where do you obtain this? I've not seen a Lightining-to-microUSB cable, and there is nothing on Apple's site... They only list the regular USB, and it won't be shipping until next month.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a

It's for the EU only. So I'm sure you can find one on eBay when they're released.
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Shasta McNasty
macrumors 6502a

If you don't want to wait a few weeks just buy an extra cable for $20...if thats "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't have an iPhone anyways.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:27 PM   #15
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

If you have other accessories it makes sense to order an adapter. Cheapest way to continue to use all your existing accessories.
mactmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:30 PM   #16
daydayvol
macrumors newbie

I use a USB adapter. Plug my cable into it and then plug the adapter into the cig lighter. I also have a USB connection in my car to sync the iPhone up.
daydayvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:32 PM   #17
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta McNasty View Post
If you don't want to wait a few weeks just buy an extra cable for $20...if thats "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't have an iPhone anyways.
He doesn't mind the price, just the 2-3 week wait.

The only advice I can give is to check at Best Buy, Wal Mart, AT&T, etc. on launch day to see if they might have a spare cable in stock. I usually just charge my phone at night, so it won't be a problem for me to wait until Monoprice has them for a couple of dollars...then, I will pick up a few.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 PM   #18
akf2000
macrumors regular

Quote:
And where do you obtain this? I've not seen a Lightining-to-microUSB cable, and there is nothing on Apple's site... They only list the regular USB, and it won't be shipping until next month.
actually, good point, I'm in the UK and they're available here as part of the EU directive to support micro USB, I checked the US store and no sign of them!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #19
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta McNasty View Post
Uh... What are you talking about? Did you even "read" this thread? Clearly not. If reading before posting is "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't be on an internet forum anyway.

Thank you for your oh-so-useful input.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCole View Post
He doesn't mind the price, just the 2-3 week wait.

The only advice I can give is to check at Best Buy, Wal Mart, AT&T, etc. on launch day to see if they might have a spare cable in stock. I usually just charge my phone at night, so it won't be a problem for me to wait until Monoprice has them for a couple of dollars...then, I will pick up a few.
Yeah I don't care how much they cost, I just don't want to wait. I charge my phone every night too, so it's 100% when I leave in the morning. But depending how much I use it during the day at work, I may like to charge it on the drive home. I often have not-so-good reception in this building, so sometimes my phone puts a lot of effort into getting/sending data (no wifi here), which really takes its toll on battery life.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post
actually, good point, I'm in the UK and they're available here as part of the EU directive to support micro USB, I checked the US store and no sign of them!
Hmm that's weird... just saw that after doing some research. They should make those available here in the U.S. too! Sheesh ...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:18 PM   #20
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502

I ended up getting a Scoche ReVolt C2 dual USB charger. It barely sticks out of a cigarette lighter, I'll just use the supplied USB-Lightning cable for now until some decent third party cables hit the market. My wife still wants a one piece solution, but we may be waiting on that for a while.

jrbdmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Ntombi
macrumors 68020

I had an iPod/iPhone car kit put my car a few years back. It includes a fixed cable that's attached to the AUX IN at the back of my car's stereo. Obviously, I'll have to get that changed out.

I called the shop that installed it, and they'll do the labor for free (it won't take much time, but it's still a nice perk), so I'll only have to pay for the new cable.

The problem? Not only can they not order the new lightning to AUX cable yet, they don't even have pricing, or a time estimate. Looks like I'll be listening to CDs or (gasp) even the radio for at least a few weeks. It's going to turn into a race between the lightning/30 pin connector, and the new lightning/aux cable.

Ntombi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:57 PM   #22
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
How can you buy a car charger if it's not available? How do you know that Lightning cables will not be available?
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Sb1065
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Kind of expensive, but looks neat.

Plug it to an LED cable, can it look better at night in a car?

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHfXKYVQFjI
Will this work with the iPhone 5?
Sb1065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:18 AM   #24
holyindian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb1065 View Post
Will this work with the iPhone 5?
They will release one soon. Just check back later on youtube for iphone 5 led cables.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdmb View Post
I ended up getting a Scoche ReVolt C2 dual USB charger. It barely sticks out of a cigarette lighter, I'll just use the supplied USB-Lightning cable for now until some decent third party cables hit the market. My wife still wants a one piece solution, but we may be waiting on that for a while.

Can you please provide a link to that model of the usb charger... preferably US seller.
A google search throws up multiple models by the same brand.
holyindian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:05 AM   #25
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdmb View Post

I like it, but how do you take it out...? Looks nearly impossible

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories