Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Has anyone ever purchased a MacBook at Staples? I have $175 in gift cards, and will probably end up putting it towards a MacBook.

Does anyone know if I go in and ask for a Special Spec MacBook for order if they'll be able to get it in for me from Apple?

Thanks

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Staples does not sell MacBooks. They are not an authorized reseller, so no they wont be able to order it.

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
That's actually incorrect. Here in Canada you can order them from staples.ca. And some of the Staples' do carry them in store as well.

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have, I work at staples and yes we are an authorized reseller. Only about 1/4 of the Canadian stores have the macs in store, im not sure about the American stores though. The macs are the same ones you would get in an apple store and any special orders come directly from apple California. Hope this helps!

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
My bad, I was referring to U.S Staples stores. I wasn't aware that Staples carried Apple products in Canada. If thats the case, you would still likely need to order through Apple for any custom configuration.

Last edited:

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My bad, I was referring to U.S Staples stores. I wasn't were that Staples carried Apple products in Canada. If thats the case, you would still likely need to order through Apple for any custom configuration.

We can do the custom configuration orders in store, they get shipped to us from apple California. I just received my retina 2.6/16/256 that I ordered in store and it came in from California

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
We can do the custom configuration orders in store, they get shipped to us from apple California. I just received my retina 2.6/16/256 that I ordered in store and it came in from California

Good to know. I'm hoping the 13" RMP gets released in October and I'll definitely be coming in to do a special order.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012

interesting even apple stores in canada do not let you order online and custom through the store

i thought staples was just a 'dell' peddler hmmm

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
interesting even apple stores in canada do not let you order online and custom through the store

With Staples doing so and having the customer come into the store to pick up their custom laptop I'm guessing they're hoping they can also convince you to buy accessories for your new MacBook (Cases, Laptops, Cables etc)

I'm sure they could have it shipped right to your home but they'd miss out on potential sales on those extra items

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada

We don't sell Dell :D

With Staples doing so and having the customer come into the store to pick up their custom laptop I'm guessing they're hoping they can also convince you to buy accessories for your new MacBook (Cases, Laptops, Cables etc)

I'm sure they could have it shipped right to your home but they'd miss out on potential sales on those extra items

Theres always the extra's that are worth selling, but even still the custom order is done in store and shipped to store, it has to be paid for in advance and we order it in. Wether or not the customer buys accessories its still top line sales.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Has anyone ever purchased a MacBook at Staples? I have $175 in gift cards, and will probably end up putting it towards a MacBook.

Does anyone know if I go in and ask for a Special Spec MacBook for order if they'll be able to get it in for me from Apple?

Thanks

Why not just use that gift card toward AppleCare... And get your Macbook from apple? If you are a student you can get a $100 gift card. This you can use for software, music, etc. Save the gift card for stuff from staples like ink or printer?

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Why not just use that gift card toward AppleCare... And get your Macbook from apple? If you are a student you can get a $100 gift card. This you can use for software, music, etc. Save the gift card for stuff from staples like ink or printer?

My girlfriend actually works at staples. Employees get %10 off on laptops and can finance them with a %25 deposit with the remaining amount left to be paid over 26 biweekly payments without interest as long as you're employed at staples. Or something along those lines

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
sweet.

What specs do you want to upgrade? Me personally I would just go with the high end Macbook Pro stock. Then down the road upgrade the hard drive and ram if you can.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
My bad, I was referring to U.S Staples stores. I wasn't aware that Staples carried Apple products in Canada. If thats the case, you would still likely need to order through Apple for any custom configuration.

That's where it usually helps if the OP mentions his location.

b.tuszkiewicz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
sweet.

What specs do you want to upgrade? Me personally I would just go with the high end Macbook Pro stock. Then down the road upgrade the hard drive and ram if you can.

I'm actually holding off another month and waiting to see if a 13" MacBook Pro Retina Model is released. And I'll do my upgrades from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.