Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CiFi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
40. After switching my plan around to the Mobile Share and talking for awhile, the girl told me they are getting 40 phones in 6 different models... So I'm thinking i'll have to be there by at least 12AM Friday.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
40. After switching my plan around to the Mobile Share and talking for awhile, the girl told me they are getting 40 phones in 6 different models... So I'm thinking i'll have to be there by at least 12AM Friday.

Seriously... you got bad information. The inventory is already IN TRANSIT to stores, and the average stores are getting THOUSANDS per store. You got some seriously bad info.

Do you think Apple could plan on selling "8 million by this weekend" if they've taken 2 million preorders (I better tell you that leaves 6 million yet to sell), and they have 246 stores in the US and they expect half the sales to come from Apple stores, that means each store expects to sell 10k phones over the course of the long weekend.

40 per store x 6 models = 216,000 over the weekend companywide. They wouldn't have estimated 8 million if they're only able to deliver 1/24th of that. Jeez.

Apple Store Employees are the last place I get reliable info from, FYI

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Seriously... you got bad information. The inventory is already IN TRANSIT to stores, and the average stores are getting THOUSANDS per store. You got some seriously bad info.

Do you think Apple could plan on selling "8 million by this weekend" if they've taken 2 million preorders (I better tell you that leaves 6 million yet to sell), and they have 246 stores in the US and they expect half the sales to come from Apple stores, that means each store expects to sell 10k phones over the course of the long weekend.

40 per store x 6 models = 216,000 over the weekend companywide. They wouldn't have estimated 8 million if they're only able to deliver 1/24th of that. Jeez.

40 sounds about right for an AT&T branch, which is what I think OP is talking about. Of course Apple stores will have hundreds, if not thousands.

REDTAZ

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California

I believe he's talking about an AT&T store....

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
What the heck is 6 different models? I can think of a 16gb 32gb and 64gb model. That is three. Unless they meant for both colors.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
If you ordered a black 64gb and received a white 64gb, would you accept that as
"the same model?"

Huh? I think the wording model, its kinda weird. I guess technically there is only one model the iphone 5 lol. With three different storage capacities. And two colors. So i think the wording confused me lol.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Another wasted post.

Maybe this store is getting 40. Maybe not. Who knows how big or small this store is (no information from the poster).

Is it 40 total, or 40 of one type. ATT gets at least 6 types.

Does this person REALLY know, or are they guessing, getting 2nd hand info, etc.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I agree. The OP doesn't live in the center of the universe, so what's the point of the post?

att has about 6100 stores across the US - some big, some small; some in populated areas, others not so much. The allocation will be different for every store, not to mention some sitting in a warehouse somewhere for online purchases.

This thread says absolutely nothing.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
What the heck is 6 different models? I can think of a 16gb 32gb and 64gb model. That is three. Unless they meant for both colors.

Well,excuuuuuuuuse me.

Let me clarify

16 - Black
32 - Black
64 - Black
16 - White
32 - White
64 - White

That is six (6) of whatever you want to call them. Models, Skus, part numbers, models, types, phones, etc.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I used to live with an ATT rep. 40 sounds about right. A combination of Apple wanting all the profits and ATT not wanting to pay commissions mean that they limit the number of phones.

I ended up either waiting forever for him to get me a phone, or just caving in and going to the Apple store. Even recently the white 16 gb 4s was a bit of a rare bird at the ATT store.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
They are allocated by a store's volume. So it varies. More for heavier traffic stores, fewer for the less busy stores.

AaronTrieu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
i was like 700th in line for the iphone 4 at the apple store. I did not get one.

waited the 2 weeks or whatever for the carrier release. i was 12th in line and i got the last 32gig black. 40 is about right for AT&T. people that say they are getting more are silly.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
FYI

Gene Muster estimated that Apple can sell 8m Iphone during the launch weekend. We don't know how many Apple build or planned for the launch weekend. The 8 million number is for all 9 launch countries on 9/21 (US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Austrilia). And the way Apple account for sales (and where Gene's 8m come from) is that when they ship phones to a carrier like ATT, Apple will count that as a sales. Phone deliver to Apple store is not a sales until a customer pay for it. ATT & Verizon of the world pre-plan the launch day order from Apple. Apple will handle the logistic to ship the phone to customer and to the store. And ATT decide the number of phones and configuration for each store. 40 sound like very small number to me given previous launch history. But it will not be thousand and thousand either unless you have a really really big store with hundreds and hundreds of sales associates working that day. The need time to talk to customers and activate each phone. If each customer take 15 minutes to service, each associate can only help 32 customer in an 8 hours shift There is a limit on how many phones a store can sell. There is no reason to ship a store more phones than they can handle. ATT can always restock the store by getting more phone from Apple. During Ipad 3 launch, most Apple stores seem to get new stock everyday but BB and carrier store get restocking once or twice a week. The key is whether build enough of the phones and ship them to US (instead of the rest of the launch countries).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't know why you guys/gals are fighting over how many.
It all depends if it's a little AT&T kiosk or a store in a small town vs. the city.

40 of each I would assume is the average for most city carrier stores. The other member forgot that now the iPhone is sold on almost all carriers and that each carrier took their own preorders also which is where the biggest part of the orders come from nowadays. Also, maybe the 8 million is worldwide release weekend.

CiFi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
To clarify...6 models includes the 2 color options. And this is a local AT&T store near my house.

The local mall has an Apple store with an AT&T store on the upper level of the mall. The girl told me at this suburb branch that they will only be getting 40 iPhones and they were already delivered to the store. I'm sure my local Apple store will have over 1,000 considering it is one of 246 stores in the US.

This is just information I received and passed it along. I'm sure most local AT&T stores will be like this and Apple Stores will get the most stock.

kazpod

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I purchased the past 2 iphones on release morning at AT&T stores.

First experience they had 30, next phone they had about 60.

40 sounds right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.