Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 17, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

iTunes and MP3 et al

I read the Apple article on syncing iTunes with multiple computers in the home via Home Sharing and it worked great. Both the iMac (10.7) and Windows (7) computers now have the exact same music libraries.

I know how to go into iTunes and make an MP3 of a track or album, but iTunes puts the MP3 tracks under the same album as the original AAC tracks. In Windows I can see these under 'Libraries, Music, iTunes and so forth, and then filter for extraction.

Unfortunately, even when I've removed the MP3 tracks, leaving the AAC tracks, iTunes continues to think the MP3 tracks are present. I was making MP3 versions of my music to import into a Nexus 7 tablet, but I do not know how to resolve the iTunes behavior, let alone remove the MP3 tracks from W7 in such a way iTunes no longer thinks they are present.

Ideas or thoughts on this one? I'm running the latest version of iTunes on both the iMac and Windows computers.
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Jedi
macrumors regular

I too would like to know how to get my iTunes music that is stored in high quality to MP3.

Come you guy`s are smart , , please help us out !!

Thanks in advance

Gary 
Jedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I too would like to know how to get my iTunes music that is stored in high quality to MP3.

Come you guy`s are smart , , please help us out !!

Thanks in advance

Gary 
iTunes -> Preferences -> Import Settings -> MP3 Encoder.
Select the songs you want to convert -> File Menu -> Create new version -> Create MP3 version.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

I know how to create MP3s of tracks and albums. I want to segregate them. What's the [Apple] logic of having two instances of the same track and not knowing which is which? Also, how would one undo such a creation without simply deleting them (tried to, but iTunes still thinks they exist)?
Old May 17, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingGhost View Post
I know how to create MP3s of tracks and albums. I want to segregate them. What's the [Apple] logic of having two instances of the same track and not knowing which is which? Also, how would one undo such a creation without simply deleting them (tried to, but iTunes still thinks they exist)?
To find all MP3 files: Make a smart playlist with criteria "Kind is MPEG audio file". That's it. What's Apple's logic? Well, _you_ created the second track

I wonder how you deleted these files. The simple way is: Select the song in iTunes, backspace, click Ok on "Are you sure", then "move to trash".
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

I explained my logic in the original post (ahem, to make MP3 copies to export onto a non-iOS device). I know how to find the MP3 files outside of iTunes, but when I remove them (after the export) iTunes thinks they still exist.

Also, I questioned Apple's logic in iTunes the allowance of making multi-formats of tracks and then placing them in the same Album folder with no natural distinction between them. One had to look at the Get Info (for each track) to determine which is which in iTunes.

I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure of Apple's intentions. Maybe its just to discourage making MP3 files from the exist AAC library.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingGhost View Post
I explained my logic in the original post (ahem, to make MP3 copies to export onto a non-iOS device). I know how to find the MP3 files outside of iTunes, but when I remove them (after the export) iTunes thinks they still exist.

Also, I questioned Apple's logic in iTunes the allowance of making multi-formats of tracks and then placing them in the same Album folder with no natural distinction between them. One had to look at the Get Info (for each track) to determine which is which in iTunes.

I know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure of Apple's intentions. Maybe its just to discourage making MP3 files from the exist AAC library.
1. You are removing it outside of iTunes. You should remove using iTunes.

2. Use smart playlist to sort them, as already described. It takes few seconds to setup a MP3 and AAC smart playlist.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 09:52 AM   #8
JAT
macrumors 603

If removal is your goal, a playlist won't help since you can't delete from a smart playlist at all. And deleting from a regular playlist just takes it out of the playlist

Just go to the main browser in iTunes, add the Kind column and sort on it. Select all the mp3s using a click and shift-click to select the range, delete. And when it asks if it should delete them from the disc, say yes. Not sure about Win7, but on the Mac it doesn't actually delete them, it moves them to the trash. So you could recover them to other folders if that is a goal.

I agree it is annoying that iTunes files them in the same folder on the disc. I maintain a lossless version of my ripped discs, and any sort of separating is a major pain. Although, I don't really have a solution that would help. It can't sort them in 2-dimensional folders every way we want. Right now we are considering file type, but tomorrow it would be nice to copy a playlist to a USB stick or something. Just need to learn how to do all this in iTunes is the real answer.

Last edited by JAT; May 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 08:34 PM   #9
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

JAT, many thanks for the information.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:54 PM   #10
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
If removal is your goal, a playlist won't help since you can't delete from a smart playlist at all. And deleting from a regular playlist just takes it out of the playlist
Option-backspace deletes files that are in a smart playlist.

And if you created mp3 files to copy them elsewhere, and want to delete them immediately afterwards, they are probably all in the "Recently added" playlist.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 09:56 AM   #11
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Option-backspace deletes files that are in a smart playlist.
Thanks for the tip.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store