Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I used my wife's phone line to upgrade to the iPhone 5 but I am the one that will actually be using the phone, not her line.

I called Verizon and they said I will need to stop into the store and get the SIMM card replaced.

Is this going to be a hard process? Are they going to have to tear apart the phone to get to it?

Or will it be accessible easily?

Any way to get around them doing this if they DO have to take it apart? I really don't want any one messing with my device.

Thanks for the info and please excuse my ignorance on the topic. Fairly new to this.

MagnusF

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I used my wife's phone line to upgrade to the iPhone 5 but I am the one that will actually be using the phone, not her line.

I called Verizon and they said I will need to stop into the store and get the SIMM card replaced.

Is this going to be a hard process? Are they going to have to tear apart the phone to get to it?

Any way to get around them doing this if they DO have to take it apart? I really don't want any one messing with my device.

Thanks for the info and please excuse my ignorance on the topic. Fairly new to this.

This is all they will do

04-iphone-4_4s-sim-slot.png

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012

I've talked t a few reps. As far as I know you won't need to replace the sim card at all.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Ok great. Thank you very much for your response to my newb question. I really appreciate it.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
SIM cards on all iPhones, you just have to insert a paper clip, or the "official SIM card removal tool" to remove the tray which holds the SIM card.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK

The SIM for the iPhone 5, is the new nano SIM, whereas the SIM for the iPhone 4 is a Micro SIM, (slightly larger), so they might be telling you that you will need to get a replacement nano SIM for the IP 5.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The sim that comes in the phone can be programmed remotely like any sim. There's absolutely no reason to waste time & money going in to any carrier. It can all be done over the air (OTA) by the carrier. It's one simple phone call.

iHarrison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Madison, Wis.
I had this question at first as well.

Called AT&T and found out YOU DO NOT need to do anything with the SIM card.

Here's all you need to do (via AT&T):

"If you are an existing upgrading customer who plans to activate your new iPhone from a mobile number other than the one used to upgrade:

1. Call 1-800-331-0500 from any phone, or 611 from an AT&T wireless phone.
2. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
3. Choose Option #2 to activate your device on a different mobile number.
4. An AT&T Representative will assist you with the remaining activation process."

Basically, you just call them, explain you're upgrading to iPhone 5 on a different number than the one you ordered with and then they switch things over the phone before you plug your new iPhone 5 into iTunes to finish the upgrade. :D

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
^^^^

so for my situation noted below, can i just order online then call when it arrives?

we have 2 iphone 4s on a family plan. i want to order the 5 as and added line to get the $199 price, which i can do from Apple or AT&T. t

the SIM change is tossing a loop in my plan. i want my existing 4s # to be transferred to the 5. the new # goes to the 4s which i am giving to our kid. yes, lucky kid.

stopped in an AT&T store where i was told just to swap the SIMs. well, that cant be done since they are different.

i am reading that i just need to NOT activate it when it arrives and visit a store front to explain what i want and they will assist me. do i have my plan straight here?

much thanks. later.

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
yup, i was just told the same info. i was told the first time that i would need to go to the store, then i talked to someone about an hour ago, and that person told me that i would not need to go into the store, that they could do it over the phone. hopefully, the second rep was right, seeing as im trying to avoid the store at all costs

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The sim that comes in the phone can be programmed remotely like any sim. There's absolutely no reason to waste time & money going in to any carrier. It can all be done over the air (OTA) by the carrier. It's one simple phone call.

Exactly, that's how carriers (at least here in the US) have been doing it for quite some time. You call in with the ICCID in the current system, but with Apple in the mix, iTunes/Wi-Fi activation will just do it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.