Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
avatar

Using every rules 75x75 and less then 29.3 KB my avatar still shows up as an X on my tablet, iPhone and PC. I've tried uploading and hosting from MR....

Any help?
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
It has been taking a while for avatars to update lately
I would give it a little time
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3
cynics
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
It has been taking a while for avatars to update lately
I would give it a little time
Thanks MacDawg,

Now in the time you posted its working.

Much appreciated!
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
cynics
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Actually, scratch that (not the thanks but the "it's working"). It seems to be displaying on tapatalk but not on the web.

I'll just wait it out though. I don't know how these things work, lol.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:49 PM   #5
cynics
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
So anyone else knows what I mean





__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
It's been taking a while to work. But I found, just yesterday, that if you remove your avatar completely, and leave it that way overnight, then upload in the morning, it works just fine. This gives the servers time to clear their cache and properly replicate the avatar.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Dark Void
macrumors 68000
 
Dark Void's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I did a forum search on this and it's nice to find a thread from today.

I just received the ability to use an Avatar and it shows up when I click on my user name but it's a "Question Mark" when I view my posts. I've tried a few, going to wait this one out to see what happens.

The fact that it takes awhile - noted! Thanks for the information in this thread.

EDIT: Oh, haha, it popped up! Magic touch I guess.
__________________
`
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB 1067 MHz 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Desktop 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5-3570K 8GB 1600 MHz 2TB 7200 RPM HDD AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB
Dark Void is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:02 AM   #8
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Both of yours are showing for me now, so looks like your patience paid off
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Void View Post
I just received the ability to use an Avatar and it shows up when I click on my user name but it's a "Question Mark" when I view my posts. I've tried a few, going to wait this one out to see what happens.
Welcom to the club, I just joined as well!

But besides popping up right away, my avatar seems really blurry, the colors differ too (compared to what I see in PS or when clicking into my MRprofile).

Any ideas how to get a sharper pic?
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Dark Void
macrumors 68000
 
Dark Void's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Welcom to the club, I just joined as well!

But besides popping up right away, my avatar seems really blurry, the colors differ too (compared to what I see in PS or when clicking into my MRprofile).

Any ideas how to get a sharper pic?
It's not as sharp as it is as a file on your computer? It does look blurry. Not sure if it would downgrade the quality before telling you that the imagine is too large (data size wise) or something.
__________________
`
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB 1067 MHz 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Desktop 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5-3570K 8GB 1600 MHz 2TB 7200 RPM HDD AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB
Dark Void is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #11
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Welcom to the club, I just joined as well!

But besides popping up right away, my avatar seems really blurry, the colors differ too (compared to what I see in PS or when clicking into my MRprofile).

Any ideas how to get a sharper pic?
What file format did you create it in?
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:48 PM   #12
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
jpeg with 99x99 pixel and about 28kb

edit: first I tried with 75x75 but that was even worse
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:11 PM   #13
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
jpeg with 99x99 pixel and about 28kb

edit: first I tried with 75x75 but that was even worse
Right on the 'Edit Avatar' page at the bottom it says this:

Quote:
The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 39.1 KB (whichever is smaller).
Try setting yours to those specs and see if that helps.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:19 PM   #14
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Right on the 'Edit Avatar' page at the bottom it says this:



Try setting yours to those specs and see if that helps.

Interesting, I have this shown up:

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Maybe you have more size available as a contributor?? But as I wrote, I tried 75x75 and now ~29KB both being blurry. Seems I have to try out some more..darn, thought there would be an easy solution.
But jpeg should generally be fine, or?
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Try .png or .gif. I usually have better luck with those.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:33 AM   #16
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thank's everybody.

I'll try(-ied) that Comeagain?..but there's a big difference between e.g. saturation in profile pic and the regular one - not to mention what I see in Preview or PS.
Even changed to black/white, but seems like it doesn't work. Strange thing is that it popped up right away when first uploaded and then stays the same even when I change something..never did an 'tar before seems to be more of a science than I thought.


Edit: sorry, just saw this. hope that'll help
Quote:
But I found, just yesterday, that if you remove your avatar completely, and leave it that way overnight, then upload in the morning, it works just fine. This gives the servers time to clear their cache and properly replicate the avatar.

Last edited by twietee; Sep 28, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:34 AM   #17
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Thank's everybody.

I'll try(-ied) that Comeagain?..but there's a big difference between e.g. saturation in profile pic and the regular one - not to mention what I see in Preview or PS.
Even changed to black/white, but seems like it doesn't work. Strange thing is that it popped up right away when first uploaded and then stays the same even when I change something..never did an 'tar before seems to be more of a science than I thought.


Edit: sorry, just saw this. hope that'll help
I'd try all that above, plus changing the format to .png and seeing how that goes. Really, loading an avatar is quite simple and shouldn't cause this much trouble.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:47 AM   #18
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
sorry for being too stupid to manage such an easy thing as uploading a simple gif-avatar, BUT I still don't understand why the uploaded image [coloured - as one can see by clicking on my profile] is shown in b&w[as you can see on the left] very mysterious I have to say.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #19
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
sorry for being too stupid to manage such an easy thing as uploading a simple gif-avatar, BUT I still don't understand why the uploaded image [coloured - as one can see by clicking on my profile] is shown in b&w[as you can see on the left] very mysterious I have to say.
Leave it for a few days, and see how it goes. Lately it's been taking a while to fully do it's thing.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #20
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Leave it for a few days, and see how it goes. Lately it's been taking a while to fully do it's thing.
wow, that was a quick replie. thank's again SandboxGeneral (love that name btw).
not that it bothers me much, as long as it ain't blurry as it was before. just quite curious....
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:19 AM   #21
twietee
macrumors 68030
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
just a little update:

oddly my avatear switches quite randomly from colourful to b&w and back to coloured...kind of like it that. You'll never know how it will look like the next morning. If one would ask me, it could stay that way.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massive Avatar Comeagain? Site and Forum Feedback 1 Dec 9, 2013 01:21 AM
Resolved: How to use a Avatar? iMichael! Site and Forum Feedback 6 Jan 28, 2013 10:52 PM
Resolved: No Avatar? Zeke D Site and Forum Feedback 2 Sep 29, 2012 08:48 AM
Wish this could be my Avatar!!! 7DSniper Community Discussion 4 Aug 7, 2012 09:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC